Thread: Hello! Historical Hair Growth Challenge

Default Hello! Historical Hair Growth Challenge

I'm here because of Katherine Sewing's youtube videos on historical hair care. She is currently doing a historical hair growth challenge this month and I am going to give natural hair care a go. I did a big chop July 23 donating 16 inches to wigs for kids. I was 4 months postpartum and the dreaded hair loss was starting so I made an emotional decision lol I enjoyed the shoulder length hair for about 24hrs and then decided I am not a short haired girl. I had hopes to to try 1940s styles. I'm a wavy haired girl and just adore vintage waves. However, I have thick hair and no time or patience to really to set my hair in rollers. I often wonder if that kind of styling may cause damage to hair in the long run. Anyway, So I am back on my hair growth journey. Id like to get back to classical at the least and see how long I can go maybe knee length. I came across Katherine's videos detailing her natural hair care routine. I never heard of Clay washing and apple cider vinegar rinses. It's so fascinating to learn about how women past generations cared for their hair. I'm excited to be more active online here and learn all I can to grow long and healthy hair.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Default Re: Hello! Historical Hair Growth Challenge

Hello, and welcome! There's definitely so much to learn here!
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome! There are some threads on different historical subject such as hair care and hairstyles on the forum

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Welcome to the forum. You might like looking at a member's grandmother's recipes and haircare. I've always loved going over that thread here.

Historical hair care is so interesting although I'm pretty sure my hair would hate not having conditioner. But, I try to incorporate what works for me like stretching washes and using a finer comb to get out gunk. Have you seen any of Longhaired Flapper's recipes or Snappy Dragon's historical hair experiments (both on YouTube). I recommend them.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you! I don't think I've seen much discussion on here about the level of damage people notice from using rollers, but I've used cold rollers in the past without noticeable breakage. My complaints have more to do with the time needed to put them in, as you mention, as well as how uncomfortable they are to sleep in compared to e.g. rag curls.

Quote Originally Posted by ETJ CURLS View Post
    Hello, and welcome! There's definitely so much to learn here!
    Thank you! I'm already learning so much here!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You might like looking at a member's grandmother's recipes and haircare. I've always loved going over that thread here.

Historical hair care is so interesting although I'm pretty sure my hair would hate not having conditioner. But, I try to incorporate what works for me like stretching washes and using a finer comb to get out gunk. Have you seen any of Longhaired Flapper's recipes or Snappy Dragon's historical hair experiments (both on YouTube). I recommend them.
    I briefly looked at it and can't wait to dive in. I'm fascinated by all things historical and actually just finished watching one of Snappy Dragon's videos. I will have to check out Long-haired Flappers channel too. Thanks for the recommendations. I have finer to medium hair that tends to be more on the oily side. I tried a clay wash and acv rinse this weekend. Suffice to say my hair felt so weighed down and not clean I caved and had to wash and condition my hair last night lol I'm thinking my technique was off and am willing to give it a try again. Katherine does mention a natural conditioner brand she recommends for those who still like to use it. I realize it's not one size fits all. Cheers to the journey of incorporating practices of the past that work for us!

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Howdy, good to meet you! I don't think I've seen much discussion on here about the level of damage people notice from using rollers, but I've used cold rollers in the past without noticeable breakage. My complaints have more to do with the time needed to put them in, as you mention, as well as how uncomfortable they are to sleep in compared to e.g. rag curls.
    Nice to meet you too! I find them uncomfortable to sleep in too the few times I managed to set my hair.
    I recently bought pillow rollers to see if they are more comfortable. We shall see. When I had super long hair I would put my hair in braids slightly damp and loved the waves I was able to achieve. I'm thinking ribbon/robe curls may be more comfortable and achieve similar results.