Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back at age 48 - is it too late?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Back at age 48 - is it too late?

You planning on kicking the bucket before your hair's grown out? Of course it's not too late!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    6cm/6cm/bsl
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    You planning on kicking the bucket before your hair's grown out? Of course it's not too late!
    No, lol!
    I don't know why I swallow the "cut it and shut it" myth so easily. Short hair just doesn't suit me or feel right, I was always a long hair in my teens. It's who I am. I do know my limitations though, I don't think I could go all the way down without my hair looking too thin but I think I could go half way down my back.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think you're old enough to make your own decisions about your hair's length and style

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Well, if you're too old, then a heck of a lot of the rest of us are too old.

There have been various threads about this and they have all come to the same conclusions. Basically, do you want long hair and does it suit you? That's it. The 'you can't have long hair because you're too old/too grey/too male/too whatever' police are cordially invited to get stuffed around here.

I have no problem with short hair, either, if that's a person's choice, and it can look very attractive if it suits the person. But I've seen enough helmet hair to headgear an army.

As for where you can go, well, it depends on what you're looking for. I visit the 'no trims in 2011' thread because I'm not trimming this year. I visit the henna threads when I'm thinking about hennaing, the oil shampoo threads when I'm thinking of trying that, the shampoo bar threads, whatever. I also visit the S&P because even though I've only just got a few grey hairs, I'm interested in the discussion. Basically, what are you looking for? Support for growing past 40? Hair care ideas?

In any case, enjoy your hair!
    Last edited by skaempfer; February 24th, 2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: ETA
    Microtrimming, cowashing, hoping for a miracle.

Length
    12"/12"/15"+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hey! I'm 55 and had waist length hair in 2008. I cut it due to color damage. But now I'm back and I want my long hair back.

Every week when I go the supermarket, I see this older lady with hip length white hair; she's very petite and quite elegant!
    Strawberryfine

"Sea Witch Tia Dalma of the Infamous Black Pearl"

Length
    CL/SL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I love long hair on older women. The short, permed, fluffed to-all-get-out hair that seems to be popular among older women is just not attractive to me. And Ive seen enough with long, pretty hair to know that its not necessary to chop it at a certain age...

Void Where Prohibited ole gray mare's Avatar
    Length
    apl/hip/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Of course you're not too old! But what you may find (as I have) that my hair's color, texture and general thickness and growth rate have changed. However, because I baby it now, I've been able to achieve lengths that I couldn't when I had the hair of my youth.

So you may have to modify some of your earlier habits to suit changing hair, but that's really all.

Go for it!!
    ~Princess Goblin~
    This illustration perfectly captures how I spend dream time with my Lily

I don't think it's too late at all! I don't know about anyone else, but my grays are stronger and more resilient than my regular hair. They seem to grow faster too, which leads me to believe it will actually be easier to grow my hair out as I get older! I am 42 right now and am looking forward to growing old with long hair. I knew a Native American woman in her 80's who had hip length white hair and I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Her hair looked so much more elegant and dignified than those short "old lady" hair cuts that seem to be pushed on women as they age. It was healthy too. I say go for it!

Length
    chin/35"/term
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I sure hope it's not too late.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Gracious, no!

I'm 64 plus and I've had long hair for decades. It is much more versatile than short hair and you can certainly save money by taking care of it yourself instead of relying on salons (and scissor happy folks)!