Page 49 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Thank you ktani, I haven't heard before about using soda water as hair rinse (it doesn't give the impression of a hair friendly liquid, but I bet chlorine water are that much harsher). It's good to know, although I think avoiding the chlorine water to be in contact with the hair in the first place is the best way to go about it obviously.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Thank you ktani, I haven't heard before about using soda water as hair rinse (it doesn't give the impression of a hair friendly liquid, but I bet chlorine water are that much harsher). It's good to know, although I think avoiding the chlorine water to be in contact with the hair in the first place is the best way to go about it obviously.
    You are most welcome. Look for club soda by name, not soda water. It may be that it is available where you are and you just have not come across it. This brand is popular in Europe, http://www.schweppesus.com/TextOnly/product.aspx. Their international site, http://www.schweppes.com/.

You are right. Keeping the hair dry is best, IMO.

I saw one source say that someone tested the pH of club soda and it was 6 or lower, but it would depend on the club soda. 6 would make it acidic but not anywhere near as much as undiluted vinegar, certain vinegar dilutions or certain citric acid rinses, which I think, are not a good idea to use instead.

I have not read that using club soda caused hair damage, just the opposte. It has been recommended as a rinse for healthier hair, to remove build-up, http://www.ehow.com/how_2196664_beau...club-soda.html and http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...2/ai_n15033746.

I posted this one for chlorine, See "Sun Savers" and click to enlarge text, http://www.bhg-digital.com/bhg/200808/?pg=110.
    Last edited by ktani; February 22nd, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I had the Schweppes drink in mind. Product names such as 'club soda' or 'hair leave-in' (and many others) are hard to translate since they don't appear in the dictionary, so it takes time to figure out what kind of product are they referring to. So thanks for the clarification.
    Funny how one can learn new things everyday.

I had the Schweppes drink in mind. Product names such as 'club soda' or 'hair leave-in' (and many others) are hard to translate since they don't appear in the dictionary, so it takes time to figure out what kind of product are they referring to. So thanks for the clarification.
    Funny how one can learn new things everyday.
    You are most welcome.

I learned a lot from this too. I started looking for information in one area, and wound up finding unexpected information in another. I had not heard of club soda being recommeded as an after swimming hair rinse before either, or for build-up.

The club soda should be differenciated from soda water where you are, because club soda is used for specific drink mixes. If you cannot find it in local food stores, try your local liquor store or bars. That is where I tried various waters for mixes, when I travelled, bars and pubs.

I do not know if where you are they label in more than one language, on products. Here in Canada, labels are in English and French. Imports from the U.S., also sometimes include Spanish.

Heidi

I do not like all alcoholic drinks and do not consume many, but one I liked was gin and tonic. Tonic water is not the same as club soda either, http://www.schweppesus.com/TextOnly/tonicwater.aspx, but it is carbonated as well. That is why the specific name is important and reading the ingredients.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Thank you Ktani again. If I decide to hit the swimming pool again, and unable to find a better swim cap, I would definitely go on a Schweppes hunt.

Thank you Ktani again. If I decide to hit the swimming pool again, and unable to find a better swim cap, I would definitely go on a Schweppes hunt.
    Cool. I would look for both, just in case, and you are most welcome, again.

I just added this to the swimming and hair post.

This was not mentioned anywhere online but it is logical to me that if club soda removes chorine from hair, rubbing some on the skin after swimming, should remove the chorine smell that showering alone, may not.

One of the links I posted on club soda to be used after swimming on hair, quoted a rep from Wella.

I found stylist's website that said the same thing and now this.

".... This tip comes from my stylist. Rinse your hair with club soda to remove chlorine from hair. Bring a bottle with you to the pool."
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Car...asy&id=2006337

It seems that some cosmetic companies, hair extension supplies companies and some hair stylists have known about club soda and chlorine for quite some time.
    Last edited by ktani; February 23rd, 2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Of all of the things I saw online recommended to remove chlorine and/or green from hair after swimming; baking soda, aspirin, tomato sauce, vinegar, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), citric acid and club soda, club soda does not have the potential quantity difficulties in recipes or the problems of the others. Vitamine C (in the tomato sauce) can produce free radicals with copper and iron and strong acids are not a good idea to mix with chlorine, to neutralize it.
    Last edited by ktani; February 22nd, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling