Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Natural Shampoo Alternatives

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Natural Shampoo Alternatives

I was going to try washing my hair with the egg recipe but now I've read about the lingering after-smell of egg I've suddenly changed my mind.....it honestly hadn't occured to me that would happen. Ugh!
    Thanks for pointing it out ratgirldjh.

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I've just started using Finoriel's egg shampoo and am having great results! As for the smell issue, I find that if I use chamomile tea and lemon juice (as my acid) as a final rinse, it's fine, and I have a very sensitive sense of smell. The bigger thing for me is getting the smell out of my bathtub!

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by melikai View Post
    I've just started using Finoriel's egg shampoo and am having great results! As for the smell issue, I find that if I use chamomile tea and lemon juice (as my acid) as a final rinse, it's fine, and I have a very sensitive sense of smell. The bigger thing for me is getting the smell out of my bathtub!

Glad to hear that it's working so well for you Melikai. Love your hair by the way!
    Finoriel's egg recipe seems to be giving a lot of people great results which is why I'm so keen to try it, so to hear that a final herbal rinse can mask the smell is very interesting. You've convinced me to try it but I've found lemon juice to be extremely drying on my hair when used as a final rinse in the past. Do you think that using a final herbal rinse on its' own would mask the smell? I'm about to start experimenting with catnip as a conditioner so perhaps it would work.

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

It's probably the scent of the chamomile that masks any remaining egg smell - I'm sure rosemary (if you have darker hair) would work very well too. I do CWC, so the smell of my conditioner on my length might be helping here too. I also rinse out the egg shampoo VERY well.

Here's what I do:

~wet hair, squeeze out excess water on length
    ~apply conditioner to length
    ~apply egg, honey, and lemon or citric acid mixture to scalp only, massage in well, leave for 5 minutes
    ~rinse out very well with warm water, squeeze out excess water on length
    ~apply conditioner to length
    ~rinse, then do final rinse with chamomile tea and lemon juice. I've used citric acid in place of lemon juice and it works well.

Make sure you're putting in enough honey with the egg - for some reason I feel like this can mask the egg smell too. I used a double recipe the last time and I don't think I put in enough honey, and the smell was stronger (but still didn't linger after washing).
    I've never used catnip, so I'm not sure how strong of a scent it has.

ETA: and thanks for the compliment

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau