Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Natural Shampoo Alternatives

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Default Re: Natural Shampoo Alternatives

Yes. I use Fiorinel's egg shampoo for about half a year now. Usually I use one egg, but when I heavy oil before I use two.
    I don't think I really need the two, but one is not enough, and I do not know what to do with the half of an egg that would remain

I don't use acidic rinse (my hair does not like it) and since I put a bit of citric acid in the shampoo mix, my scalp and hair are just fine.

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Upside Down View Post
    Yes. I use Fiorinel's egg shampoo for about half a year now. Usually I use one egg, but when I heavy oil before I use two.
    I don't think I really need the two, but one is not enough, and I do not know what to do with the half of an egg that would remain
    Make the smallest omelett in the world

I don't use acidic rinse (my hair does not like it) and since I put a bit of citric acid in the shampoo mix, my scalp and hair are just fine.
    My hair does not like acidic stuff either. But I found it hard to get a balance of acid and alkalines in the egg blend.
    How much citric acid do you use?

Scalps seams to really looove egg wash.

Length
    none/neck/wl
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Do you think this will help my very thin, balding in the top of my head hair?

I have just recently learned about 'transitioning' and have not had a perm since 4-24-09.

I am asking for help, ladies and thanks so very much for any advice, tips, etc. to get my

hair to grow.

I love this forum, btw!

TIA

Alicia

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HotRag View Post
    Make the smallest omelett in the world
    Hehehe

My hair does not like acidic stuff either. But I found it hard to get a balance of acid and alkalines in the egg blend.
    How much citric acid do you use?

Scalps seams to really looove egg wash.
    Auf, my best answer is "a little". I never measure it, just put a pinch of the powder in... and have not had any scalp or hair problems with using this acidic egg shampoo and just plain tap water with rosemary tea as a rinse...
    I tried not using acid in the egg mix, but my scalp feels waxy after two washes or so.

In fact, water here is hard and I tried to use distilled water, but my hair just felt flat. Also, I tried to make acidic rinse with tap water and distilled water, but it felt dry. The best thing for me is tap water and no acid in the rinse.

To sum it up, here is how I see it:
    It takes optimisation because water differs in different parts of the world (not that I use water in the recipee, but it is a factor in washing), eggs differ from chicken to chicken, and honey is probably the biggest source of variation in this recipee.

So play around with it, that is the best thing I can say.

Length
    16/sh/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Shucks, thank you! That's the soapnuts! :-)
    Where do you buy the soapnuts?
    11/2/11 ~ 32 inches long (when stetched) ~ 2 1/2 inches circ. ~ Waist when wet...next goal waist when dry
    Lady Bethiah-Tallie of the Divine Kingdom in the order of the Longhaired Knight

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ALICIA View Post
    Do you think this will help my very thin, balding in the top of my head hair?

I have just recently learned about 'transitioning' and have not had a perm since 4-24-09.

I am asking for help, ladies and thanks so very much for any advice, tips, etc. to get my

hair to grow.

I love this forum, btw!

TIA

Alicia
    Well, it might take quite a while for your hair and scalp to recover from a perm. A gentle shampoo certainly won't hurt the process, but if you're balding from a perm, all you can really do is wait, and maybe try some rograine.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I love how egg shampoo makes my hair feel. I've used it in the winter but in the summer here no matter how much I rinse or even if I do an acid rinse after my hair starts to smell of egg. In the winter I don't notice it as much - but here in the summer it gets over 100 degrees F every day and I guess this cooks whatever protein is left in the hair somewhere... how do you deal with the smell issue - or are you egg shampoo users all in a colder climate than me?
    I would LOVE to use eggs.

also - thinking it might just be my cheap grocery store eggs LOL - i bought fresh eggs from the farmers market - same thing! even when i do an egg mask on my face which i love, i smell the egg smell later.

I also gave a thought that it might just be me (i have a very sensitive nose) but my boyfriend notices it too - and then one day my lawyer asked me what that smell was... so i stopped.

About the only way I have found to combat this is to do an acidic rinse with quite a bit of lavender essential oil in it after - and then I still get whiffs of egg sometimes.

I do see that you Fiorinel use a rosemary rinse afterwards... hmmm rosemary is smellier and i have a rosemary plant... well perhaps i will try this next!
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

ratgirldjh, I do not combat the smell of eggs. I do not mind it, thank god.
    But my boyfriend really minds it and he keeps complaining about it. (so we made a packt. I will not smoke except when I drink beer, and he will stop complaining about the natural smells )
    So if someone finds a good solution, I am very interested.

Btw, it is I who uses the rosemary rinse, and though it smells wonderful, and is plain magic on my hair, it does not dull the egg smell.

Good luck though!

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Well no eggs for me I guess - last time I tried it everyone around me complained and I was starting to feel ill - but I am super sensitive to smells - even good ones and eggs dont smell good to me but they sure make my hair feel nice.

Actually I even had to give up using my egg masks on my face because the lingering odor (in the summer) just got to me after a while... even my hands seemed to retain this odor.

One thing I did find to help was to put a few drops of lavender or rosemary or even better patchouli EO in the egg mixture before using...

But then you just smell EO and eggs LOL

Same thing happened to me when I tried yogurt.

I guess that it is just too hot here most of the year to use protein substances for washing.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    BUZZ/APL/ter
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii

Question Re: Natural Shampoo Alternatives

hi mellie
    thanks for the great info on using soapnuts for hairwashing.

i only wash my hair once every 2 weeks, and so i would prefer to have a fresh soapnut liquid ready for hair washing day as opposed to making a huge amount of liquid that would go rancid probably before i would get the chance of using it

how many soapnuts should i use with how much water to make the liquid for one wash of let's say 1 ounce?