Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Thanks foryour research, ktani.

My hair has not been crazy about coconut oil in the past, but I oiled my hair tonite with it, and will leave it in overnight. I plan to color tomorrow using Natural Instincts semi permanent.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    Thanks foryour research, ktani.

My hair has not been crazy about coconut oil in the past, but I oiled my hair tonite with it, and will leave it in overnight. I plan to color tomorrow using Natural Instincts semi permanent.
    Yo are most welcome.

The argan oil research looks promising too, as an addition to the coconut oil, not a replacement. If both oils are used lightly, they should not be a problem with dye uptake, (which has not been reported to be a problem, in any case) and may provide even more protection from chemical damage.
    Last edited by ktani; January 12th, 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

A big thumbs up on the coconut oil pretreatment!

I did a semi-heavy overnight coconut oiling. When I got up this morning, most of this had soaked in. I put my hair in a ponytail and misted my scalp to dampen hair(normally, I would do a full rinse to wet hair. Lazy today), then I applied a little more coconut oil.
    I applied Natural Instincts Semi Permanent color to my roots, and left it for 20 min. I have resistant greys, so I have to leave the color on longer.
    My hair actually had some slip as I rinsed the color out. Usually it has a stripped feeling. The color also rinsed out quicker.
    At this point, I would usually do a deep condition for an hour. Today I didn't--I wanted to see the full effect of coconut oil without benefit of a deep treatment.
    I combed my hair out--not much tangling--and added a tiny bit of conditioner as a leave in.
    It is dry now. I have only a little bit of frizz(I aam the Queen of Frizz usually), and better spiral curls than I have had in a while. The coconut oil did not seem to affect the taking up of the color, either.

I will always use coconut oil as a pretreatment now.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    A big thumbs up on the coconut oil pretreatment!

I did a semi-heavy overnight coconut oiling. When I got up this morning, most of this had soaked in. I put my hair in a ponytail and misted my scalp to dampen hair(normally, I would do a full rinse to wet hair. Lazy today), then I applied a little more coconut oil.
    I applied Natural Instincts Semi Permanent color to my roots, and left it for 20 min. I have resistant greys, so I have to leave the color on longer.
    My hair actually had some slip as I rinsed the color out. Usually it has a stripped feeling. The color also rinsed out quicker.
    At this point, I would usually do a deep condition for an hour. Today I didn't--I wanted to see the full effect of coconut oil without benefit of a deep treatment.
    I combed my hair out--not much tangling--and added a tiny bit of conditioner as a leave in.
    It is dry now. I have only a little bit of frizz(I aam the Queen of Frizz usually), and better spiral curls than I have had in a while. The coconut oil did not seem to affect the taking up of the color, either.

I will always use coconut oil as a pretreatment now.
    Wonderful news!

Than you so much for the report. Just so you know, I have not suggested not using conditioner post colouring, when using the oil as a pre treatment.

Length
    20.5/28/??

Hi Ktani!

I've been reading this topic for a while now and I find this research you are doing very interesting! I don't color or bleach my hair, so I can't help with the experiment although I'd love to be part of it.

While reading this topic, I started thinking: could coconutoil also help against OTHER damaging hairlighteners other then peroxide?

I have hair that lightens very easily by a little sun in the summer. But the sun damages my hair very fast too. So my questions is: could coconut oil help against sundamage (as in ultraviolet rays that lighten hair)?

Quote Originally Posted by Daoine Sidhe View Post
    Hi Ktani!

I've been reading this topic for a while now and I find this research you are doing very interesting! I don't color or bleach my hair, so I can't help with the experiment although I'd love to be part of it.

While reading this topic, I started thinking: could coconutoil also help against OTHER damaging hairlighteners other then peroxide?

I have hair that lightens very easily by a little sun in the summer. But the sun damages my hair very fast too. So my questions is: could coconut oil help against sundamage (as in ultraviolet rays that lighten hair)?
    Thank you. You bring up an interesting question.

Both coconut and argan oils chelate metals that generate free radicals. Coconut oil has been shown in research to help protect the hair against protein loss by everyday damage.

I did a rather quick search, in response to your UV question and found this.

".... exposure of cells to ultraviolet B radiation (UV-B) can induce the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) which damage cellular components. Free radical scavengers and antioxidants can interfere with the production of ROS."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12499117

So the answer to your question, is possibly, IMO. I have not looked into this further, at this point.

Thank you, again.

This gets even more interesting, IMO.

"Our results suggest .... the accumulation of hydrogen peroxide plays a key role in the oxidative damage to mtDNA of UV-irradiated cells"
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18249346
    Last edited by ktani; January 18th, 2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: adjust text

Argan oil can make the skin sun sensitive, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=151.

However coconut oil has not been reported to have such an effect.

If this is the case,

"Topical application of low dose green tea extract may help protect against UV damage, without the common side effects.

Such effects are likely to include the extract’s anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to reduce oxidative damage.
    .... scientists believe they have shown green tea extract to reduce UVB-induced damage at cosmetically usable concentrations, suggesting .... the extract has potential as an everyday photochemopreventative agent."
    http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.co...V-damage-study

coconut oil may also be able to do it.
    Last edited by ktani; December 28th, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: adjust text

I am not suggesting that coconut oil can replace sunblock, only that it may help reduce sun damage on hair.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I colored my hair this past weekend, and used coconut oil overnight before.....it worked really well.....I used more than one would use for a daily oiling, but less than I would use for a heavy oiling......

Hydrience color usually doesn't cause much visible damage to my hair, but the ends are pretty dry for a day or so afterwards (they do recover well, though)....with the coconut oil this didn't happen.

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights