• just cut the tangled hair

0 0%

Thread: tangled hair fixes

Lightbulb tangled hair fixes

Hi all,

TIRED OF TANGLED MESSY HAIR,

should i just chop and go back to pixie or can fix this

Default Re: tangled hair fixes

I think it would help if you put some details about the condition of your hair, how often it tangles, how much of your hair does it affect etc. Maybe a picture too if it would help.

Could you also explain what you mean by the various options? For example, trim only - how much of a trim? Fix the tangles - what do you mean by that?

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

If it's temporary tangles caused by a really windy day or lots of back combing and product then 100% just baste your hair in conditioner and slowly comb out. If it's because of damage, trim a couple inches or S&D. Wouldn't recommend chopping to pixie unless you actually want a pixie especially out of temporary frustration, because that's a loooong journey if you ever want to grow it again. Cutting chunks of tangle doesn't sound like a great idea, but if they're tiny tangles sure. 'Fix tangles' is a bit vague but if you mean just attacking tangles with a brush or comb on dry hair, that's a recipe for breakage IME.
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Natashap View Post
    Hi all,

TIRED OF TANGLED MESSY HAIR,

should i just chop and go back to pixie or can fix this
    What do you detangle with? A WT comb, a TT, or a wet brush. I would totally recommend a wet brush if you suffer from tangly hair. It is remarkable at removing tangles.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

- Step number 1 would be to try and fix the cause of tangles - I seem to recall seeing a thread or two about that so I'm assuming you have tried. It seems that some people's hair is just prone to tangling, and their best efforts result in reducing tangles, but not eliminating them entirely. In which case:
    - Step number 2 would be to try to learn to live with / manage the tangles the best you can. If you're still struggling or frustrated after some weeks/months:
    - Step 3 would be to trim a little, to see if that helps. If you feel you need to trim some more after that, wait at least 2 weeks (but preferably longer) to make sure it's a good decision.

Please don't have a pixie cut unless it is a hairstyle you *really* want. I've never experienced it, but from reading this forum it sounds like it's a lot of work to keep it styled, hassle to keep getting it trimmed often, and a nightmare to grow out!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Man some of you girls are crazy, my hair tangles should I chop it off? and other such threads I been seeing aye aye aye poor hair. I wont say yes or no that's up to OP but I will say hair tangles and some of us just have hair type that's more prone to tangle,knots,mats.
    For me since I have hair like this, is to comb it everyday or at least every other day and try to learn how to handle my hair instead of just chopping it all off. If one doesn't want to deal, then yea best to chop and keep it short.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I agree that the options are rather vague.

See, here's the thing: without knowing why your hair tangles, cutting to pixie could be entirely useless. My hair was very tangle prone even when virgin, and at a chin length bob. So cutting it isn't necessarily the right step. What you need to do is address how, and why the tangles occur.

Do you just have tangle prone hair? If so, I'm am sorry for you but you just have to try products till you find one what works. For me, NightBlooming's Selkie Detangler is a god send. I've recently started combining it with JOICO's Intense Hydrator - while my split ends, and white dots are still very prevalent, my hair itself is softer, and slightly less tangle prone.

Do you have severely damaged hair (bleach, heat, dye, etc.)? If so, trimming a bit (2 to 4 inches, and then maintaining till the damage lessen might be the best option. I know

What's your hair type? What's your routine? My hair is supremely tangle prone, and I find a mix of JOICO's Intense Hydrator (I mix with Garner Fructis Coconut Treat) + LOC using Nightblooming products (Selkie Detangler, Oil, Salve) right after a wash help a great deal. Sleeping with my hair in a satin-like wrap also helps. During the week, I some times oil my lengths, condition only, rinse out oil, and LOC my lengths. It now takes a few days to become super tangly (starts tangly on day one).

Are your tangles all over or just at the ends?

I know Arciela cut off bleached damaged ends, and ended up with smooth, tangle free hair. Depending on your hair, that may be the way to go.
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I think it would help if you put some details about the condition of your hair, how often it tangles, how much of your hair does it affect etc. Maybe a picture too if it would help.

Could you also explain what you mean by the various options? For example, trim only - how much of a trim? Fix the tangles - what do you mean by that?
    Ditto...not enough info.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    BSL/Thigh/Thigh
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

Just trim the ends and apply more conditioner. Maybe it's just damaged. I don't think it's necessary to go back to pixie.
    * BSL* MBL* WL* HL* TLB* Classic* Thigh*!!