Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ChurchStreetAndLove

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Default Re: ChurchStreetAndLove

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska98 View Post
    She listed some neat looking sticks, but they're all so long! *cries* ha, like I need more, though.
    Alaska clear your private message box. There are three new shorter sticks in the shop.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    ??/27/36+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I received my order today. I bought his one https://www.etsy.com/listing/5949763...hair-stick-575 and I'm not totally sure about it. It's not super smooth like I'm used to, but it's not gabby so as to rip my hair. However, the tip is a bit wonky. It's blunt/flat, which may work for some people, but for me makes things difficult to use. And I don't mean that it's more round rather than pointed, but rather like it wasn't lathed all the way down, if that makes sense. It's pretty, and it's usable, I'll just have to be more careful using it because the blunt end will rip my hair. It didn't feel very secure, but that may be due to me being careful not rip hairs.

She did include a freebie which I might like more that the one I purchased. It is smooth like I'm used to, but it's very thick. It tapers from a sharp point to maybe 3/4" to an inch wide. I figured being that wide, I'd never be able to use it - usually wide things refuse to go in my hair. I can't wear the ovals by Outnumbered Novelties, for instance. But it went in! This one felt very secure.

I haven't gotten to wear them for very long because it's raining here today, so I don't know how they'll hold out in the long run.

Overall, I think the this was good purchase. Definitely worth the price point. At this point, I'd say the quality is good, but not great, and I'd buy from her again. I'm really interested in trying a fork and a helix still.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

All this talk of shorter sticks prompted me to have a look ... but she only ships within the US, alas. I like how brightly coloured her work is.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Get some pretty fine sandpaper or fine grit Emery board and create you a point on that stick and then smooth it down. Every long hair needs to have this kind of equipment for their toys cuz even good ones sometimes create splinters. Then you'll be able to enjoy it just like you need to. If you think you don't have time to do it while you're watching TV. That's when I send all of my creations all I'm watching TV with my husband best to you
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    ??/27/36+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Normally that's what I'd do, but I don't want to remove the color.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    All this talk of shorter sticks prompted me to have a look ... but she only ships within the US, alas. I like how brightly coloured her work is.
    Hmm, she does ship to Canada as well but maybe not over the sea.

The shipping quote is more expensive from USA to Canada than shipping from UK and the helix fork I was potentially interested in is also more expensive than Furnivals work. I already know I love her (furnivals) work and it's great quality so I don't think the cost is worth it to me to try something new.

24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I'd reckon shipping to me in Australia counts as over(lotsa) seas. Maybe it's selected items? And yeah, DD, I was comparing to Furnival, too. The helix forks I've got coming are a bit different thanks to the colours, and were cheaper thanks to the wood, so I'll be interested to see how they stack up.

I hope it stops raining soon, Alaska! Thanks for letting us know so far. Mine are in Australia, so should be here... soon?
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

So, it turns out today was "soon". Packaging was safe and sound (sturdy box with everything individually bubble-wrapped into little bundles), and there was a personal card included. Once unwrapped, I thought the finish on the forks could be a little better, but are true to the listing colour--if not a little more vibrant without flash wash-out, and work very well. I was also lucky to be gifted a little bocote stick that has no problems in an updo, either.

Pink and red helix, Blue and Purple helix, bocote stick:

I will probably buff the lot for a smoother, glossier finish at a later date, but for now they work fine.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Crystawni View Post
    I'd reckon shipping to me in Australia counts as over(lotsa) seas. Maybe it's selected items? And yeah, DD, I was comparing to Furnival, too. The helix forks I've got coming are a bit different thanks to the colours, and were cheaper thanks to the wood, so I'll be interested to see how they stack up.

I hope it stops raining soon, Alaska! Thanks for letting us know so far. Mine are in Australia, so should be here... soon?
    this is very true! I guess between the thread, browsing the shop then seeing the shipping notice I really didn't twig. I dunno, lots of other US sellers say the same thing, or similar (some specify they don't post to the UK - maybe the customers have lots of customs hassle or something, and the sellers don't want the risk of being accused of any responsibility) so ... either way, they're not quite my style I'm less bothered about not being able to buy these than lots of the other sellers.

Personal style preferences aside, those forks do look pretty awesome!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    BSL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

My goodness, have only three people on TLHC bought from this shop before? (Does this mean that there are other longhairs out there, in uncharted territory? )

I must admit that I too have purchased from her shop! I'd been eying up her Etsy page and this thread for at least a week or two and thought her shop was worth further investiagtion. And in my humble opinion, I think she's a great dealer! She responded very quickly to e-mails and questions and was very willing to work with me if I wanted something custom made or changed. (I'll try my best to post links, but I've never done it before so this may be a little rusty.) I bought this fork and this rosewood helix late Wednesday night, and they arrived here Saturday morning. (I think that's pretty darn good shipping from Texas to Pennsylvania, so bonus points there!)

I admittedly don't have the amazing collections some of you guys have so I don't have a whole lot to compare quality to. They seem to be crafted very well, as in, it's to a level of detail that I could never produce on my own. They are both very sturdy, and the fork has been holding my slippery hair up all day with no problems. The tines for both items are very well sanded and smooth, though I can spot some tool marks on them. This would be purely personal preference, but I tend to like those unique features since it proves it was handmade, and none of those marks are catching in my hair due to it being so well sanded.

I did have to ask her about measurements for the fork since they were not included in the description, but she was very good with response time and gave me precise measurements. She may still be trying to set up and improve her Etsy page since she is a relatively new dealer, so I'm not really worried about it for future use. Overall, I would give her 5/5! There may be a few things she could improve, but her craftsmanship is very good and she's more than willing to go the extra mile for her customers
    Last edited by mwallingford; April 28th, 2018 at 08:10 PM.