Thread: Hi! I’ve been lurking for years…

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    13/15.5/42
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Hi! I’ve been lurking for years…

Seriously, I think I stumbled on the site the first time in 2013. Of course I tried to do everything and got overwhelmed with all the information, chopped my hair off and promptly forgot all about it. Until 2019 when I decided to “grow my hair long” and lurked around for months. That sounds creepy, I’m trying to put myself out of my comfort zone and participate in the conversation this time haha.

My normal growing pattern previously seemed to be to grow until BSL and get awful ends, chop it to shoulder, rinse and repeat. But that time (2019-2022) I really made an effort, and probably trimmed way too much, and made it to just passed WL (approx 30”)…then I buzzed it off. I swore to myself I’d never do that again. It was very cute but my hair grows pretty fast and going to the hairdresser every 2 months is a bit much for me. I grew it for a year, got Covid and a really bad spider bite, lost half my hair. So, naturally, I buzzed it off again. And here we are with a shag that’s not my favorite with the back at shoulder and front just under jaw and telling myself if I can “just make it past shoulder!” then it’ll be smooth sailing. *fingers crossed*
    My goal now is to grow to tail bone length and hopefully classic after that, just to say I’ve had it there. If I shave it after that I give up.

Does anyone else have trouble with the hair measuring here? From my understanding it’s from the front hairline down the back of the head. And I can see that being more accurate later, but it felt really weird saying I started at 13” long when I was using a 1/4” guard on the clippers. 😆

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hi! I’ve been lurking for years…

LOL, in the Long Hair community, everybody gets an extra foot! Helps braggin' rights
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Welcome!

I just go by milestones (APL, MBL, WL, etc.), since it's too much work to actually measure it with a tape measure. I never get so annoyed with my hair that I chop it off, since I know from experience that I'll regret it. Luckily, I have many different fandoms to distract me if I ever get the urge, and I've lost my hair to chemo, so that's a good reminder not to do anything I'll regret, since I got so sick of the "Oh, you look so cute with short hair!" comments when I was growing it back (it took three years to get back to my former length). I don't care how "cute" it looks, I prefer my hair long, and I intend to keep it that way (no matter how old I get. Screw the "age appropriate" hairstyles).
    Last edited by Lady Winchester; May 16th, 2024 at 03:40 PM.
    Keeper of the Royal Order of Playful Kitties
    No trimming 2024: 11 January - 30 June
    APL - ​MBL - WL

Length
    13/15.5/42
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    LOL, in the Long Hair community, everybody gets an extra foot! Helps braggin' rights
    Ah, right. Every inch counts lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Winchester View Post
    I don't care how "cute" it looks, I prefer my hair long, and I intend to keep it that way (no matter how old I get. Screw the "age appropriate" hairstyles).
    I can understand that. Last time my hair was long I was still in my 20’s. Now when I tell people I want to grow past BSL I get looked at like I’m a crazy person. Not to mention when I start talking about scalp oil and hair sticks.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome!

Today I measure that way, but when my hair was less than a centimeter, I did not measure it the LHC way. So I say that I started with less than a cm.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/HL/Class
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you! That spider bite sounds scary. My grandfather had a bad experience with a recluse, but he was already bald by then ( ; Good luck!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Hairloss is so annoying and it can be scary. Welcome and happy growing.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!