Thread: I'm leaving the forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: I'm leaving the forum

I'm quite confused as to how someone would think you are a reseller myself. I've never seen or heard of Doug's sticks being sold anywhere other than directly and you were charging a fair price, so I'm not sure how you could have turned a profit!

Plenty of other members have had really big sell offs in the past too, a couple with much more expensive collections.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    28/CL+/???
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

If the amount of toys posted publicly is somehow a problem, what about making a private group ? Would that be possible ? Just and idea that came to my head on this hot weather day

Length
    <3in/~APL/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by StellaKatherine View Post
    If the amount of toys posted publicly is somehow a problem, what about making a private group ? Would that be possible ? Just and idea that came to my head on this hot weather day
    I checked LHC rules: no selling outside the Swaps board. It makes sense to me, people are looking for advice on the other areas, not things to buy.

Length
    <3in/~APL/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Maybe they are uncomfortable because they sense that providing a secondary market enables your purchasing. And then that uncomfortable feeling got rationalised and presented to you differently.

In all honesty- absolute honesty- when I saw your swap board posts, I felt bad for you because I can relate to that feeling of having bought something you do not need. It made me wonder more generally (i.e. not related to you personally) whether having such ready buyers was helpful or detrimental for people who purchase a lot of things that they end up not wanting. I ended up concluding that it was probably not the case, that the feeling of purchasing in that moment is unrelated to the possibility of selling later on. That is, unless so much spending takes place that the buyer is unable to continue without selling their previous purchases.

That was all based on assumption, so it stayed right there in my head where it belongs, because I do not know you personally and it is idle speculation, and besides, most of my musing was not about you but more about how markets work. I am only telling you this now in the hope that you can see why people might feel uncomfortable about multiple sales, without thinking that you are a bad person/taking advantage. They might just think that having the market there is unhelpful for you, and that feeling essentially comes from kindness, however unkindly it is expressed.

Finally, there are so many people on this forum, including those who read and don't post- it's entirely likely that you have never interacted with them. Inevitably there will be people you rub up the wrong way- and the more you contribute to a forum, the more likely it is, just because you will be noticed. There is nothing you can do about this, just as in life. I don't think the solution is to remove yourself from forums/real life friends and communities. I'm not saying that leaving LHC is wrong, just that everywhere is imperfect like this, people always bump into each other a little bit, that is life.

I'm in the "don't leave" camp too - a) you enjoy it and b) if you go whatever backstabbing tossers complained will think they've won! Also most (ok, many) of the longer standing members here have had our wrists slapped over things about which somebody complained: it goes with the territory here.
    "Always better to not fight. But if must fight...win"
    Mr Miyagi

Length
    <3in/~APL/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I'm in the "don't leave" camp too - a) you enjoy it and b) if you go whatever backstabbing tossers complained will think they've won! Also most (ok, many) of the longer standing members here have had our wrists slapped over things about which somebody complained: it goes with the territory here.
    Excellent point, succintly put. I'm still waiting for my badge of honour! doubtless one day it will come & I won't be giggling any more

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    "Backstabbing tossers"? Really?

LHC has thousands of members and only a few mods. The only way the mod team can keep up with things is if people make us aware of possible issues by reporting posts. Reporting a post isn't a condemnation of the person who posted it, nor is it guaranteeing negative repercussions for that person. It just says to the mod team, "Hey, you might not have seen this, but maybe you should take a look." Nobody who reports posts should feel bad for doing so. You're helping this site run more smoothly.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    "Backstabbing tossers"? Really?

LHC has thousands of members and only a few mods. The only way the mod team can keep up with things is if people make us aware of possible issues by reporting posts. Reporting a post isn't a condemnation of the person who posted it, nor is it guaranteeing negative repercussions for that person. It just says to the mod team, "Hey, you might not have seen this, but maybe you should take a look." Nobody who reports posts should feel bad for doing so. You're helping this site run more smoothly.
    I do have to agree with this. I've gotten my hand slapped by mods (and rightly so), and I've gotten warning PMs that said, "Hey, Nightshade, you're kinda being a brat. Knock it off." (That is not an actual quote). Nobody likes getting talked to by the mods, and because things around here are generally low-key, just a verbal warning, no points STILL always feels like a kick in the guts. So I very much understand why Morganaa was hurt both by getting a warning and then feeling that others were reporting her because they thought for sure she was a reseller.

But the thing is, the reports probably (I'm not a mod so this is conjecture mostly based around times and reasons why I've reported things) weren't accusatory. It's more of a, "Hey, modly mods, I'm not sure what's up with this, so can you please check it out and and make sure?" I've reported things that lead off with, "This might be nothing, but can you check and be sure."

So not everyone that uses the report button is a doing so out of vehemence, sometime it's a concerned member who doesn't know and is playing it safe, or is just uninformed. I was reported once for "stealing" images from a certain Etsy store

And while it always sucks to be talked to by a mod, don't take it personally and stick around. Everything will blow over

Length
    21/21/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

@two_wheels : I never bought anything with the safe net of selling it later if it didn't work. I only buy because I love something. Sometimes the size is wrong (I've used centimeters all my life and inches are not that easy for me), the number of prongs not my favorite once tried on (and that's depending makers!). I'm also trying to buy for now and for later, since I let my hair grow. I went into my 60th street frenzy when I wasn't yet on the forum and bought like 30 of them in only a few weeks. I had nowhere to sell them in case it didn't work. I bought all kind of sizes and shape since I didn't knew what suits me best. In France we do not find that kind of hairtoys at all, I cannot just go to some market and find Ead hairsticks...

Why feeling uncomfortable on my behalf? And if so, why not send me a concern pm? I wasn't complaining on the forum about not being able to pay my rent, didn't even joke about only eating pasta because of my spending... I also wasn't only posting on the swap board.

I always always thought about others. Rich from ONN was contemplating a fb page. I convinced him it was a brilliant idea so that we could could have a data base of his work and see the colors/shape in one place. I had already placed several massive (yep guilty again) orders with him and had absolutely no need of that for myself. I also find acrylics some of you were searching for and send you a pm to let you know that Rich could do one for you since he ordered a blank for me. That way Rich was getting several orders for the same blank (I felt less guilty about him ordering it without wanting a deposit) and you could know about something you wanted. Win-win. I'm waiting for a detailled list of what exactly will be in my 2nd order, that I had planned to post here to let you know before other custumers (non members) got them. And that's just an example.

@Merlin : Thank you for your message <3

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

What a mess! I hope you don't leave on those grounds, because if that's a reason to leave... I'd stand my ground as you have not been doing anything wrong, certainly not reading your defense of everything. I'd say it's not time to leave yet.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)