Page 53 of 1057 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455631031535531053 ... LastLast

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Wow, gorgeous!!

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

very pretty nightshade.. how long did it take you to learn to do such wonderful professional looking work.. so basicly im wondering how long youve been making hairtoys? all your stuff that you post is super pretty
    can i call this classic length

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
    I love it, Nightshade! I really like the leaf bead, especially.
    Thank you so much! The leaf is very delicate, but I think worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by eadwine View Post
    Wow, gorgeous!!
    I'm so glad you think so

Quote Originally Posted by squiggyflop View Post
    very pretty nightshade.. how long did it take you to learn to do such wonderful professional looking work.. so basicly im wondering how long youve been making hairtoys? all your stuff that you post is super pretty
    I've been making them for about a year and a half now, give or take. I tinkered with it for a few months before taking a crack at a craft show where people thought they were pens or something

To be fair, I have a large background in art, including painting, drawing, sculpting, welding, metal working, jewelry-making and stained glass, so I picked this up quickly as so many skills crossed over.

I greatly appreciate the compliment, especially from a craftswoman in her own right!

Length
    2"/58"/Ni!
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

I've got so many things that aren't finished, but my brain won't stop coming up with more... and ... AND I broke my flex shaft again!! I'm starting to think that maybe these aren't the best tools for what I'm trying to do. Anyway, here's what I worked on yesterday and it still has a long way to go... I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it yet ... It reminds me so much of West Coast Choppers. lol

Thank you again, Nightshade, for explaining how to make clickable thumbnails from our albums.

~♥~ Proud Member of the Renegray Gang ~♥~
    Lady Elishar of Light and Prophecy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sidani View Post
    I've got so many things that aren't finished, but my brain won't stop coming up with more... and ... AND I broke my flex shaft again!! I'm starting to think that maybe these aren't the best tools for what I'm trying to do. Anyway, here's what I worked on yesterday and it still has a long way to go... I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it yet ... It reminds me so much of West Coast Choppers. lol

Thank you again, Nightshade, for explaining how to make clickable thumbnails from our albums.
    OH no! Are you going to be able to return it and get a new one again?
    Hmm, I wonder what other tools you could be using?

That looks really awesome, and it reminds me of west coast choppers as well, lol.
    Very nicely formed/carved!
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Type
    1c/M/C/iii

What inspiration all of you are!

And, Squiggyflop, did you notice that this folder is rounding the corner to 10,000!? How cool is that!?

Indiana but I travel all over the country for work
    Type
    1c/M/ii

l the wax resisted the woodstain but i didnt realize that i had gotten wax droplets all over the comb... the candle had been white so the wax was almost invisible until i applyed the woodstain over it... ofcourse droplets all over the place looks great on silk because it gives the colors more texture and makes it more interesting, but on a comb this looked terrible...
    I know I am responding to a really old post but just in case this comes up again, I thought what the heck....

My suggestion would be to do the same thing again.... put wax drops in different places this time, use a different color wood stain and you'd probably get a very interesting multicolor pattern. Just think some of our best products come out of trying to figure out how to fix our mistakes!

Your work is great by the way!

Susan

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by banglaminerva View Post
    What inspiration all of you are!

And, Squiggyflop, did you notice that this folder is rounding the corner to 10,000!? How cool is that!?
    yes i did notice that.. i didnt expect this thread to be such a hit.. especially because before the crash it seemed like i was the only one activly posting about the toys i was making..
    susiemw um wow that was an old post.. yeah i never tried that again.. i havent really been staining things recently.. though maybe i should make annother wood comb.. thanks for the complement..

quick question i thought that 25 posts were needed to see the off topic section..
    Last edited by squiggyflop; June 10th, 2008 at 06:47 PM.

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

yes i did notice that.. i didnt expect this thread to be such a hit.. especially because before the crash it seemed like i was the only one activly posting about the toys i was making..
    susiemw um wow that was an old post.. yeah i never tried that again.. i havent really been staining things recently.. though maybe i should make annother wood comb.. thanks for the complement..

quick question i thought that 25 posts were needed to see the off topic section..
    You really should try some more staining.

Not anymore, it just takes being registered now.

Was
    0-25 posts:
    Can view the public forums (everything but Community Meets and Off-Topic)
    (plus posting, etc)

changed to
    0-25 posts:
    Can view and post in the public hair-related forums
    Can view and post in the Off-Topic forums (Friendship, etc)
    Can post in the public forums
    Can have an avatar/profile photo
    (that's just the cans, there are lots of can'ts too)

From Dianyla in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...t=1658&page=13

Sorry about the confusion. The first post in this thread was incorrect about the permissions for the Off-Topic (Friendship board, etc) forums. Since the big upgrade those forums have been set up to be off limits to unregistered members. As soon as a member joins (0-25 posts) they have access to view and post in these areas.

I have updated the first post in this thread. Thanks for noting it!
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
    You really should try some more staining.

Not anymore, it just takes being registered now.

Was
    0-25 posts:
    Can view the public forums (everything but Community Meets and Off-Topic)
    (plus posting, etc)

changed to
    0-25 posts:
    Can view and post in the public hair-related forums
    Can view and post in the Off-Topic forums (Friendship, etc)
    Can post in the public forums
    Can have an avatar/profile photo
    (that's just the cans, there are lots of can'ts too)

From Dianyla in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...t=1658&page=13
    aaahhhh! and to think ive been showing my face on the offtopic sections!!! i feel so unsafe knowing that a person just has to register to see this section.. i thought i was talking to members who had proved themselves.. it usually takes a few posts to know if someone is a creepasaurus or not.. the friendship section is full of personal information!!!! now i feel like ive got to sift through all my posts and edit out all my personal information.. and ive got alot of posts!! i dont need creepy people knowing my day to day problems and i certainly dont want them knowing what i look like!!!!

so now any evil stalker looking to hurt someone can prey on people who post in the friendship forum just by taking one minute to register!!!