Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: It's not "old or antique lace"?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: It's not "old or antique lace"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I agree with what your message is and I certainly don't treat my hair like antique lace. However, I'd like to mention that wigs and other hair extensions were quite popular in the Victorian era, and female baldness was an issue due to burns resulting from curlers and other nasty stuff. We can't always trust the photos.
    Totally agree with that. My great grandmother on my mother's side is on a portrait with her husband and their first born. She has one major updo and some thick dark hair. One day I'll share that picture again. I believe I once did, but can no longer find it. It's on the storage disk around here somewhere... but... OMG, the mess.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Ahaha, I surely won´t bleach "antique lace" with 30vol peroxide then dye it purple
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Pfftt bwahahahahhahahahahaha oh mi gatos. My side.

If I treated my hair like any kind of lace we would have never got the skirt bun. Or any of the other crazy crap I have done.

The naughty mess says, "and I would have pushed the button"

Oh yeah and he would have been left free to push the button to end all things. So there is that too.

The naughty mess says, "I plead innocent!"
    Should have kept your snaggles off the keyboard and plead the 5th.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

You want rules, these are the rules: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...p?do=showrules

Any hair rules are on you peeps. LHC has never had "hair rules" no matter how many people think we do.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    You want rules, these are the rules: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...p?do=showrules

Any hair rules are on you peeps. LHC has never had "hair rules" no matter how many people think we do.
    That was my point.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm actually making myself rather mad over my hair. I grew it out to classic length doing my best to follow the rules of very careful handling.

Then I got it cut to collarbone length and had fun straightening or curling it whenever I felt like it. After 2 years, I decided to grow it out again and promised myself that I would still straighten or curl it whenever I felt like it and avoid becoming obsessive about it.

It's midback length now, and I'm obsessive over it. Sigh .......

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Servana View Post
    Don't want to start drama but I never got the point of growing such long hair if it's always hidden in a bun. That's just me though.
    I know some people just genuinely love updos and that's the main reason they even have their hair long.
    But I'm in the same camp as you, if I have to sacrifice having my hair down ever what's the point?
    I definitely can't wait for updos and hairtoys, but that's only half the fun for me!
    Just trying to get by

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I wish I could do it. My hair is like spiderweb, it gets into everything and tangles like crazy, if I had to wear it always down I would have given up on it long time ago.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post

Hmm. Yeah. Basically, we're doing it to ourselves.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

That mantra got me past BSL for the first time in my life. I stopped ripping through my hair while it was wet and became aware of when it was breaking. I was pretty extreme for a while and fingercombed only as I became aware that my detangling habits were hurting my hair and chances of long hair (it felt extreme for someone coming from a wavy-hair-masquerading-as-straight-hair mindset that requires constant brushing to look right/combing was only for wet hair and a brush was needed to break up the clumps). Now, I definitely am a lot more careless, but at the same time I’ve never lost the sense I developed back when I started growing my hair: that hair breaks when it’s exposed to rough treatment. There’s certain things I avoid that I didn’t use to care about, like hair under straps or trapped against a chair.

Now I honestly should treat my hair more like lace since I think I’ll be hitting a plateau in the next few years. I think I should be using a sleep cap or satin pillowcase since I thrash a lot trying to fall asleep and can’t be bothered to put my hair in a protective style before bed. My ends are long enough to sit on in a braid, and my current level of gentleness in handling isn’t great enough for the hazards of the length, if that makes sense. Last time I got this long, I cut off five inches because of what I felt were the effects of my sleep braid dangling around bumping into things as I did work in the house. Now my ends feel pretty similar.