Page 141 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141
Results 1,401 to 1,409 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    18 in/18in/floor

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

So trying this!
    Going to use some coconut oil on my hair before I lighten it to then dye it ginger.
    This won't be for a couple of months yet though as I need to be brunette for my next play. But I'll post photos when I'm done

Chin - Shoulder - Oxter - BraStrap - Waist - Hip - TailBone - Classic - Knee - Ankle - Floor

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

So, I'm not sure if you're still compiling results, but I tried this yesterday. I think I did it correctly, but here's my exact route:

Originally, my hair was dyed black with conventional dye, two layers. Underneath that was red and the crown had black ends (hence why I dyed it black).

Added coconut oil (unrefined, virgin). I added enough that my hair was slick. I then covered it with a bag and left it for sixty minutes, then left 30v bleach powder and developer and left it in for 45 minutes. It all went to a dark reddish brown, except for my roots, which went a pale ginger and the ends on my crown, which stayed black. So, I added more oil and processed the dark bits for another 15 minutes using the same process. After this, I COed with a protein-rich, 'cone free conditioner and added argan oil.

If there is any damage, it's extremely minimal and not immediately evident, but honestly, it feels exactly the same as it did before. What I can say is that it doesn't in any way feel like it normally does when it's bleached. It does feel marginally dryer than it did before, but I also used henna after all this, and that tends to usually dry my hair out, and my results are more consistent with fresh henna than peroxide damage.

Result (TLDR version): Little to no damage.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    27/Clasc/48
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Sorry to bring up such an old thread!
    I have a question for you guys. I just clarified my hair, towel dried it, and now its saturated with coconut oil. I plan on waiting an hour then using peroxide to make highlights. Is it alright if my hair is still wet by then? Should I let it dry?

Thank you so much, ill be sure to post my results (:

Length
    bob/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I don't think water will make any difference!
    How did it turn out?
    I'm having such a hard time giving up highlights, they give a bright, glittery look even indoors....addicting!!!

ETA: Would coconut oiling, then adding peroxide, and then henna immediately on top, provide ultimate damage protection + bright red color? Has anyone tried this?
    Last edited by leilani; June 29th, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Long hair until Henna disaster April 2014.... Big Chop April 2015 to cut it out. Growing my natural color long! My blog

Length
    27/Clasc/48
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Sorry it took so long for me to respond! The highlights didnt take for some reason. Probably because I only let the peroxide sit for several minutes. Do you find henna dries your hair leilani?

Length
    bob/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Loreal sunkissed jelly is like sun-in, but a leave-in gel. Worked on my hennaed test strands. Maybe try painting highlights with a brush, balyage style with that kind of thing? After coconut oil overnight of course.
    Long hair until Henna disaster April 2014.... Big Chop April 2015 to cut it out. Growing my natural color long! My blog

Length
    bob/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Forgot to say I haven't noticed dryness.

Length
    22 in/16 in/28 in
    Type
    4b/F/M/i/ii

Subbing for later

Subbing for later.
    Last edited by Untressed; January 23rd, 2020 at 11:36 AM.