Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi! I'm new :)

Length
    CBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Default Hi! I'm new :)

Hello everyone, as the title suggest I'm a new member.
    I am a computer-science student from Italy and have been reading the forum for a while, so I finally decided to join. I have known about the existence of this forum for several years, although never visited until recently, when I began more interested in natural curly hair. I was pointed here while reading some hair-related blogs (The Natural Haven, Science-y Hair Blog, The Beauty Brains, Ktani's Hair Sense). I have also read the TightlyCurly and HennaForHair websites.

My current hair
    I have dark-brown, BSL, F/M, ii, curly hair. I'd say my curliness ranges between 2c and 3b, depending on which products or techniques I use, or if I use them at all. With no products my hair is 2c at the roots to 3a at the ends, while it tends more to a 3b with my current routine. Although I have read about the hair-typing system both here and on other websites, I am still a bit confused about it, so feel free to correct me if you think I got mine wrong. I have attached a few pictures of my hair at the very bottom of this post.

My attitude
    I am a very scientific type of person: I always try to find evidence for why something might or might not work. So I was very happy to find the aforementioned websites, because their authors experiment, analyse and provide explanation based on actual research when it comes to cosmetics. I also started to document myself on the types of ingredients contained in beauty products. This attitude helped me understand why something might or might not work to cut down on the nonsense found on the internet and save some money.

My goal hair
    I honestly don't know what my goal length is. The longest I have had my hair was BSL/MBL and it only lasted for a few months before I cut it to CBL/APL. For now I just want to let it grow and see how long it gets (before I get bored ). I hope I can get it to TBL or longer, but I'll focus on WL for now and then I'll see.

I was going to make this a very long post, explaining in detail my hair story and current routine, but I thought it would be better to stick to an introduction and start separate threads about such topics in the future.
    I hope I can learn from this forum and give it back my contribution of knowledge and experimentation.

Pictures
    As promised, here are some pictures. I apologise for the bad lighting, I tried to correct it a bit to show truer colours, but I can't really do anything with the overexposed/underexposed pictures and I couldn't get someone to take them for me. The first two pictures were taken yesterday to show my length both in both natural and stretched states. The last two pictures were taken roughly one month ago on a particularly good hair day (compared to my then standards).
    As you can see, my hair is shiny, though it shrinks a lot due to the texture. I have good curl definition despite some frizz, but it's acceptable.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hi! I'm new :)

Welcome to the forum.

I think those are 3b curls (the size of a sharpie).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I think those are 3b curls (the size of a sharpie).
    thank you lapushka, and also thank you for the clarification.
    let's see what other members think of my curl type.

also I forgot to mention that my bottom layer is quite thin due to various reason. I have many short layers on top, I used to cut my hair wet and wouldn't see the shrinkage on top, I used to get the worst tangles and breakage at the back, it is also the longest layer and the layer I cut the most off from, when I did my big search and destroy session. I will experiment more with dry cuts and gentler hair care in the future and hopefully be able to grow it thicker.

Length
    SL/KL/MTL
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Hi egcmi, hope you enjoy yourself here!

Good luck reaching your goal and if you think you might be tempted to cut your hair you could join one of lapushka's no-trim challenges

I would also agree with lapushka saying that you have 3b curls.
    Loose: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL
    Braided: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL

Length
    CBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ravenskey View Post
    Hi egcmi, hope you enjoy yourself here!

Good luck reaching your goal and if you think you might be tempted to cut your hair you could join one of lapushka's no-trim challenges

I would also agree with lapushka saying that you have 3b curls.
    thank you ravenskey!
    I don't know about lapushka's challenges but I'm curious, do you have a link?

Length
    CBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Oh, and by the way I am going to edit my hair type in my profile!

Length
    SL/KL/MTL
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by egcmi View Post
    thank you ravenskey!
    I don't know about lapushka's challenges but I'm curious, do you have a link?
    Here are the links for the second half of 2018 and all of 2019 and 2020 - both of the last also have half year threads if you don't want the full year.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=143313
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=144014
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=146186
    Loose: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL
    Braided: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL

Length
    CBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3b/M/ii

thank you ravenskey, I'll check them out!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Hi, welcome here (but I can't see your pictures).
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    CBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Hi, welcome here (but I can't see your pictures).
    Thank you Sarahlabyrinth!
    Oh really? I have no clue why they're not showing up for you. I tried opening this thread in a separate browser browser where I'm not logged into any account and I can see them. I have them on Google Photos and have embedded them pasting the link to the image file in between [IMG] tags, as explained in one of the beginner's threads.