Page 5 of 252 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I have some SMT in my hair as we speak actually. xD I plan on leaving it on all night and the rinsing with an ACV rinse and then conditioning the hair again.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

the SMT without aloe didn't seem to moisturize as much as that with. I guess the aloe is there for a reason.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Cool my first SMT!!

After reading the many posts about this concoction, and after much nerve rattling over the honey aspect, I decided to try the original recipie SMT. I used the 4 parts freesia VO5 (I never tried the stuff before. I'm dumbfounded about how inexpensive it is) to 1 part honey and 1 part CVS generic aloe gel. I mixed, then microwaved it 30 seconds, and applied it, all the while pondering the lightening effects of honey and how they are really not welcome in my hair. I have discovered that my hair really loves the combination, and had no adverse lightening. Thank you to everyone involved!
    One question: How often should one SMT? Weekly? More? I guess it depends on your hair type? Why does nuked honey smell like peroxide for a few seconds? Okay that was a few questions. I'll be quiet now and revel in the greatness of the masters who invented it

Length
    27/30.5/hip
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Can anyone tell me if they have a problem with shedding after an SMT? My hair seemed to shed more when I tried CO and, at a different time, from honey. I wondered if anyone else found they make them shed when applied to the scalp and if there's an alternative. I really want to try an SMT but am a little nervous!

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

My hair was feeling frizzy but coated and dehydrated, even though I had been COing all week. I clarified and did a SMT with VO5 tea/Honeysuckle Rose combo, and got several complements from strangers on my beautiful hair!

AO Honeysuckle Rose is THICK, thick thick!!! and works really well for this. I mixed it with the VO5 b/c I am almost out. I have used Suave Aloe with good results as well.
    Last edited by lookingglass; June 5th, 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Lady of the Reflective Soul in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RavennaNight View Post
    Why does nuked honey smell like peroxide for a few seconds? Okay that was a few questions. I'll be quiet now and revel in the greatness of the masters who invented it
    Probably because honey contains peroxide which lightens the hair UNLESS you microwave it. And I believe however much you SMT is up to you and what your hair can handle. xD I used to do them everyday for no good reason.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Yesterday I made myself a bit modified SMT, without the aloe. I diluted 3 teaspoonfulls of honey with a little water and added conditioner (Cliven, an Italian brand) and added almost a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. I applied it on slightly damp hair and kept it about 2-3h. After that I just rinsed it and my hair was soft and nice.
    I've tried it with aloe last summer but after rinsing, the hair frizzed all up, it was strange. That was on freshly washed hair. Another time i tried it on slightly damp and again I got frizzy hair. I wonder what's the problem, why my hair and the aloe in SMT don't get along? Otherwise, aloe applied on my dry hair is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    Myrddin, I either use crystallized honey and "scrub" my scalp with it - similar to how I imagine people do brown sugar scrubs. Brown sugar is hard to find and expensive here, so I wouldn't waste it on my hair.

The other option is just to use honey like shampoo. Because I started doing honey masks years ago, then started washing my face with honey, the idea of using it as a hair wash came naturally. It acts like a WO wash, but more moisturizing and cleaning at the same time, and again, rinsing enough is KEY.

Yesterday I did my first SMT without aloe because I couldn't find my aloe liquid. Conditioner mixed one-to-one with honey, left on for about 3 hours, also gave me soft, smooth hair and moisturized ends.

I have to agree that the SMT is one of the very best things about this site. Again, hats off to Snowy! Her treatment has totally changed my hair and scalp for the better.

Did you put this on wet or dry hair?
    And one to one meaning equal parts honey and conditioner?
    I am thinking of trying an smt.

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I always do SMT on wet, freshly washed hair. Some may do it differently.

I never use aloe anymore, just 2 parts conditioner, two parts honey.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

yes, one-to-one means one part honey, one part conditioner.

I always put SMTs on freshly washed, wet hair, and only ever honey "wash" my hair when it's wet. Otherwise, I can imagine it getting much too sticky!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii