Page 21 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Great! Thank you for the added information and I look forward to your update.

After my hair dried, I noticed no difference in the color uptake. My color is.....well.....intense, as always! As I said before, my ends are usually a little dry for a couple of days afterwards, but I don't notice that as much this time, since I pre-oiled. However, there is still a bit of dryness....so, I will do a heavy oiling tonight to see if I can help it recover completely.

I can only surmise that by pre-oiling each time, the dryness would probably decrease substantially, and maybe even be eliminated.

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    After my hair dried, I noticed no difference in the color uptake. My color is.....well.....intense, as always! As I said before, my ends are usually a little dry for a couple of days afterwards, but I don't notice that as much this time, since I pre-oiled. However, there is still a bit of dryness....so, I will do a heavy oiling tonight to see if I can help it recover completely.

I can only surmise that by pre-oiling each time, the dryness would probably decrease substantially, and maybe even be eliminated.
    Thank you for such a detailed update. I think that by using both coconut and argan oils, the results could be even better next time.

I agree that by pre oiling each time there should be better results.
    Last edited by ktani; January 19th, 2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

You can add me to this list now. I have now been using chemical color, and pre oil with coconut oil on the whole head of hair and have apparently no damage.

Added information:

Previously hennad hair, hennaing for a year. I decided to go with chemical color for speed and ease reasons, and chose "Satin" professional hair color gotten at my local beauty supplier. An hour before using color, i used about a pea sized amount warmed between palms of coconut oil, and applied throughout my hair smoothing it in, only avoiding the deep roots and scalp area to make sure the color took there in my greys.

The process went well, rinsed out and hair was very silky with no need for a conditioner after coloring. I did use a conditioner anyway, but very lightly.
    Last edited by Kirin; January 19th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    You can add me to this list now. I have now been using chemical color, and pre oil with coconut oil on the whole head of hair and have apparently no damage.
    Thank you. I will do that now.

Can you please give more details? What kind of colour do you use?

How long did you leave the coconut oil on your hair before applying the colour?

What if any differences did you notice from before when you coloured your hair vs using the oil as a pre treatment now?
    Last edited by ktani; January 19th, 2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Added information:

Previously hennad hair, hennaing for a year. I decided to go with chemical color for speed and ease reasons, and chose "Satin" professional hair color gotten at my local beauty supplier. An hour before using color, i used about a pea sized amount warmed between palms of coconut oil, and applied throughout my hair smoothing it in, only avoiding the deep roots and scalp area to make sure the color took there in my greys.

The process went well, rinsed out and hair was very silky with no need for a conditioner after coloring. I did use a conditioner anyway, but very lightly.

Previous coloring without using this method always left my hair feeling "pasty" at least for a few days. That effect does not happen with teh use of coconut oil prior to coloring.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Added information:

Previous coloring without using this method always left my hair feeling "pasty" at least for a few days. That effect does not happen with teh use of coconut oil prior to coloring.
    Than you so much. I will add this to the update post.

8 for 8 so far for coconut oil used as a pre treatment with conventional colour and 1 report of bleach, applied over it.

Consistency? Hair feels better post colouring and bleach and no reported damage vs how hair felt post previous colouring without the coconut oil pre treatment, (in the case with bleach, there is no comparison but still no damage reported).

I am looking forward to reports on using coconut oil and then argan oil used on top, as a pre treatment with conventional hair colour, peroxide/bleach applied over it, from those members, who use conventional chemical colouring products.
    Last edited by ktani; January 19th, 2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

I can think of no downside to using the combination of oils for this purpose, even if one's hair does not like either oil for usual oiling.

This is not about switching oils from what one normally uses to condition.

The oils recommended here, (coconut and argan oil) are for hair damage protection, from the free radicals that occur during conventional hair colouring, generated by free iron and copper.

Coconut oil contains acids that chelate copper and iron and argan oil chelates copper.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...5&postcount=10

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=131

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=172

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=209
    Last edited by ktani; January 19th, 2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added links and text

Length
    16"/20/35"

This thread is very interesting. I want to cover my grays but don't want to henna again. Maybe I will try oiling before I color with a permanent color. Do you oil hair when wet or dry?

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I oiled mine while dry and left it overnight.....

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights