Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Natural Shampoo Alternatives

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Natural Shampoo Alternatives

HotRag, do not tell me you eat egg white without the yolk I know it´s theoretically possible to do that... but... but... but they just taste better complete and I do not like to save up half an egg for baking sometime later, probably a long time later , when I can use it up complete and get better results with it, too. And general lack of dogs in my house, just a picky cat who seems to hate eggs in general. She even avoids me on hairwash days - ahem... anyways.

I found this reference about egg-facts, maybe you´ll find them interesting:
    Nutrient Breakdown
    Learn more about eggs
    In conclusion: The yolk contains all of the fat in an egg and with about 33% of the weight it contains a little less than half of it´s protein. It´s responsible for the emulsifying properties (lecithin) also. So the yolk is the protein and fat bomb in the egg and acts as the cleansing agent as well.
    edited to add: If you have ever made your own mayonnaise you will know how much oil a simple egg yolk can emulsify "away". It´s a lot.
    The egg white contains the majority of the sulfur (reduction of shedding and growth stimulating andsoon) and lowers the cleaning effect of the egg when used as a wholeeggshampoo. Makes the recipe less harsh. That´s why you do not need to add oil or water to my version of the egg shampoo. Egg yolk based shampoos are either very good cleansers which possibly act drying - or need to contain additional oil / be watered down to make the shampoo more balanced.

Sure you can get your hair clean with 1001 different methods, the point is more how gentle it is to long hair and how oneself personally likes the preparing, usage and result of a recipe. So it´s mainly just a matter of taste and that´s just how I prefer my eggs (sounds , lol) and why.
    Last edited by Finoriel; November 5th, 2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added mayonnaises sentence

Length
    31/32/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Hi there,,

This is really intresting,,as i am using natural alternatives for hair washing,,,I found soapnut (Aritha) as a good cleanser but once a 2 week i sure like to do a egg protein treatment,,Mixing Egg and fenugreek powder (methi powder) for 30 min sumthing or more if one can tolerate and than washing it out ,,,ofcourse with little diluted SLS free shampoo..It does makes a good difference,,

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Since I started the "Natural Conditioner Alternatives" thread, I thought it might make sense to make another one for Shampoo!

Please list here your tried and tested all natural, homemade shampoos!

Here's mine (I can't take credit for it though, it is from the book "Beauty Secrets of India".)
    Soapnut Shampoo

1 c. whole soapnuts
    1 c. water
    1 T. lemon or lime juice

Soak soapnuts in water overnight. Take out the soapnuts, dry them and save in a plastic bag for one more use. You should have 8 oz. soapnut liquid. If not, add enough water to make 8 oz. Add the lemon or lime juice, pour into a squirt bottle and keep in the fridge. Shake before use.

When using, shield your eyes with one hand as the liquid will burn your eyes if it gets in them. Squirt through your scalp and rub lightly (it will run down your ends so don't worry about them). Leave on a few minutes then rinse out.

P.S. This liquid is also great for handwashing dishes and wiping down counters, as it is antiseptic and antibacterial.

P.P.S. Also, I notice a LOT less shedding when I use soapnuts!

ETA: Here's a closeup pic of my hair after a few weeks of exclusive soapnut shampoos:

where do you buy your soapnuts from? I so want to try this
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Lately I have found them locally at my local health food co-op in the laundry detergents area. But the first time, I ordered them online from Amazon.com. I got the "Lullwater" brand ones.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Lately I have found them locally at my local health food co-op in the laundry detergents area. But the first time, I ordered them online from Amazon.com. I got the "Lullwater" brand ones.
    Thanks. I think I have the Aritha powder at my place. If I use powder how do I do it that way?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I've never used the powder, but from what I understand, you just add enough water to make a paste and apply to your hair then rinse out.

Type
    1c/C/iii

I'd like to try washing my hair with egg yolks but I am worried about the smell.

My scalp does not like essential oils so that is not a possibility for overcoming the smell issue.

Any advice?

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've never used the powder, but from what I understand, you just add enough water to make a paste and apply to your hair then rinse out.
    yeah it didn't work so well this way. I just read somewhere to boil it and strain it..hmm I may try that with some orange peel powder I have. I plan to order whole soapnuts next week and use them for laundry as well how long does your soapnut shampoo last before going rancid?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I haven't had it go rancid on me yet...I usually use it within a week or so though. I wash my dishes with it too!

If you add in some EOs it might help make it last a little longer too!

Length
    29/33/more!
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've been reading all the soapnut stuff but doubted I could buy some locally (not much of an Indian population nearby) until I checked in the clothes washing section of an independant health food shop today.....yey result! Some are soaking now. I've rubbed a bit of the liquid thats soaked a while on my neck and the inside of my elbow as a skin test overnight. I'm rubbish at testing things as I never normally react but I found recently that bicarbonate of soda made my neck and chest itchy as hell when I tried using it as a hair cleanser (it was not a strong solution, just the 1tbsp to one cup of water I've seen sugested in various places).

I'll be trying it tommorrow!