Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair care with only one arm? Do I have to cut it?

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Default Hair care with only one arm? Do I have to cut it?

I'm having shoulder surgery on Monday and my right arm (dominant arm) will be immobile in a sling for 6 weeks, followed by another 6 months of PT. I won't be able to straighten my arm, lift it above my head, all the things you would need to do to wash your hair or put it up.. for quite awhile. My hair is between hip and tailbone length. I can go 3-4 weeks between washes but I don't think I can go longer than that.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation with long hair? How did you wash your hair? How did you put it up? I'm worried about doing a lot of everyday things but the hair part is what I'm most worried about. I'm worried I'm going to have to cut my hair short.

Also: I have an 8 month old and a 3.5yo toddler so I don't have a lot of free time either. i.e. I can't just let it air dry for hours or take an hour to watch it.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Hair care with only one arm? Do I have to cut it?

Do a search here for "one arm". There are a number of threads.

Best of luck, I cannot imagine this with 2 little kids. I hope you have friends who will help you.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    12/28.35/40
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I broke my arm twice, I didn't cut my hair off. Tangle teezers and other detangling brushes help me a lot during the recovery. Used to brush my hair once in the morning and once at night, my hair wasn't tied during the day, sometimes I used a hairclip to fix the front part out my face. Washing was a little hard for me because of aplying shampoo (hot water helps with sebum, but dries your lenght and can damage your scalp), but I would have to do it if my hair was short anyway. Conditioner was easy, I like the slippery ones. For styling, only a hair oil was enough (my hair was natural). Using a hair oil everytime I brush my hair was simple and fast, so I didn't need complicated treatments. I live in a tropical country, even in the winter (10 to 15ºC) I used to let it dry 80% naturally after using a hair dryer.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Good luck with your surgery

Can you get someone - anyone, partner, relative, friend, neighbor - to help you on wash days, since you do those not so often?

I had a broken arm. Of course, I was incapacitated for only a shorter period of time, but I was able to wrap my encased arm in plastic, get into the shower and wash my hair with just one arm, no problem. And I washed every 2-3 days back then. My hair is fine and thin, I don´t have a lot of it, so it wasn´t really difficult.

If you want my advice, do not cut. I would regret losing that much length for a temporary situation. If it was to make a difference, you could trim back to waist - just a little shorter, but only if it really made a difference in shorter wash time/faster drying, otherwise I wouldn´t.

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I wouldn't cut it. Could you wash over a sink or tub with a handheld sprayer and maybe try CO washing? I think one of our members had rotator cuff surgery awhile back. Enlist the help of your 3.5 yr old with simple tasks whether it's for the baby or you. Good luck for a speedy recovery.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I survived shoulder surgery and rehab with hair about your length. Pre surgery I put it in two french braids and hair taped it in a coronet style. I kept it for about 4 weeks. Then I one arm washed it and had someone else comb it out and braid it again. My niece braided it and helped me sew in the coronet for another 3-4 weeks.

Good luck!

Length
    CBL/BSL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

The youtuber Manes by Mell broke her arm (or hand?) a little while ago, and the main things I remember her mentioning were: a shampoo brush, pump bottles for products, and a stand for her hair dryer.

I also wouldn't cut it, especially because worst case scenario you can get it cut halfway through your recovery. I think most likely it'll be a real pain but work out just fine

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Do you have a SO? If so, let him help. For instance, pony your hair up top, right, but put the elastic 10 inches off of your scalp, then bun the rest behind the elastic (SO will manage with some elastic bands). Then you can wash over the tub with a handheld showerhead, or in the kitchen sink, you will have the "room" between scalp & elastic band to swish shampoo around in. Put a plastic freezer bag over the bun behind the elastic, tadaa. Easy enough if you have help to band it. This way you yourself can wash your hair, just wet the part between scalp & elastic and go for it. Only wash if you've gone to the limit, so that's 3/4 weeks? Just let it go that far, and then quick-wash like this.

Seconding the videos by "manes by Mel". She did break her arm, videos were scarce during that time, but she did make a few with some pointers, and the stand (microphone stand) for her Dyson was genius. I mean they charge an arm & a leg for a hooded dryer, and this came pretty close! Thought it was so creative!

Anyway, I have no more ideas, but there is a girl on YT that only has one upper limb and she manages to do so many things one-armed. Megan Absten, that's her name, and this is her channel; truly inspiring to me!
    https://www.youtube.com/@meganabsten
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I had elbow surgery and my elbow in a 90 degree angle in a cast for six weeks. And then recovery. I had shorter hair back then, but I never found brushing or washing my hair to be a problem with one arm. I had done it before, when I hurt it. I still washed my hair several times a week back then.

I had my boyfriend put my hair in a ponytail for me back then. If it were to happen now, I still wouldn't cut my hair. I think that with some practice and a hairstick, it should be possible to learn to bun with just one hand. If not, I would probably put my hair in a sleeping cap or a snood.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I think it was Hairkay who perhaps went through this most recently? If I recall correctly, they got by with using mostly long-term protective styles and not futzing with it much until the affected arm was better.