Thread: Antihistamine properties of amla and indigo

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Antihistamine properties of amla and indigo

People with mastocytosis can go into anaphylactic shock from histamine. So I assume this blogger knows what she's talking about. Of course people can react to anything, but it's good to know that adding these herbs to a dye blend can minimize the reaction. I react to a lot of things, so I'll do a patch test on my skin with my next batch of strand tests.

https://healinghistamine.com/non-tox...nts-allergies/

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Antihistamine properties of amla and indigo

I would be skeptical of this lady's post if she's saying that specifically without further context. I'm especially skeptical of people who point at scientific studies (especially if they only list one or two supporting studies) saying "This is true!" The study she links regarding alma and rats says nothing about the study size (for example, did the study cover 10 rats, or 100?) and neither does the study with indigo and rats!

Anaphylactic shock is from histamine, this is true, but anyone can go into anaphylactic shock (including people with no previous record of allergies), it's not limited to people with mastocytosis. It's also my understanding that people can develop allergies to almost anything, including food and plant items described as antihistamines.

I also have a histamine related disorder, dermatographism. What this means is I am permanently (and sometimes severely) itchy no matter what I do. There is not a whole lot of research on non-allergy histamine disorders from what I've been able to suss out, and trust me, because of my itchiness, I've looked like crazy. You're real inspired to do your research if you're in discomfort or even pain because you itch. There are doctors out there who will say "histamine intolerance" is not a real diagnosis or real disease, it's made up by a bunch of people who believe in woo science (think Gwyneth Paltrow and her jade eggs). It's probably a real thing in some form or another (think on how fibromyalgia was considered a woo disease for a long time) but the research is not there yet... and trusting a lay person with no scientific background who is citing single studies instead of a lot of them, and who definitely doesn't have the training to interpret those studies?

Tread carefully.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Antihistamine properties of amla and indigo

Thanks Akurah,

I guess anaphylaxis is always caused by histamine! I was thinking of the histamine that is already present in some plants and other foods, and that mastocytosis patients frequently go into shock.

I have a mast cell/histamine disorder as well. Learning to avoid histamine in food has helped me a lot. I'll skin and strand test with and without some added indigo. I wouldn't mind cooling down the henna tone a bit anyway.