Thread: I just realised...

Length
    14/21.5/29
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Default I just realised...

That my hair is now wavy. I had it cut short in 2006 and prior to that it was pin straight all my life. I kept it short until after DD2 was born in 2008. I never thought that my hair would change due to pregnancy, but now at APL+ length, it is wavy! This is the hair I`ve wanted all my life! But...I am not sure how to care for it the best really. If I brush or comb while wet, it goes straight again. How can I keep my waves? How can I enhance them? Any insight is greatly appreciated, but for now, more cheese dance! I love my hair!

Length
    1/8th/2-3"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I just realised...

Enhancing the waves you have can be easy once you get the hang of it First off, my hair goes straight when I comb or brush it too. What I do after I wet it is, just tousle it into the style I want with my fingers or a hair pick, and re-scrunch to get the curls back. Sometimes I will not touch it at all but it takes forever to dry.

Your hair is at the length that it can be braided now *lucky!* so braids are a great way to get waves in your hair too. Just english or french braid your hair, I usually would do it at night or after a shower when my hair is somewhat damp still (if it is too wet, it may not dry!), and shake loose after Whatever styling products you use are up to your own routine. The more braids you do at once, the smaller and tighter your waves will be Enjoy your newfound texture, waves are amazing!!
    Fresh Start
    1/8th"

Miss Blue Head. :) BlackfootHair's Avatar
    In front of the mirror looking for whites.
    Length
    23/Apl/35
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I second the scrunching. I am a no product kind of girl, I like my hair soft all the time. But sometimes I really like to play up my curls. I have tried a few curl creams with success. One is from Kenra, and the other is from Beyond the Zone, bought from Sally's. I just recently tried a spray gel from KMS for curly hair. It is amazing as well! I woke up with hair that was a mess today. I sprayed it with water, picked it out, sprayed the gel, and scrunched! After my hair dried it looked like I had loosened perm waves!

Yay for loving your hair!
    Rest in peace, little kitty.

Length
    14/21.5/29
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Thanks for the tips. I just hope I can scrunch properly to make it look good lol.

Length
    33/33/43
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

My hair used to be really really straight as well, until I had children, then it mysteriously turned wavy/curly....

To keep some of my curl, I use Paul Sebastian Potion 9, it's a leave in conditioner, but thick enough for me to use as a gel and it isn't sticky or stiff. I also have light layering throughout my hair too...

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I had straight-ish hair until I got to college, so hair texture does definitely change over time! I like to coil my hair in a bun on top of my head for sleeping as a wave to encourage both waves and body. I also like to do it after washing when my hair is almost dry. You might also search the forum on "plopping;" though I've never figured out how to do it myself, I think it's supposed to encourage waves and curls.
    Lady Philyra of the Blessed Parchment in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Proud member of the Renegray gang!

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Fingercombing to detangle, gentle scrunching with a little of your leave-in of choice, and sometimes French braiding bring out my waves the most. That said, by the time I get to wash day my hair's normally a 1B/1C, but on the plus side that does make off-day updos easier.

Length
    16/32-34/42
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I'd like to pipe in that Aloe Vera gel works great for scrunching, just be sure to get the clear kind!!
    "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him"1 Corinthians 2:9