Thread: Gray Hair Gone Brassy

Length
    18/22/36

Default Gray Hair Gone Brassy

Hello. I’m 60 years old with gray hair that always turns brassy when I try to let it grow long. I end up cutting it and starting over, only to have the same results.

I have put a filter on my shower head and experimented with some purple shampoos/conditioners as well as chelating treatments with so-so results. I’ve just reached the point where my lengths are picking up the brassy cast again and I do not want to cut my hair, so I have resolved to stop using high heat on my hair, learn to use no heat alternatives as much as possible, and finally find a product to get out the brass. I also want to strengthen and protect my hair from future discoloration so that I can let it grow as long as possible.

I am eager to hear from other grays (or blondes) who have successfully removed brassy tones from their hair without cutting them off.

Length
    Hip/Ftl/Knee
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Default Re: Gray Hair Gone Brassy

Hi and welcome!
    I used purple shampoo/conditioner to remove a bit of red from my hair and they worked well. Not a stark difference but a difference nevertheless. I used them a couple of times, consistence seems to be the key.
    I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Hi. I'm 58 and have grey hair.

Last year I bought a Kerastase leave-in conditioner. After the second application I was horrified when noticed a slightly golden tone to my hair.....turns out it contained "caramel" - not to colour hair but to colour the product. I chucked it in the bin.

Check the ingredient list on your conditioners, particularly leave-ins.

It's beautiful when gray hair naturally gets a honey blond tone.

Welcome to the forum I don't have any advice on the grays, but I'm sure someone on the boards does! Maybe you could ask on the mane forum?
    ✿✿✿ Last trim: 14/12/2023 ✿✿✿

Length
    3/3/20
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gu1nevere View Post
    Hello. I’m 60 years old with gray hair that always turns brassy when I try to let it grow long. I end up cutting it and starting over, only to have the same results.

I have put a filter on my shower head and experimented with some purple shampoos/conditioners as well as chelating treatments with so-so results. I’ve just reached the point where my lengths are picking up the brassy cast again and I do not want to cut my hair, so I have resolved to stop using high heat on my hair, learn to use no heat alternatives as much as possible, and finally find a product to get out the brass. I also want to strengthen and protect my hair from future discoloration so that I can let it grow as long as possible.

I am eager to hear from other grays (or blondes) who have successfully removed brassy tones from their hair without cutting them off.
    Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have long natural hair for 4 years. But starting over again with short hair now. My hair was brown with a lot of white, with thick white streaks. I noticed the sun turned one of my white streaks yellowish one year. So now I will cover my hair during summer time, or very sunny days. I never got the yellow out, It had to grow out. I tried purple shampoo, but it ruined my hair, became very dry and brittle, I had to cut the dry hair off. I'm not sure what factors will be contributing to your yellowing hair but look at every aspect of your hair experience for indicators as to why its happening. Lots of things can do this to your hair like the sun, hair products/heat styling. Good luck.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I have the same problem and I don't know why, I have tried purple shampoos and conditioners and they don't seem to make any difference. My hair grows silver out of my scalp and three to four inches along the strands they gradually turn blonde-ish. I have no clue why it happens and have just decided to enjoy it the way it is. It still looks ok imo.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR