Page 52 of 252 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Length
    Chin/??/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

I tried my first SMT a couple of weeks ago, and the results were amaaaazing! 4 parts garnier triple nutrition conditioner, 1 part aloe, 1 part honey.

After doing a protein treatment last night, I smt'ed again, exact same ingredients, left it in for the same amount of time (overnight) but the results aren't nearly as nice. ):
    Is this because I used a protein treatment prior to it?

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've just done my first SMT this morning, and I'd just like to say a HUGE thank you to Snowymoon for creating such an awesome concoction!

My hair feels sooooo soft and the smell of honey is still lingering on a few strands of my hair, which is pretty cool. After I washed my hair, when I was applying the mixture onto my hair, my first thoughts were: "this is actually quite disgusting" - due to all the gloopiness. The entire hour I was waiting, I was kinda worried about how my hair would turn out (in case it would be sticky or wouldn't wash out), but NO, as soon as I stepped in the shower and rinsed it out my hair felt amazingggggggg. I can not stop touching my hair now.

I didn't use aloe gel, I used honey and Dove Full and Thick Conditioner (which is cone free as far as I know).
    ~ I was forever staring at the tender blue veins along the inside of my wrists; fragile twigs trapped under ice. ~

Length
    Short/27,4/TB:)
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

This is a LOVELy invention, and sooo nice for my hair!!
    Thanks big time to snowymoon!!

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I did my second SMT last weekend; posted pics and results are in my blog.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Length
    <BSL/BSL/Waist

Thanks for SMT! It's like DAP but a lil bit better!

Length
    12/33/Clsc
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

After posting on the Mane forum about a dryness issue I was encountering going cone, SLS, paraben and other-things-free, I was directed to this treatment. I used Sauve Naturals cherry blossom conditioner (trying to keep mostly things-free even in treatment) and aloe and honey in the measurements posted. With my thickness and length, I used a cup worth! I wore it up in a shower cap for about 2 hours and then rinsed.

It's still drying now, but it feels much softer than it did pre-treatment. I'm hoping this will buy me another week or two of adjustment time to the 'poo and condish change, to see if my hair will accept it or if I'm officially a cone-head. Either way, I see myself coming back to this when my hair needs a big drink! Thanks!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kabelaced View Post
    I slopped some on my grand mane of one inch and she slathered the same stuff on her shoulder length hair...left it on for the same time...but her hair ended up looking and feeling horrible!! I feel so bad. She had to wash her hair like three or four times before it became "bearable" again!
    I wonder... did she cover it with a shower cap? I'd hate to think what a nightmare dried-on SMT would be!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I'm doing my first SMT ever! I don't have the right kind of aloe, I think (I have the Avon one), so I skipped it. I used 1/4 cup of Suave Ocean Breeze conditioner, and 1/16 cup of honey. I don't think I got the ratios right, but oh well :P It's still going to be moisturizing, I think.

We'll see an hour or so from now when I rinse it all out!
    Next milestone: SL APL BSL ...

Length
    15/34/long!
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jackie75 View Post

I use Giovanni's smooth as silk conditioner with FOTE aloe & honey, leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour. Extremely silky hair!
    Just wondering... Wouldn't Giovanni's "Smooth as Silk" conditioner alone make your hair extremely silky?

I'm really curious to know whether a good conditioner alone can do the job of SMT just as well. Some have mentioned using no aloe juice, others leave the honey out, so it seems CO under a plastic cap for an hour would do a good job anyway

P.S. I don't mean to underestimate the benefits of aloe or honey (or Snowymoon's recipe, for that matter). I'd even say they're better than any commercial conditioner. I'm all for natural ingredients.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by henna4grey View Post
    Just wondering... Wouldn't Giovanni's "Smooth as Silk" conditioner alone make your hair extremely silky?
    Well, you're right in that soaking hair for an extended period in conditioner is generally an improvement over shorter treatments. In my experience though, adding additional humectants seems to improve the moisturizing qualities, at least with cheap conditioners. Many of us find that even mixing a little honey (or lately corn syrup, for me, since I'm cheap) with our conditioner in our hands while in the shower makes it more moisturizing. But you'd have to give it a try both ways to see which is better for you with any given conditioner.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!