Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I tried the formula last night for the 1st time. It's amazing! Very moisturizing. I replaced honey with coconut oil because I don't want honey's lighting effect.

What conditioners do all of you use for this treatment?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Even though it's quite expensive to use for this particular thing, I tried the Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner this time with my SMT. I am waiting on the results. I have used WREB and VO5 strawberries and cream with very good results. I have also left out the honey with great results too. I may try adding some coconut oil next time. Hmmmmmm

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Ursula’s Mega-Moisturizing Oil-SMT-Aloe Wash

The summer AC has been very drying on my hair. This routine for washing has worked very well in getting my hair through it. I suggested it to Snowy, and it seems to do her good, as well, although she's using jojoba instead of coconut oil, and plain SKR instead of SMT. I'll sometimes do the plain SKR, as well. It depends on my mood.

First, at night, I oil my hair heavily. Coconut oil, and lots of it. I add more and more, as much as my hair will take. Then I braid in two braids, and apply castor oil to the braids’ tassels.

Sleep well.

In the morning, I mix up a batch of Snowy’s Deep Moisture treatment, using VO5 Sunkissed Raspberry or Tangerine Tickle. Wet down hair with water in the shower, and massage the SMT through the hair. Wrap in a bun, cover with a plastic bag and towel. Let the mess soak for 30 minutes to an hour.

Rinse well. I rinse in the shower, combing as I go. I part my hair, and comb and rinse each half for about a minute each, followed by about a minute of rinsing and massaging my scalp.

Finally, I blot my hair with a microfiber towel. Then I take 1 to 2 tablespoons of aloe gel, and apply to each half of my hair, combing it through.

Sometimes, I will oil and braid in the morning, and finish the wash routine at night. Oiled braids look sleek for daytime wear. I’ll then flip my hair, loose, up over my pillow to air dry at night. When I wake in the morning, amazing curly waves.
    Last edited by Flaxen; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by yufeyziqi View Post
    I tried the formula last night for the 1st time. It's amazing! Very moisturizing. I replaced honey with coconut oil because I don't want honey's lighting effect.

If you heat the mixture, it stops the lightening process from the honey.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Talking SMT

The original recipe recommended mircowaving the mix 10-15 seconds.

I would recommend over 10 seconds under one minute to ensure destroying the enzyme in the honey that produces peroxide.

There was a report in the Honey thread recently from somone who slept with an SMT on their hair, which had not been microwaved and they got unintentional lightening.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=241
    Last edited by ktani; April 17th, 2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added link

Length
    pixie/TB/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

A girl from work was thrilled with the results of her first SMT -- she had colored 4 (!) times in a single day prior to this!

I just *might* be able to persuade her of the value of some of our techniques if she doesn't do that again!

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Quote Originally Posted by yufeyziqi View Post

I read on a thread that if honey is heated it destroys the component responsible for lightening hair.