Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tailbone-ish+ Curls (growth, care, management)

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Tailbone-ish+ Curls (growth, care, management)

Hahaha. Maybe! I think that micro-knots happen when you get a knot in your hair, and sometimes by pulling out the hairs out of it when you untangle it, one hair forms a knot around itself. So the best way to prevent those fairy knots is to prevent knots altogether! That’s why I keep my hair in two braids religiously.

Length
    30,7/37/43
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Adding into the loop
    Now I am tailbonish and curly (3a? After pregnancy and hair growth my texture changed a.little.bit).
    I do a sles free shampoo on a weekly basis and lately I am also combing dry hair before going to bed, always wearing updos and braids , and avoiding creamy leave ins...I was getting insane fighting against tangles. the curly hair routine carried out in the past 5 years is not working anymore 😭

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

I’m looking forward to having 25 posts. Your hair looks gorgeous in your picture! Can’t wait to be able to click on it and see it better

Length
    30,7/37/43
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Thank you Teide...
    I have been offline for a while and I need to update my profile pic and information...at the moment my hair is not as curly as it was in the profile picture, it is much longer though

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

I look forward to it!

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Bu the way, how many years did it take for your hair to become this long?

Length
    30,7/37/43
    Type
    3a/C/iii

The last time I got a significant haircut was in early 2019.
    I was training for a marathon in order to help a no profit organization with fund rasing...I asked for shoulder lenght, mu hairdresser was quite puzzled

Length
    20"/39"/50"
    Type
    4b/4c/F/M/iii

My hair is type 4. I'm not sure a/b/c....a mix probably? My hair, like most, is not one texture throughout. My hair is currently a little past tailbone length.
    I cowash once a week with either colloidal oatmeal mixed with water or a homemade deep conditioner that has Shea butter in it.
    I keep my hair in medium stretched twists and recycle the parts so I just wash and detangle section by section. I used to use shampoo but it just matted my hair. Any kind of soap did the same thing.
    I also do the thing where I just snip knots as I come across them. I however know I'm not getting them all. I have a lot of hair and whenever I tried search and destroy I would be sitting there for hours, get about halfway through and then quit so I stopped LOOKING for knots and now just cut ones I come across on accident.
    I keep my hair coated with some oil or butter all the time to add slip and reduce tangling. It also makes it 100% easier when I detangle.
    I only finger detangle, usually in the shower, because no matter what comb or brush I use it hurts my scalp and breaks my hair, even if I finger detangle first.
    My hair routine is heavily influenced by YouTubers like NaturallyHigh and IndigenousStrandz.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Teide View Post
    This thread is for naturally curly hair only. Particularly to discuss tailbone length or longer curly hair, how it’s possible, its maintenance, etc., and if you (or anyone you’ve met) has it and what your/her story was; how long it took to become that long, how often to trim…

I’ve seen some ladies with classic length curly hair on some social media apps, but never encountered one in real life.

My situation/story:
    My hair length right now is at MBL (mid back length) when stretching it out (it has some severe shrinkage lol) but only reaches bra strap/below shoulder length in its natural state. My goal is to reach classic length or beyond. I started grooming it properly in November when it was underarm length when stretched.

I was told by a curly hairstylist a year ago that I’d never be able to have long hair (I didn’t even specify what length, I just said “long hair”) when, when I was 12, it was twice as long than when I had my appointment. True, my hair texture changed from 100% European to a 1:1 European to African ratio (multiple hair types, I’m biracial), but that doesn’t mean that it’s impossible.

My hair right now is the healthiest it’s ever been, and I know what routine works for me. I try to wash it once a week and only do it sooner when my scalp is in a bad state and very itchy. I keep it in two braids because they’re easy to take out and I don’t like American hairstyles, and usually the ends are tucked in. I henna my hair occasionally and use natural products most of the time, the only exception being the hair mask I use for untangling it and sometimes the Babaria onion shampoo. I usually use glycerin soap and it works wonders for my hair.

As for trimming, I only cut the split ends/micro-knots when I spot them or during my sporadic Search-and-Destroy or Chop-and-Drop sprees. There’s really no point to cutting hair that doesn’t need to be cut.

I also use olive oil, and sometimes coconut oil or roasted walnut oil. Roasted walnut oil tends to smell like a dirty scalp after a few days so I don’t recommend it for daily use, only pre-shampoo. I’ve also tried homemade ghee (and butter), but again, I only leave it on my hair for a short period of time.

Let me know what your hair routine looks like! Your hair doesn’t have to be tailbone length, but it should be somewhere between MBL and TBL, at least.
    Hi there! Here is my story:
    I have a girlfriend that I met in high school that had tailbone length curly hair, and it was the most gorgeous and healthiest hair I had ever seen! She had went through a whole school year after we met with her tailbone length curly hair, and during her graduating year she came to school with it chemically straightened or relaxed! I was in total shock! And, she had it trimmed up to BCL! But it was still gorgeous and very healthy though! Today, I don't know if she still has all of that hair or not. I am hoping so that she still does!
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Thank you for your input! I can wholly relate to shampoo matting your hair; the only exception I found is glycerin soap. I’ll definitely check out Naturally High (I’m already following Indigenous Strandz!). Your username is lovely, by the way.