Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone use olive oil for daily use?

Length
    9"/20"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default does anyone use olive oil for daily use?

hi there, just wondering if anyone uses olive oil as a daily softener for your ends?
    i usually use cocunut oil for my ends after my hair is dry (after a shower).
    is olive oil too heavy or does anyone use it like that? (im not talking about a deep oil treatment where you slather it & wash it out after an hour).
    thanks
    tami
    Long term henna head currently growing out my hair. Currently shoulder length. Goal, bra strap length.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Default Re: does anyone use olive oil for daily use?

I have, and I do find it to be a bit heavy for my very dry hair. However, you can use it.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

When my hair was waist length I used olive oil on the ends but I did tend to be quite heavy handed and use too much. I had to cut my hair to chin length in March in order to get rid of damage and start again so now I use jojoba oil which is much lighter in texture and less visible on my shorter hair. I love to scent my oils with a few drops of essential oil, neroli is my favourite.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I was using light olive oil daily for about 3 months and really liked how well it felt without being heavy. I concentrated its use on the bottom inch of my wavy back of head top layers to keep them soft and from wanging straight outward.

I really liked the idea of a singular household oil with multiple purposes. Now I've switched off to jojoba for the first time to check it out, but will definitely go back to phases of daily olive oil.
    Inch by inch, step by step, slowly I grow ...

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalsofhair View Post
    I have, and I do find it to be a bit heavy for my very dry hair. However, you can use it.
    Might. MIGHT be able to use it.

Regardless of coarseness, she's still a 1b, and that can have as much to do with the appearance of oily hair as fineness can.

I'd give it a shot. I can use olive oil as a styler on all my hair if I feel like it, but I have a differing type.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

That was the first oil I used. I used it every day and almost every day. I just used the least amount possible and I didn't mind it. It wasn't too bad, but it was just VERY easy to overdo it.

Length
    9"/20"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

thanks ladies, i know i can count on you for quick replies.
    question...do you use pure jojoba oil or is there a brand you can recommend?
    thanks
    Long term henna head currently growing out my hair. Currently shoulder length. Goal, bra strap length.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I am a fair bit more curly/wavy than your hair type but I prefer EVOO to coconut oil for styling because its a heavier oil. I like coconut oil for buns though.

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    14/19/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I thought about trying olive oil but the coconut oil is working very well with my hair. I don't really like the smell of olive oil. The coconut oil smells much better and the scent seems to go with most conditioners. Still, I may give the olive oil a try on a day that I don't have to go anywhere just in case I don't like it.

Length
    25"/28"/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I dab a little Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Blend on my ends & hair for a shinny finish after a partial blow dry & style (I have oily skin & hair if I do not blow dry my scalp area it will lie flat & look very bad half way through the day in hot Fl). That blend works real well for me, it soaks in nicely and doesn't leave my hair greasy or too stringy, its very lite and has a pleasant smell. I buy it at WallMart in the ethnic section. I saw it at albertsons & Publix but it was a lot more expensive then at WallMart.
    I usually apply liberal amount of oil to my hair at night before I wash it in the morning two to three times a week. Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Blend & Apricot Oil are my Favs. I sometimes use Africa's Best - Ultimate Herbal Oil w/ginseng(red Cap) and coconut oil. I also wash my face with grape-seed oil sometimes.