Thread: Hello! I'm new and I'm growing out my pixie (again)

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Post Hello! I'm new and I'm growing out my pixie (again)

Hello, all! As the title (and my username) suggests, I've had a pixie for a long while. I've tried growing it out countless times, but I always give up right around the time it gets to my chin. But something has shifted and the pixie cut doesn't feel as much like me as it used to. So now I'm making a real effort to grow it out and deal with all the struggles that comes with that. My goal length for now, is APL. Which is a length it hasn't been for over 20 years.

I've been at it for seven months, so it's still very short. My face is quite long and so is my neck, so it takes awhile to get to a proper bob, then to the shoulder. Almost all the layers cover my ears at this point, so it's very close to being a proper short bob vs a grown-out pixie nightmare.

My hair is fine, but medium density (I've had former stylists say that it's thick, but I think only in certain parts). A combination of 2A/2B waves. Not dyed - it's dark brown with a little bit of tinsel. Tends to run dry, but I also struggle with it feeling greasy/waxy. Low porosity so it takes a million years to dry. I don't use heat tools, rarely blow-dry it and try not to wash it too often. I'm open to trying new things to see what works, though.

Everyone here seems to have such great wisdom and genuine love for longer locks and growing them. I'm excited for this forum to be a part of my hopefully successful journey to finally grow out my pixie cut. <3

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hello! I'm new and I'm growing out my pixie (again)

Welcome!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hang in there. Maybe you just needed to feel ready for the change
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I had a pixie cut for a few years, and loved it. I took the same route as you, I grew it to an ear length bob first. I can understand why you’ve given up at chin in the past - when you’re not used to having so much hair getting in your face, but it’s not long enough to put up yet, it gets really annoying. I found chin to shoulder the hardest part, because I have a long face and neck and it felt like my hair was hovering in a weird place for ages. Once it got to shoulder though it was much easier.

Hang on in there, APL is a lovely length, it’s worth waiting for

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, glad to have you here!

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thank you for the encouragement! It really is trying when it's not behaving, stuck in my face and too short to put up. Last time I grew it out I made it to mid-neck before throwing in the towel. Hopefully this time I grow it long enough to put up, so I can make it to APL and maybe beyond.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

You can do it! You may be interested in joining the Buzz | Ear | Chin thread to get you through the awkward stage!
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    Pixie/BCL/Class
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Welcome! I'm a fellow ex-pixie who's been growing for around six years. Stick around and you're in for an awesome adventure!

Do you have a plan for getting around the awkward phase? Sometimes it can't be helped but at one point in my journey, it turned into a fluffy, layered bob which was a super cute look. Finding something similar that works for you could do wonders for morale during that period
    Oh sing me a song of the sea,
    Selkie, siren, sisters thee.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ETJ CURLS View Post
    You can do it! You may be interested in joining the Buzz | Ear | Chin thread to get you through the awkward stage!
    Ooo, thank you! It's nice to see all the folks with their beautiful long manes, but it might be good to have the moral support of people whose hair is still short AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelp View Post
    Welcome! I'm a fellow ex-pixie who's been growing for around six years. Stick around and you're in for an awesome adventure!

Do you have a plan for getting around the awkward phase? Sometimes it can't be helped but at one point in my journey, it turned into a fluffy, layered bob which was a super cute look. Finding something similar that works for you could do wonders for morale during that period
    Hello, fellow ex-pixie! It's a few months from a bob and I have enough length to put half of it up into a stubby pony, so I have some options at this point! In the past I've been very reluctant to blow dry my hair which has seriously impeded my progress - my hair actually seems to do better with a little blow drying because it takes so long to air dry. So opening up that option (low/cool, after its towel dried for a little while) is making it easier. I may also get a few nice hair clips for pulling it half back.