Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chemicals in Lush Henna?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Chemicals in Lush Henna?

Hey , has any of you ever done a chemical test on Lush Henna Brand to see if the ingredients are actually what they say they are ? I’m a little confused about them and I know some people use them and love it but I want to know if this is a fake Henna brand or not. I just don’t see how it can be natural and I’m worried they have more chemicals in it then they claim.
    Thoughts ?
    Is your hair hungry? Feed it with Plants and watch it grow
    Avatar Profile Photo Taken June 2018
    Mother of One Child, 2 Kitties

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Chemicals in Lush Henna?

Lush henna is not of the best quality. I don't think it's BAQ henna, and that is key here; the rest doesn't even matter really.

If you want BAQ, you're going to have to order the powder, which is far easier to process too, rather than the bars au bain marie.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I used Lush henna for a while, and didn't find it anywhere near as good as body art quality henna. One of their main principles is to cut down on packaging, which means they have added a load of stuff to make it into a block, and to add colour. Unfortunately I found it messy to use, nowhere near as easy as BAQ henna.

I don't know about chemical content. I used their shampoos and conditioners for a year or so and it took me a while to realise they were way too harsh for my hair.

Having said all of that, caca marron gave a beautiful, subtle chestnut, with just a nice natural looking amount of red. I didn't like caca rouge, it wasn't bright enough and had lemon juice in, which I avoid like the plague now.

I think the best way to look at Lush is that they don't test on animals, their ingredients are suitable for vegetarians and some for vegans, and they seek to reduce packaging waste. I wouldn't consider them to be a "natural" brand though, at all.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I agree, I'm not sure about the chemical makeup but I certainly don't trust the quality of the henna itself in their product. I've also heard unpleasant things about their henna bars, i.e having to use so much heat to get them to melt that people have burned themselves.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

That really stinks, to be honest. It’s just like Light Mountain brand, then. I’m on their website and completely floored by the lack of research in their products . I cannot stand fake Henna companies . I’m really curious to know what’s inside this stuff . A block of Henna that you melt ? What on earth

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MotherofJames View Post
    That really stinks, to be honest. It’s just like Light Mountain brand, then. I’m on their website and completely floored by the lack of research in their products . I cannot stand fake Henna companies . I’m really curious to know what’s inside this stuff . A block of Henna that you melt ? What on earth
    Lush is not really a "natural" company if that is something you are seeking.

They do list the ingredients pretty clearly on their website and they aren't too bad really for the henna bar in terms of "scary" stuff: https://www.lush.ca/en/hair/henna-ha...ron/00679.html

Mostly they sound like a giant pain to use, and there won't be as much henna in the mix as if you started with the straight stuff in a more conventional mixture.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    SL/WL/HL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

It is a massive pain to apply! I've used it twice and it always took forever to melt and then went on so clunky for me.

The lady that helped me when I bought it the first time, explained that it's "better" than "normal henna" because they've added butters to make your hair soft. Unlike powder henna which can make hair dry, this is known obviously. Other than that the only add ons are to accentuate the colour (coffee is in one, think thats what its for) and to make it smell more palatable. Another selling point in the magazine was it's quicker processing time. It doesn't need hours on and they seem very proud of that in the store.

I wouldn't say it's at all chemically, not like their other hair products (for me at least). The colour comes out nice and doesn't fade. I wouldn't recommend it though.
    Last edited by chomsky; January 19th, 2018 at 01:17 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

BAQ, not to confuse newbies, stands for Body Art Quality. It is a superior henna that is used in body applications. Normally I'm pretty good with my abbreviations in that I a lot of the times put in brackets what I mean to say, but... anyway.

The henna sold for hair is usually of a "lesser" crop or quality, but some of us are after that deep stain and want the really good quality for hair too.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Lapushka , it’s so nice to see your hair picture in your siggy! Absolutely Beautiful

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MotherofJames View Post
    Lapushka , it’s so nice to see your hair picture in your siggy! Absolutely Beautiful
    Thank you! Appreciate it!

Hope you can find a henna that suits your needs.