Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Study on Peppermint EO and hair growth.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Study on Peppermint EO and hair growth.

Just randomly searching stuff I came across this study on the effects of peppermint oil. Here's a link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

"Abstract

Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a plant native to Europe and has been widely used as a carminative and gastric stimulant worldwide. This plant also has been used in cosmetic formulations as a fragrance component and skin conditioning agent. This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil on hair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth. ALP activity and IGF-1 expression also significantly increased in PEO group. Body weight gain and food efficiency were not significantly different between groups. These results suggest that PEO induces a rapid anagen stage and could be used for a practical agent for hair growth without change of body weight gain and food efficiency."

I know some members here have reported increased growth when using peppermint oil and reading this it seems to be worth considering.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Study on Peppermint EO and hair growth.

I bought some peppermint oil a month ago because I really wanted to try it but then I started experimenting with saw palmetto instead and didn't want to do both at the same time since I wouldn't know what to attribute results to. Long story short, yesterday I went and returned the peppermint oil because I figured I wouldn't be using it any time soon. Darn. Guess I'll have to go out and rebuy some to try.

24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

There's A LOT peppermint oil in my new herbal conditioner, and i have lots of new hairs that have started growing just after i started using this, I suspect it is the peppermint oil in it. Thumbs up from me.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I use peppermint oil on my scalp all the time. It's great stuff

Length
    16.5/TLB/50
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

I don't know if this helps with my growth but it feels amazing in a pre poo scalp treatment which is good enough for me!
    Long hair, Do care
    Eye on the classic prize

Length
    SH/BSB/We'll
    Type
    4a/4b/F/M/ii/iii

I used it once in my tea rinse and it felt oh so heavenly.im gonna go buy some.

Length
    CL/APL/happy
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

very interesting, and something I feel I could actually try! Thank you for posting!
    " And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"- Nietzche

Length
    cbl/ftl/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

i need to try this!! thanks for sharing. it is hard to decide sometimes which out of many available oils and experiments to try.
    ۞
    Lady Tyet, Weaver of the Endless Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1b/F/i

Wow, fascinating! I'd like to see this replicated with other animals. Did anyone notice how many mice were in each group?
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Length
    22/31/term
    Type
    2c/F/i

What does that mean "an increase in follicle number"? I thought we had a set number of follicles?