Page 51 of 141 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Has anyone else tried coconut and argan oils, as a pre treatment, before conventional hair colouring?

Length
    15.7/15.7/31
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Yep, me! But I am not finished yet as my hair is a bright orange-yellow now. I bleached my Hennahair with 4% Peroxid and dyed it over with Wella color touch.

My hair is fine, but healthy and it seems like the whole process triggered no damage as far as i can see.

I will do another Bleaching on Thursday to get rid of any red and be blond again.
    As I am not using my home computer, I have no pics here, but will present them later.
    Also all needed details.

As it seems Iam going a similar way like Rini. Hopefully without sacrificing length, as I cut already to chin-length and on my way back to BSL.

Will post later this week.

cu
    chico

Quote Originally Posted by ChicO View Post
    Yep, me! But I am not finished yet as my hair is a bright orange-yellow now. I bleached my Hennahair with 4% Peroxid and dyed it over with Wella color touch.

My hair is fine, but healthy and it seems like the whole process triggered no damage as far as i can see.

I will do another Bleaching on Thursday to get rid of any red and be blond again.
    As I am not using my home computer, I have no pics here, but will present them later.
    Also all needed details.

As it seems Iam going a similar way like Rini. Hopefully without sacrificing length, as I cut already to chin-length and on my way back to BSL.

cu
    chico
    I look forward to reading all about it, especially the details.

Thank you for posting this much. Your report will be number 14 so far, as I will add your results to the list, when it is completed.

I am no doubt going to have to buy Canada Dry Club Soda and test the pH myself, lol.

I will hear from them because I am not lettiing my inquiry go but I must have thrown them a curve by asking for a specific pH and they are used to giving a range for all of what they refer to as their Seltzer Waters, pH 3.2 - 4. Too bad, for them. It is not like I asked for their home phone numbers. A pH of 4 seems too low to me, for carbonated water with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) added to it.

I can always drink what I do not test, lol.
    Last edited by ktani; March 3rd, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: clarification

I have read that club soda has a pH of 6 or less (someone tested the Canada Dry version), then somewhere else, about 5 something. Both of these levels are not considered to be strongly acidic. Vinegar has a pH of about 2.3. That is considered to be a relatively strong acid, by some sources. Hair can be damaged by solutions with a pH below 3.5. That depends though, on a number of variables. I have read that hydrogen peroxide has a pH of 4. The pH alone of a solution, is not the only cause necessarily, of hair damage, but it can be.

"....a neutral solution, the pH is 7. The pH of an acid is less than 7 and the pH of a base is higher than 7. A lower pH denotes a stronger acid. .... an acid with pH 1 is stronger than an acid with pH 5. .... a higher pH denotes a stronger base. .... a base with pH 8 is considered a weak base, whereas a base with pH above 12 is considered a strong base. .... vinegar and lemon juice have pH about 2 - 3, water has pH of about 7, baking soda has pH of about 8 - 9, washing soda, ammonia and detergent have pH of about 10 - 12 and, lye and Draino have pH of about 13 - 14."
    http://ncwsnc.cheminst.ca/experiments/eredcabb.html

This below, is closest to what I think the pH of club soda is (and no number is given) but testing it myself will tell me if I am right. My pH strips are 2 years old and they are still working well.
    "Initially .... club soda is slightly acidic because of the large amount of carbon dioxide dissolve in it. Boiling the club soda drives off the carbon dioxide and leaves the solution slightly basic because of the other chemicals remaining in it."
    Last edited by ktani; March 3rd, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added link and text

I bought Canada Dry Club Soda and tested the pH. It is between 5.5 and 6, closer to 6, by my pH strips. I tested it several times, to be sure. I am letting the opened can sit for a bit, and then I will test it again, to see if and how much of a pH change there is, after the club soda goes a bit flat.

ETA: No difference in the pH but I did not let it go completely flat. To give some perspective on the results, pH 5.5 - 6 is about the pH range of most conventional shampoos and conditioners on the market, and is considered to be slightly acidic, and while that pH range is also sometimes referred to as "acid balanced", that is a marketing term only. My pH test papers can indicate a pH of lower than 4.5 (the result will be a brighter yellow than the starting point for my test strips, of pH 4.5) and they most definitely did not in this case.

My results match what someone else reported online from their test to be the pH, and also matches this, that I posted earlier.
    "Initially .... club soda is slightly acidic because of the large amount of carbon dioxide dissolve in it. Boiling the club soda drives off the carbon dioxide and leaves the solution slightly basic because of the other chemicals remaining in it."
    Last edited by ktani; March 4th, 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added link and text

I added my pH test results to the Hair and Swimming Article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=115

I retested Canada Dry Club Soda, when it had gone completely flat. The pH is the same, between 5.5 - 6, closer to pH 6. So only boiling it http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=543, raises the pH to slightly basic or alkaline, as far as I know.
    Last edited by ktani; March 4th, 2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added link and text

Quote Originally Posted by ChicO View Post

Also all needed details.

cu
    chico
    Good luck today! I look forward to reading about how things go!