Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greasy, Fine and Thin hair leave-in recipe

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default Greasy, Fine and Thin hair leave-in recipe

Hello !

I'm sorry if there's already been a subject about this but I searched and couldn't find it.
    Anyway, my hair is very fine and my scalp gets greasy really quickly. I'm actually trying to strech washed and have been washing 3-4 times a week instead of everyday for a month now. But I cant find any leave in (natural or not) that doesn't make my length stringy or dry (never had dry air before stretching washes, i'm kind of lost ). I've tried avocado,argan and olive oils but all of them make my hair stringy no matter how much i use. I'd like to find a natural recipe to put in my spray bottle to use on day 1's evening or day 2's morning to keep my hair moisturised and good-looking.
    My hair likes honey but i'm not sure if using it as a leave-in is a good idea. I also have tea-tree, mandarin, grapefruit EO and aloe vera....Any ideas ?

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Greasy, Fine and Thin hair leave-in recipe

I would like to know also! The most I can go without washing my hair is two days, and usually by the end of day one, it looks horribly oily even in an up do. Will be watching this thread.
    Can I call it BSL?
    SL -APL - BSL - Waist - Hip (my goals are getting longer too, thanks LHC!)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

The best leave-in is a spray bottle full of distilled water with a squirt (or two) of regular conditioner!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Do you mean you looking for a leave in for drier ends? My hair is fine/ thin, and though I wash my hair as needed (which is pretty much daily), sometimes I do need something for the ends. My favorite in Dr Bronner's hair creme. Not sure if it's available in your location. It's a cream, containing jojoba, hemp, coconut and either lavender or peppermint oils. I find that being in cream form, it works much better on my fine hair than anything in straight oil form. Some of the reviews are terrible, but from what I gathered, it's from people using it on wet or damp hair. I tried it this way and it was awful, but using just a tiny bit on the ends of dry hair, it absorbs right in and makes it manageable and shiny. Not sure if that's what you are looking for since it's not a recipe, but I find that it works well..
    Last edited by renia22; February 17th, 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    The best leave-in is a spray bottle full of distilled water with a squirt (or two) of regular conditioner!
    I have a bottle of leave-in that I love but makes my length stringy after a day... Do you think i could put this instead of regular conditioner with distilled water?

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by renia22 View Post
    Do you mean you looking for a leave in for drier ends? My hair is fine/ thin, and though I wash my hair as needed (which is pretty much daily), sometimes I do need something for the ends. My favorite in Dr Bronner's hair creme. Not sure if it's available in your location. It's a cream, containing jojoba, hemp, coconut and either lavender or peppermint oils. I find that being in cream form, it works much better on my fine hair than anything in straight oil form. Some of the reviews are terrible, but from what I gathered, it's from people using it on wet or damp hair. I tried it this way and it was awful, but using just a tiny bit on the ends of dry hair, it absorbs right in and makes it manageable and shiny. Not sure if that's what you are looking for since it's not a recipe, but I find that it works well..

I said recipe because I tried a lot of leave ins and all of them seemed too "rich" for my hair, making my length (since I don't put anything except water and shampoo on my scalp) stringy and greasy and gross... well everything I want to avoid since I'm trying to stretch washes.
    I don't think I can find this Dr Bronner's brand here but I'll try to search if I can have it on the net without the usual expensive shipping, thanks :-)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hikarilu View Post
    I have a bottle of leave-in that I love but makes my length stringy after a day... Do you think i could put this instead of regular conditioner with distilled water?
    Can't hurt to try. Although I'm not sure it's going to be nourishing enough without regular rinse-out conditioner first.

It all depends on how much you use. My hair only typically gets 3 small squirts of leave-in and that's for hip+ length.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20 in/34 in/52 in
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

another option is to put rosewater in a spray bottle and spritz that on your hair. the rose oil in it will lightly moisturise/seal over the distilled water and it will make your hair smell like roses.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Many regular wash out conditioners work well as a leave in. I find a big difference between applying to damp hair after towel turban and applying to soaking hair before squeezing excess water and putting into a towel turban.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Have you seen the recipe for Kimberlily's defrizz spray? Here is the link:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=277

Maybe you can put less oils, less glycerin, less or more aloe vera, more water... anything to make it more diluted or however it works best for you? I like mine thicker, with more aloe vera gel, small amounts of glycerin, less than half the amount of oil that the original recipe calls for and I used to use rosewater instead of distilled... that's been my favorite version so far. I use a tiny travel spray bottle so I can mix up small batches at a time.