Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: None to be Found ~ GiNormous Hair Accessories!

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: None to be Found ~ GiNormous Hair Accessories!

Right, butterfly clips worked great until I had just too much hair. I laughed at lapusha's description, remembering my clip flying across the room.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    To a certain extent it does depend on the type - I think the proper metal ones with wide enough beading are less likely to slide out than the cheap plastic ones you can get. There are also different sizes available - someone could always ask for a custom if the top size in the relevant Etsy shops wasn't big enough
    Oh no... the metal ones too. Believe me, I tried. They are just not for my hair. And my hair is just over the edge of iii, and "only" classic length. And it ate them BSL, that's when I tried them, with a peacock twist / log roll. I'm sorry but to me, these are the worst of the worst you can get for thick hair!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Oh no... the metal ones too. Believe me, I tried. They are just not for my hair. And my hair is just over the edge of iii, and "only" classic length. And it ate them BSL, that's when I tried them, with a peacock twist / log roll. I'm sorry but to me, these are the worst of the worst you can get for thick hair!
    Fair enough. I had one with what looked like scrunchies in between two plastic stubby combs and that didn't hold much at all! But the largest ones I've seen on Etsy look like they can hold several times as much hair. Eh, there's nothing that universally works for everyone's hair - we can only try
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Fair enough. I had one with what looked like scrunchies in between two plastic stubby combs and that didn't hold much at all! But the largest ones I've seen on Etsy look like they can hold several times as much hair. Eh, there's nothing that universally works for everyone's hair - we can only try
    Oh so true!

I was *so* glad to have stuck it out to waist/hip with my little peacock twist / log roll and a bigger claw clip. That is what saved me! And then I magically discovered I could do a bun at that length; the rest is history. 2-prong hair fork, and never looked back!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    44/55/knie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Ooh I think Crystawni did a peacock ponytail with a Ficarre, IIRC it was a peacock twist but with the tail so long it was still a ponytail - it looked great!

I don't know about people with super-thick hair but I think people with super-long hair who use claw clips tend to hold the length with at least a couple, rather than one big one. Again it's about technique, holding enough to keep the structure together but not expecting to hold it all in one.
    True that. I must say, that it is extremely difficult to find really big claw clips. Long doesn't mean necessarily big, because in most long clips you have a very narrow tube-like tunnel, which holds good thick but short hair, when you can't gather your hair into a ponytail yet, but you can gather the short strands from down to up into a kind of French Twist and put the claw over. But really big hair claw clips which also have big volume IMHO are found in some Southern countries only. I have two real Jumbo clips from Thailand, which were sold at Amazon and Ebay once.

But also these are not perfect because they are slightly rounded on the sides from up to down. That means, that there is only much grip in the first and the last two prongs, when I make a French Twist with it, but the middle prongs are too far away. That problem I also see in those octopus and spider clips who are round even. But I need them straight on the sides, but still with a head's curve of course.

Here a picture for comparison of a normal big clip and my jumbo clip from Thailand.

The Jumbo clip is 4 1/2 Inches long and the distance between the spring and the bottom is 2 2/5 Inches. The normal big clip has a spring-bottom distance of 1 3/5 Inches only. That spring-bottom distance is, what makes a claw clip jumbo or not. And a Jumbo hair claw doesn't have to be very long necessarily.

Then it is important that the spring is strong. The biggest and most voluminous hair clip will slip out of hair, when the spring is very weak. That's why I prefer rather a middle and a small clip with strong springs for one updo together, than a single big clip with a weak spring. You can still use claw clips with weak springs or with a not so ergonomic shape, when making a ponytail first, which will add much stability for the updo coming later.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Those clips are so beautiful, Fornarina! Do you have a link or are they not listed anymore?

I'm also glad to see this thread and that I'm not the only one to wonder why a truly giant claw clip doesn't exist I want ONE to hold my log roll!

Length
    44/55/knie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hi Lapis,

I'm so sorry. I made a quick search now and I found nothing to recommend here in this regard seriously. Unfortunately I bought the greyish clip in 2013 and the other black one in 2017. Both sellers are no longer active and it seems a kind of searching for a needle in the straw within all those smaller clips with the glued on glitz, instead that the glitz is bezeled like in my clips. But when I find some new ones of this kind, I'll surely let you know here.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

No worries, Fornarina! Thanks for sharing them

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Ficcare has made some XL Ficcarissimos. I'd never need that but there must be demands for super large clips. You should try one.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    Ficcare has made some XL Ficcarissimos. I'd never need that but there must be demands for super large clips. You should try one.
    Aah, I haven't tried those. They're lovely, especially that sea green one! It's definitely on my list next time I can justify the price and shipping charge