Page 9 of 141 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post

The coconut oil pre treatment was reported to work with 20 volume peroxide in a conventional hair colour, left on the hair for 30 minutes (applied over the coconut oil).
    Do you know if the addition of the color has any different effect than just straight peroxide?

And if it is a weaker peroxide volume does that mean it damages the hair less or that it takes longer to do damage?
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by thankyousir74 View Post
    Do you know if the addition of the color has any different effect than just straight peroxide?

And if it is a weaker peroxide volume does that mean it damages the hair less or that it takes longer to do damage?
    My net went down while I was replying to your last response. I added links for you.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...9&postcount=80

The answer to your question re the damage is both. It does depend on your hair though and what is on it.

The colour itself is not damaging.

According to P&G, it is the high pH and the free radicals from the peroxide/bleach, that causes most of the damage.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...1&postcount=52
    Last edited by ktani; October 13th, 2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: clarification.

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

ktani, thanks for the information, as always.
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Quote Originally Posted by thankyousir74 View Post
    ktani, thanks for the information, as always.
    You are most welcome.

If you try this, I suggest taking it slowly and monitor your hair as you go or better yet, try it on harvested hair first.
    Last edited by ktani; October 13th, 2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adjust text

http://books.google.ca/books?id=OCNo...m=10&ct=result

Peroxide developers do not just contain peroxide.

"Shimmering Colour Developing Creme: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Trideceth-2 Carboxamide MEA, Ceteareth-30, Glycerin, Pentasodium Pentetate, Sodium Stannate, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate."
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...23&catid=28903

"Myth: Low ammonia .... better for .... hair.
    Fact: All combinations of ammonia as well as MEA, another alkali, can damage hair because of their high pH level. The damage, a function of peroxide, occurs from the chemicals formed when the mixed peroxide and alkali come in contact with the hair. ... primary benefit of low ammonia is less odor."
    http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/fact-...-revealed.html

From the P& G research and patent application and reports on the successful use of coconut oil to help prevent hair damage so far, it looks as if the free radicals cause more damage than the high pH, and that kind of damage can be prevented.
    Last edited by ktani; October 13th, 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

This all makes perfect sense to me. My favorite commercial hair color is Hydrience (which is becoming harder and harder to find). It contains a little packet of pre-coloring conditioner that you apply to your hair and let sit for a few minutes, and do NOT rinse out before you color. My hair was always soft and silky and not trashed the way some colors did.

This time, I used a different brand because I couldn't find the Hydrience, and while it wasn't BAD, I did have some dryness. Next time I color, if I can't find the Hydrience, I'll try coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    This all makes perfect sense to me. My favorite commercial hair color is Hydrience (which is becoming harder and harder to find). It contains a little packet of pre-coloring conditioner that you apply to your hair and let sit for a few minutes, and do NOT rinse out before you color. My hair was always soft and silky and not trashed the way some colors did.

This time, I used a different brand because I couldn't find the Hydrience, and while it wasn't BAD, I did have some dryness. Next time I color, if I can't find the Hydrience, I'll try coconut oil.
    If you do, please post how it goes.

The Hydrience pre treatment is designed to help the colour take more evenly more than a conditioning or a damage protecting treatment, according to the packaging. I do not see any chelants or antioxidants in the ingredient list.

I would leave the coconut oil on the hair longer than 1 minute, probably 30 minutes, before applying the hair colour over it.

"Step 1: Prepare
    Our Pantene Pro-V 1-Minute Color Pre-Treatment has a dryness seeking formula that conditions hair, preparing it to accept color evenly. Simply apply before coloring.

1-Minute Color Pre-Treatment: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Isopropyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Titanium Dioxide, Hydrolyzed Sweet Almond Protein."
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...andFilter=7564

They did formulate a chelant EDTA, into the colour cream with the peroxide accelerating ingredients and another into the developer with the peroxide, Etidronic Acid. Clairol is owned by P&G.

"Deep Moisturizing Color Creme: Water, C12-15 Pareth-3, Cocamide MEA, Oleth-10, Dilinoleic Acid, Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate, Steareth-21, Ammonium Hydroxide, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-22, Sodium Sulfate, Algae Extract, Sorbitol, Fragrance, Erythorbic Acid, EDTA, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Metasilicate, Mica, P-Aminophenol, Resorcinol, Titanium Dioxide, P-Phenylenediamine, M-Aminophenol, Iron Oxides, 1-Naphthol."

"Moisturizing Developer: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Laureth-23, Steareth-21, Ceteareth-20, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Styrene/VP Copolymer, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Etidronic Acid."
    Last edited by ktani; October 14th, 2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added link and text

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Could you do a coconut treatment before a Semi Permanent colour as well?
    One that say supposed to last for 28 washes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
    Could you do a coconut treatment before a Semi Permanent colour as well?
    One that say supposed to last for 28 washes ?
    Hi Alley Cat

The idea is to help protect the hair from chemical damage, so absolutely, IMO.

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thank you .

How long do you leave it on for before, or do you just put it on just straight before the colour ?
    Could you melt it to apply it easier ?
    Sorry for all the questions.