Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else use Soapwort?

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I think that they work about the same, with just a few minor points. Indian herbs, as Dianyla mentioned, can darken, and before Indian herbs like shikakai and aritha, you should lightly oil your hair.

With soapwort I noticed no color change (I think wonderly thought it made her hair redder though), and you don't need to pre-wash oil with Western herbs; at least I never did.

Length
    31/56.5/term

Sorry for bumping this thread up, but:

Is soapwort ever listed under/called by another name? Or is it something I'd absolutely have to get online? I checked a few weeks ago at our health food store hoping to get a smaller bag, but no soapwort (and I'm not sure how well it'll do in our water, so don't really want a ton, but haven't found much online).

? F i/ii

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Unnamed View Post
    Sorry for bumping this thread up, but:

Is soapwort ever listed under/called by another name? Or is it something I'd absolutely have to get online? I checked a few weeks ago at our health food store hoping to get a smaller bag, but no soapwort (and I'm not sure how well it'll do in our water, so don't really want a ton, but haven't found much online).
    Since soapwort is poisonous when injested (because of the high concentration of saponins) it is rarely seen in herb stores, especially ones where food is also sold.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    31/56.5/term

Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan
    Since soapwort is poisonous when injested (because of the high concentration of saponins) it is rarely seen in herb stores, especially ones where food is also sold.
    Ah, okay, that would explain that!

Guess I'll have to try hunting online again. My first try a few weeks ago didn't come back with much, and so that was another reason I was curious.

? F i/ii

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Unnamed View Post
    Ah, okay, that would explain that!

Guess I'll have to try hunting online again. My first try a few weeks ago didn't come back with much, and so that was another reason I was curious.
    I bought mine from Mountain Rose herbs site. I think that is the only place I've seen it sold. It may be on one of the Canadian sites too, I'm not sure about that.

ETA: I stand corrected I found it on these sites too, though not sure how the price compares, haven't checked and I don't remember what I bought mine for.

http://www.daylesfordaromatherapy.co...330/Botanicals
    http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Herbs-Root...nalis/9075/413
    Last edited by mira-chan; April 21st, 2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added links

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

My local herb store, which carries a ton of stuff, doesn't carry it; they don't even know what it is! They do carry yucca and a bunch of other stuff, but not soapwort. I order mine from Mountain Rose Herbs too.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Yes, I had to order mine online too. I got mine from LeavesandRoots.com.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I was very surprised to find out that I already have "some" soapwort in my garden. Ever seen a plant which spreads out into the lawn and not the other way round? Plant soapwort and you will see! It has pretty flowers and really appealing green, too.
    Anyway, I would like to use it as shampoo, but I could not find any instructions how to harvest and dry it properly. All I found was: roots and leafs cut into small pieces and let dry, boil to prepare. Is it that easy? Anyone tried it?
    I do not want to dig out much of the root (only the parts which try to take over the green ) and damage the plant. I know the leafs contain less saponin, but the plant is big enough to get enough leafs for sure. Has anyone tried to use leafs only? When is the best time to harvest them? I fear they could stain green, as the water got pretty green when I crushed a fresh leaf to wash my hands with it for testing purposes... does it?
    I have enough space in my garden to plant a whole field of soapwort next year and I´m thinking about doing my laundry with it, if that is possible. Anyone tried this? I read that museums clean old delicate textiles with it because it´s so gentle... Interesting plant.
    Sorry for the slightly unorganized questions I´m just a bit excited because I wanted to get soapwort seed and grow some for ages! Only to realize that I already have it in my garden

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

How awesome that you have it in your garden! I'm jealous! :-)

I haven't ever used the leaves, only the roots.

Here is what my herbal book says:
    "Growing: Thin or transplant to 2 feet apart. Use sticks to support stems. Cut back after flowering to induce second blooms. Do not grow near fish ponds as root secretions can poison fish.
    Harvesting: pick flowers, leaves, stems and roots in autumn or as required.
    Preserving: dry flowers and leaves. Slice roots and dry in the sun.
    Household use: Cover in soft water and boil for 30 minutes, then use soapy liquid to wash and revive old fabrics, wash hair and sensitive skins or as a wash for acne and psoriasis. Perfume a room with bouquets of soapwort."

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Thank you very much mellie for helping me out, that gives me an idea how to harvest and preserve it.
    I hope I´ll have time to prepare a test batch soon, to see how strong leafs and stems alone clean and if they add green colour to hair.