Page 5 of 141 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

But what exactly is peroxide damage? In my mind, it seems that the light color IS damage, if you look at it one way. It is an effect of the peroxide. So, again IMO, if you try to prevent damage, you're also limiting the peroxide's ability to lighten.

That said, if the peroxide is over lightening and the person is happy with not as much lightening, then this sounds excellent. A way of limiting the peroxide's effects, both in color and damage.

(I feel that SeaPhoenix's experiment covers the same lines as this idea, right? She protected her hair enough that the peroxide had little to no effect. Though the henna may have played a role as well)
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by freznow View Post
    But what exactly is peroxide damage? In my mind, it seems that the light color IS damage, if you look at it one way. It is an effect of the peroxide. So, again IMO, if you try to prevent damage, you're also limiting the peroxide's ability to lighten.

That said, if the peroxide is over lightening and the person is happy with not as much lightening, then this sounds excellent. A way of limiting the peroxide's effects, both in color and damage.

(I feel that SeaPhoenix's experiment covers the same lines as this idea, right? She protected her hair enough that the peroxide had little to no effect. Though the henna may have played a role as well)
    They are 2 different things actually, as reported in Honey. Honey lightening has been reported to lighten hair without reported damage. The research I posted there and in this thread, supports the no damage results.

The protective constituents in honey and honey lightening recipe ingredients, prevent oxygen free radicals from being formed, by chelating free iron, that starts the reaction that causes them, when peroxide reacts with other elements. These free radicals cause cell and hair damage.

These natural protective constituents are what reseach has shown to be effective against conventional peroxide damage, as pre treatments for cells and their chemical equivalents have been shown to be effective in protecting hair from damage, as pre treatments and when they are formulated into peroxide/bleaching products.

Conventional peroxide can damage cells and has been reported to damage hair. The amount of damage to hair, depends on the volume and time used on hair.

The mechanism(s) involved in lightening pigment by hydrogen peroxide are therefore separate. Honey lightening has been reported to be effective to lighten hair and there is no indication that formulating chemical chelants into conventional hair bleaching products, impedes product effectiveness, from the patent application quoted.

Serious damage from conventional peroxide used at high volumes over time, that has required the hair to be cut, has been reported as; weak, brittle, gummy, split hair, none of which as been reported as the result of honey lightening, no matter how long or often it has been done.

Henna can be very difficult to lighten under certain circumstances, and with conventional peroxide it can take time, although reportedly, less time time than honey lightening, depending on how light the goal.
    Last edited by ktani; September 13th, 2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: clarification

I would define damage as dry, brittle, fragile and easily broken. I color blonde which would be a higher perixoide need and the color is not at all affected by pre treating with coconut oil. I also like this method better because I proved (to my satisfaction) I did not need to use the cone ladden conditioner that comes with the kit; I used my normal conditioner and my hair was fine; no tangles or dryness.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I would define damage as dry, brittle, fragile and easily broken. I color blonde which would be a higher perixoide need and the color is not at all affected by pre treating with coconut oil. I also like this method better because I proved (to my satisfaction) I did not need to use the cone ladden conditioner that comes with the kit; I used my normal conditioner and my hair was fine; no tangles or dryness.
    Thank you

Your definition works too. Where there is a departure with that and honey lightening is in the dryness and tangles.

Honey can leave a residue, that temporarily causes dryness and tangling but the residue is removed by shampoo the best, from reports, as opposed to a vinegar rinse, with no lasting repercussions.

The hair has been reported to return to a soft, shiny, condition without breakage, split ends or brittleness reported.

I did understand from your earlier posts, that the ability of the colour to take or lighten was unaffected by the coconut oil, but I am very glad that you restated that clearly again.
    Last edited by ktani; September 14th, 2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarification

Now, what would be really interesting is; does coconut pretreament provide protection from the chemicals used for permenents. Not that I'm willing to be the guinnea pig for that test. Back in the day, when I did get perms, I always did a deep condition the night before, usually with vo5 hot oil (that's all we knew about back then). I know that perms are done on wet hair, but I wonder if soaking up some coconut the night before would have any affect?

Sorry if this is a hijack, just got my mind going.

Now, what would be really interesting is; does coconut pretreament provide protection from the chemicals used for permenents. Not that I'm willing to be the guinnea pig for that test. Back in the day, when I did get perms, I always did a deep condition the night before, usually with vo5 hot oil (that's all we knew about back then). I know that perms are done on wet hair, but I wonder if soaking up some coconut the night before would have any affect?

Sorry if this is a hijack, just got my mind going.
    No problem.

Different chemicals are in an alkaline perm but the neutralizer with those contains peroxide. It is only applied to the hair for about 5 minutes though.

I do not think that the coconut oil would work with perms but I have not researched that.
    Last edited by ktani; September 14th, 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Pre treating the hair with coconut oil and applying colour over it seems to be a good solution for even higher levels of peroxide used, in helping to prevent peroxide/bleach damage, without affecting the effectiveness of the colour used. Excellent news, IMO.

In research quoted earlier in this thread, natural chelants (the flavonoids) were shown to be effective as a pre treatment against peroxide damage to cells.

In the P&G patent application they referred to chemical chelants being effective, with higher level bleaching products, when used as a pre treatment or formulated into the oxidative peroxide/bleach products.

Date 2002

"Oxidative treatment of hair with reduced hair damage

Agent: The Procter & Gamble Company Intellectual Property Division - Cincinnati, OH, US

[0022] .... now been surprisingly found that chelants have excellent damage inhibiting properties. ....

[0058] .... chelants could efficiently prevent oxidative hair damage when formulated in level higher than previously mentioned in the literature or formulated in commercial compositions.

[0174] .... chelants can also be applied to hair as a pre-treatment. The pretreatment composition .... applied immediately before the oxidizing composition or after a longer period of time."
    http://www.freshpatents.com/Oxidativ...pe=description
    Last edited by ktani; September 16th, 2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    pixie/meh/Meh
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Yay! I've decided to finally chop most of the rest of the henna out (I have about 4-5 inches of natural hair growth already), and am looking at going back to regular hair dyes instead of henna... I used to dye strawberry blonde once with Garnier, and really enjoyed it a great deal. (before i was too worried or aware of hair damage)
    I will be sure to do the coconut oil pretreatment if I do take the hair dye plunge. :-)

Thanks so much for the new information!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaPhoenix View Post
    Yay! I've decided to finally chop most of the rest of the henna out (I have about 4-5 inches of natural hair growth already), and am looking at going back to regular hair dyes instead of henna... I used to dye strawberry blonde once with Garnier, and really enjoyed it a great deal. (before i was too worried or aware of hair damage)
    I will be sure to do the coconut oil pretreatment if I do take the hair dye plunge. :-)

Thanks so much for the new information!
    I was going to say sorry about the chop but I am happy for you, because you are pleased with the decision.

Lightening henna can be difficult, depending on the goal and method chosen.

You are most welcome regarding the information.

My thanks to Linda, for being so helpful and confirming that coconut oil is an option and that it works, even with higher level peroxide conventional colour.

I think that at this point, coconut oil is the best option to help prevent conventional hair colour damage to hair, when it is used as a pre treatment and the hair colour is applied over it.
    Last edited by ktani; September 20th, 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: clarification

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I wonder to what extent this protects the hair? If I apply a generous amount of coconut oil to my hair (enough to make it feel quite greasy) and then apply 30 volume peroxide on it, how long do you think it could be left on before damage would occur? Or will damage occur regardless at that level?

I ask because... with regards to henna/indigo removal (which I don't want to do personally, but I know lots of people do) honey lightening is a slow process that really just lifts some of the henna or indigo. Would this be another potential solution?

I'm thinking of getting a microscopic camera and if I do, would love to examine my own hair in before and after strand tests to see.