Thread: Tailbone-ish+ Curls (growth, care, management)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Tailbone-ish+ Curls (growth, care, management)

Quote Originally Posted by Teide View Post
    Hi! I never ever co-wash! I’m a bit of a “freak” in the curly hair community, so I’m not really a part of it. Wetting my hair and scalp doesn’t work well for me, and it never did in the past, either. My hair absorbs water a lot (it’s probably very porous?) and it feels a nasty type of damp throughout the day and afterwards, too, because it over-saturates with water if it’s wet too often. I only wash it once a week and apply oil every day or every second day from mids to ends, whenever needed . I also never moisturise my hair anymore, and it breaks so much less than before. Water makes the hair more elastic and more fragile, so you don’t even feel when it snaps. Now the only hair I lose is shed hair — the kind that falls out naturally. I also don’t see how moisture (water) makes it grow like crazy. It’s not a plant and therefore the root doesn’t need water. If anything, it needs oil (nutrients)! Kind of like our eyelashes. But I’m glad if water makes your hair grow nicely!

I see how twist-outs would look pretty on your hair. I know what you mean by no curl patterns; some of my hair on top has like a zig zag shape but no real “pattern”, it’s just random.

As for wearing it out daily, it gets tangled like crazy because of the different curl types so that’s a no-go for me, and anything other than two classic braids is too complicated . My hair isn’t as easy to grow as it seems, but I try my best. Not a lot of people understand the struggle of being mixed and that in my case it comes with multiple types of hair and textures which are often incompatible with each other. I can’t take care of my hair in any standard way because of that.

Have a wonderful day!
    Hmmm. Given the oversaturated feeling while/after washing, some protein might help to counteract the sensitivity to moisture and bring your hair to more of a happy medium.

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

My hair is just fine during and after a wash! Just not if It’s constantly wet because then the masks don’t work. Therefore I cannot co-wash “almost every day” like suggested. I’ve done protein treatments but so far I only liked one that’s discontinued. I really like doing flaxseed gel masks, though. My hair feels extremely smooth and soft afterwards, possibly because some of the protein, although according to Google the proteins are too big to penetrate the hair shaft, so I don’t know what to say. Either way, my hair reacts just fine to water as long as I’m not wetting it all the time! So washing it once a week or at most every 4 days works perfectly :P

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

I forgot to mention that I don’t use conditioner to untangle, for that I use hair masks. I only condition my hair at the end of my wash to soften it, but it’s not slippery or thick enough to untangle my hair.