Quote Originally Posted by vampyyri View Post
Basically, my end goal is "happy". I really don't know where that is, but I'll know it when I get there
This, so much! I don't know what my goal is more specifically than to find the length where my hair and I can be in harmony rather than in a constant battle of wills that I always lose.

1. What was your starting point, and how long ago was it?
I started this journey, with intentions of Succeeding, back when I was lurking on LHC vicariously through a friend. Even with so much distance removed everyone in this community made me feel nostalgic for long hair and inspired to try again. I started January 2016 when I decided no more maintaining of my pixie.

2. What made you decide to grow your hair?
I've always wanted long princess hair, and thanks to lurking vicariously I found that hair toys were pretty. My friend told me that even I could successfully bun my hair one day, and I laughed at her, but jokes on me she was right.

3. Do you enjoy the process of growing your hair out?
I enjoy the good days when I'm having success (can put my hair up without pain and use my pretty toys). I am weathering the rest with patience because this is really the best option.

4. If you had to make a wild guess, where do you think you'll find your hair's "sweet spot"? Have you had that length in the past?
My journey so far has been a wildly switch-backing mountain road, so I haven't yet gotten past waist. (Typical "long hair" pre-LHC was probably in the APL to BSL range, and likely closer to APL.) I know my sweet spot is definitely not waist or above. Classic maybe??? At that point it'd probably be long enough that I could cut in a lot of taper to help me out....

5. Are you more interested in gaining length, or gaining thickness? Or are you just "meh" about your hair?
Length! I'm too blessed with thickness, I need lots of length to get a comfy length-to-thickness ratio.

6. Do you trim your hair?
I chop drastically rather than trim, and haven't since whacking the canopy to the same length as the undercut last May, when the undercut was getting to APL. I am also blessed with having to deliberately strategize to get fairy-tailing rather than having to trim to keep blunt ends, so I have a lot of incentive to resist trimming.

7. Has your routine changed since you've been on LHC?
I decided to abruptly start water-only at the same time I stopped trimming the pixie because why not, which didn't work because of our water, and have experimented now and again as the fancy strikes me. My hair will honestly probably tolerate whatever, it's trying to find the ideal for my skin that's the real motivator.

8. Do you consider your hair to be a big part of who you are?

9. Does taking care of your hair make you happy, or is it more of a chore?
If I had to take care of it in a society-approved way, it would be an impossible chore. Finding a comfy sleep braid, stretching washes, and being too tired to care if my hair looks "correct" makes it a manageable chore. Wait, does buying too many hair sticks to treat myself count as taking care of one's hair?? Because if yes, then taking care of my hair makes me very happy.

10. Do you think you are more likely to eventually land on one length, or try several different ones and change it up?
I expect I'll have a "sweet range," where I'll let it go until it bothers me and then chop it back to whatever milestone is the start of the sweet spot, then ignore it for a while again until I want another chop. I have a tendency to fancy things like going from long straight to pixie or from pixie to "wow I wish my hair was instantly at classic" or "it would be strategic of me to try an undercut", but maybe that impulse will fade once I actually reach a happy spot with my hair, since I probably change things up so drastically because I am unhappy.