Thread: Anyone here use silicones and have good long-term results?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    16/25/46
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Anyone here use silicones and have good long-term results?

I have been off silicones mostly for the last 4 years at least. I would like to experiment more with products containing cones at some point. It is just hard to get past that mental picture in my mind that says the more "natural" the product is the better. Right now my hair is only at APL so tangles for me are not an issue, however, when my hair used to be longer (waist and hip length) I really started having problems with lots more tangles and I wonder if I had used a product with silicones if it would have helped a lot more and actually protected my ends from mechanical damage from all the tangles. I'm interested if others have had the same sort of dilemma as well when experimenting with different products.

Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Marie View Post
    I have been off silicones mostly for the last 4 years at least. I would like to experiment more with products containing cones at some point. It is just hard to get past that mental picture in my mind that says the more "natural" the product is the better. Right now my hair is only at APL so tangles for me are not an issue, however, when my hair used to be longer (waist and hip length) I really started having problems with lots more tangles and I wonder if I had used a product with silicones if it would have helped a lot more and actually protected my ends from mechanical damage from all the tangles. I'm interested if others have had the same sort of dilemma as well when experimenting with different products.
    Try this: List as many natural substances as you can that you wouldn't want to put in your hair. I'll start: hydrochloric acid.

My current shampoo and conditioner (which I've been using for over a year) have silicones, and they really help with keeping my hair from tangling. They also prevent dandruff, but I think that's the tea tree oil.

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Marie View Post
    I started experiencing "tangling"at about same length . Silicones help, BTMS (a non silicone, an actual hair "conditioner") definitely helps but as my hair has gotten longer, I've given up silicones, BTMS, etc, not because they are "bad" but because I really don't need them. I've resolved my tangling issues by technique rather than product. Fortunately for me, hair grows slowly enough that it's not all dumped in the lap at once so there's plenty of time to learn as you grow
    Last edited by foreveryours; September 1st, 2023 at 09:56 AM.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+