Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tailbone-ish+ Curls (growth, care, management)

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Tailbone-ish+ Curls (growth, care, management)

I forgot to mention that I don’t use conditioner to untangle, for that I use hair masks. I only condition my hair at the end of my wash to soften it, but it’s not slippery or thick enough to untangle my hair.

I have something in between 2c and 3a; it's definitely more spirally than wavy. It's at tailbone, fairly thick, and about a third of the hairs are coarse. They also tend to be straighter. It's just a mixed bag, really. I have layers not to take out weight which they do, but more for the shape I want. I tend to wash once a week because I don't like doing it. I condition wash condition and I just use regular SLS shampoo because it's really my scalp that needs washing. I detangle before (tend to brush out near the end of the week) and my final rinse is upside down to get those roots up; my hair is very heavy. While in the shower I scrunch in some kind of curl cream, then mousse. It's very wet when I do to distribute the product. Major squish. I put in a microfiber towel for a while and then airdry or diffuse.
    I am really lazy about styling. I just wear it down, misting with water to refresh or maybe using some kind of spray. Toward the end of the week I might do a bun. At night it's in a ginormous scrunchie on top of my head. It's like that a few days, then I finger detangle as it is getting more and more straight and decide what to do with it. I work at home so many days I don't even have to look decent. I should do masks and such but I am lazy about it. Cut once a year, I guess. S&D occasionally. Mostly I just leave it alone, hanging there haha. I wear it loose 90% of the time.

I forgot to say on non-wash days I keep it in the scrunchie and put on a somewhat porous bonnet so the shower steam can get in and start to reset the curls. Also, since I work at home I can run a humidifier in that room all day if I want. My skin likes that. Hair does, too, but can get a bit frizzy.

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Your routine sounds quite similar to mine, and your hair is gorgeous so I don’t think I’m on the wrong path, then. Do you use oils in your hair or just the gel or mousse?

Oh, thank you! I rarely put oil on but I have a glycerin/oil spray I use once in a while. I pick products with oils in them. I am a fan of Tresemme Flawless Curls mousse. It has avocado oil in it. There is a 6 oz can and a 15 oz can. I try to pick up the big can when it's like $8 or $9 because it's always the better deal. I don't have a favorite curl cream but I do like the ones geared toward coily hair because they have things like shea butter and coconut oil and such. I am not opposed to silicones, by the way. Bring 'em on 'cause this is cotton candy on my head.

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

My hair is a bit of a chameleon- mix of 2s and 3s, very fine, very floaty, loves to make fairy knots. I’m between tailbone and classic.

I wonder, too, if you would benefit from a little protein - my hair does well when I use a protein-heavy conditioner on the ends about half of the time.

Because of the truly epic tangling potential, I don’t always let my texture out completely and unlike most of my curly/wurly/wavy friends, never detangle wet.

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Girl, I felt that “epic tangling potential” to the core, and I’m laughing out loud right now hahaha. Never heard it like that, but I love it. I also don’t let my texture show completely. I’d rather suppress the curls and keep the length by keeping my hair in two braids and making the curls looser.

I’m truly going to try some protein treatments, but just on my ends like you said, since it doesn’t work well on the rest. Your hair sounds exactly like mine, and I also don’t untangle my hair when wet. Not with a brush, at least. I untangle with my fingers when it’s dry and with oil, and when I’m in the shower I untangle with a mask, also with my fingers, and very gently.

As for fairy knots, I think I found the solution. They’re inevitable, but I find that untangling with my fingers and cutting any knots as soon as I spot them keeps my hair in the best possible shape, as well as keeping them somewhat oily. I also barely have any split ends, since I cut them as soon as I see them. I could be going about my day, but as soon as I see one I pull out my scissors, reducing the formation of bigger knots around them.

Thank you for your advice, I took it to heart

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Oh, that sounds great! I’m more of a natural girlie so I only use natural oils, but I love glycerin soap bars as a shampoo because they clean and leave it shiny and smooth, all at the same time.

Have a fantastic day!

Mine tangles so easily.

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

It’s the price we must all pay for having goddess hair!

Yes it is! I also get fairy knots and I can't for the life of me figure out how a hair does that. The only explanation is fairies.