Page 11 of 252 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Length
    shdlr/30.5/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

I just wanted to update that today is 2 days since I did the SMT and I have no greasies! None! My hair is still soft and freshly washed looking. Why would that be when normally with CO I get greasy by the second day at least?
    Just keep growing....

I really wanna try this but all I have is green aloe vera gel and coney conditioner. So could I do a modified Smt with only honey and the coney conditioner or would that be asking for trouble??

Length
    24/26/Hips
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanegirl View Post
    I really wanna try this but all I have is green aloe vera gel and coney conditioner. So could I do a modified Smt with only honey and the coney conditioner or would that be asking for trouble??

Hello again jane,

Only experimenting will give you the best answer.

Here are two old posts, one about cones and one about half and half honey and conditioner. Both seem to be in favour of giving what you have at home a try.

Do not forget to microwave the honey. I forgot to do that the second time and I lightened my henna. Honey may/will lighten natural hair as well.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    I LOVE SMT, with 'cones (Dove) and without (Lavera deep conditioner 'Repairkur' for other German speakers).

It does clump and curd, especially with Dove conditioner, but this does not cause a problem.

SMT is one of the very best things I've gotten from this site - it has helped my hair immeasurably.

Sometimes I wash with just honey as an alternative to WO washing or when my scalp is acting up. It really makes my hair soft and shiny, but I have to remind myself to rinse it out well.
    I put in bold part.

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    Myrddin, I either use crystallized honey and "scrub" my scalp with it - similar to how I imagine people do brown sugar scrubs. Brown sugar is hard to find and expensive here, so I wouldn't waste it on my hair.

The other option is just to use honey like shampoo. Because I started doing honey masks years ago, then started washing my face with honey, the idea of using it as a hair wash came naturally. It acts like a WO wash, but more moisturizing and cleaning at the same time, and again, rinsing enough is KEY.

Yesterday I did my first SMT without aloe because I couldn't find my aloe liquid. Conditioner mixed one-to-one with honey, left on for about 3 hours, also gave me soft, smooth hair and moisturized ends.

I have to agree that the SMT is one of the very best things about this site. Again, hats off to Snowy! Her treatment has totally changed my hair and scalp for the better.

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanegirl View Post
    Sure you can! Pleanty of people add just honey to their condish all the time. Heat it up, leave it on for a good long time, and you have yourself a deep tx!

Lady of the Reflective Soul in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Daughter of the King WritingPrincess's Avatar
    South of the cheese, not quite out of the corn.
    Length
    SL/41"/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I'm going to do this tonight. My mom buys bulk honey, but she's protective of it because of the problems with bees lately. So she wants to know if I can use molasses, as we have a big bucket of that that a) is half as expensive and b) we've been working our way through for about 7 years.

When I want to wash again I'm going to try Ursula's MMW
    "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."
    ~ John 8:11

Length
    22.5/BSL/waist

Thanks for posting all the SMT info. I'd like to try this soon!

Length
    23/27/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I did my first SMT on Friday and I still have lovely soft and shiny hair, my hair seems to love honey and actually doesnt seem to mind the aloevera once its mixed with something else

Going to do another one tonight as I didnt manage to leave the last one on very long and want to see if a longer application works well.

I wanted to try a henna gloss, would this work using a SMT as the conditioner the henna is mixed with? Would save having goo on my head for hours twice

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by NurseMama View Post
    I just wanted to update that today is 2 days since I did the SMT and I have no greasies! None! My hair is still soft and freshly washed looking. Why would that be when normally with CO I get greasy by the second day at least?
    Perhaps because SMT has honey, which is antibacterial and lightly cleansing?

As someone with SD/eczema, I really like washing skin and scalp with *just* honey. At the moment it does not get my hair clean enough as a wash on its own, but every time I do have it on my scalp it calms the itchies and flakies and is just sooo NICE.

CO made my hair greasy and my scalp terribly unhappy. Personally I think it is overrated, whereas SMT and honey are not appreciated enough!

Contrary to what's popular here, I strongly disagree that honey lightens hair. At least for mine, which is relatively light to begin with, it has not made a difference in hair color. Ditto for BF, who I regularly do SMT on and whose hair is 1-2 shades lighter than mine.

Glad you like SMT; I think it's one of the best things I ever did for my hair. Planning one tonight!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    APL/Waist/+++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Frick. Is there an action plan for if curds occur? I was lazy and instead of juicing my own aloe I picked up my mum's bottle of aloe gel, it's 99.9% aloe but it's still made a difference. I've rinsed and rinsed but decided to give up. Do they come out when it dries? Does this affect how well it works?

Redheads not warheads.

Length
    1 inc/2 inc/2 inc
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Figured we should get basic directions for an SMT up, since noobies tend to get directed to it quite often. This isn't my recipe -- LHCer Snowymoon came up with it, and it's a great moisture treatment that many of us swear by.

SMT Recipe
    4 parts conditioner
    1 part honey
    1 part clear aloe gel

Heat in the microwave for a few seconds til it's warm, then apply to wet or dry hair (especially the ends). Cover hair with a shower cap/shopping bag/clingy food wrap/whatever, and let it sit for as long as you can stand it (30 minutes to overnight). Rinse out, do not shampoo.

A few notes:
    Conditioners work best when they have minimal protein. Many people also avoid conditioners with silicone compounds for this. (I haven't experimented with protein ones, so that's word-of-mouth. I think protein-containing conditioners are likely to give lumpy, blobby results.)