Results 2,401 to 2,407 of 2407

Thread: Waist | Hip

Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: waist to hip

Quote Originally Posted by mochichichi View Post
    Lost track of this, thanks to folks for getting back to it and the KNIT reminder. I'm past waist now, but aside from the weird "no you'll love it!" stuff with stylists, even with stylists I trust and liked, I realized around hip that I had been getting yearly trims and blindly trusting the amount that needed trimming. I've come to terms over the last year or so that without those yearly 3-4" trims I would probably be well on my way to knee by now. But my hemline is beautiful, I enjoy my hair and its health, and now I'm taking on learning to trim it myself to avoid the extraneous loss of growth in the future.
    mochichichi, I just took a look at your photos after your nice message in the other thread, and your hemline is out of this world! It sounds like you've been (unintentionally) maintaining at hip long enough to maximise its bluntness and thickness, which puts you in a great position for growing!
    Images in old threads not showing up? Try the image fixer browser extension.

Length
    Chin/43.5/Blunt
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by barnet_fair;[URL="tel:3992327"
    3992327[/URL]]mochichichi, I just took a look at your photos after your nice message in the other thread, and your hemline is out of this world! It sounds like you've been (unintentionally) maintaining at hip long enough to maximise its bluntness and thickness, which puts you in a great position for growing!
    Hi! Thank you for the kind comment ☺️☺️
    I knew when I started growing I wanted a blunt hemline, so maintaining it has been important to me on my growth journey. I think I definitely could have lost less length and still had the hemline I want, but ultimately I'm very happy with my hair and have been at all stages.
    Chin~Shoulder~APL~Midback~Waist~Hip~TB~CL~[FTL]~MT~Knee~Knee+
    Pursuing my Princess Hair ♕

Length
    2"/TBL/???
    Type
    4c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Vara La Fey View Post
    No. I told the truth and I'm going to quintuple-down on it.

1. "Personal experience with a stylist or two"?? In fact, this over-cutting scenario keeps coming up over and over again with users on here. In my own experience it has been the rule almost without exception. It has been going on since the mid-80s at least. And since I decided to ignore all "advice" I've ever received from stylists, and replaced it with my own research and with the advice from LHCers, my hair is longer, healthier and looks better than it ever has in my life.

2. I was wrong to say that "most" stylists are sociopaths, because much more accurately most stylists are trained to follow a sociopathic sales plan, and for whatever reason they do it with gusto.
    a) They sabotage their customers' explicit wishes and overall trust just to make more money for the salon - and if that's not sociopathic, you tell us what is.
    b) I have been told, and I believe it, that they are trained to over-cut "so that the customer feels they got their money's worth" - if this is false, then you tell us why they consistently do overcut.
    c) They routinely violate reality by hard-selling their customers into constant and completely unnecessary 6-week trims where they will continue to over-cut - if this isn't sociopathic, then you tell us why we need that trimming schedule.
    d) They try to sell customers only on products whose sole defining characteristic is that their bosses made business deals with the distributors - if that isn't sociopathic sales tactic, then tell us why it isn't.
    And I ask again: what other business can routinely violate customers' trust in so many ways and expect to get away with it?

3. Most stylists are under-trained and thus ignorant - if you want to glaze their eyes over, mention anagen, telegen or exogen. Even when I was keeping my hair short, I literally used to ask stylists anagen questions just for entertainment. All such ignorant stylists do not care to educate themselves beyond the minimum training required to get their license, and clearly much or most of their training is on sales rather than on hair. Wanna test this? See how many can pitch you on the latest Nexxus or Aveda crap their bosses sell, versus how many can tell you what a volatile or a water-soluble silicone is. I wonder how many keep an ingredients list on their phones so they can look up such things when asked.

4. Stylists are self-proclaimed hair "professionals", but the actual experts are here on LHC and/or are social media influencers like Sarah Ingle. These are experts with hair down to their knees, experts who routinely have no-trim challenges and who normally trim maybe twice a year without the challenges. They are experts who read science papers and educate themselves _without_ being paid for it. And they're experts who in general seem to follow little if any "advice" meted out by stylists. Poll them about this if you want.

5. On the very rare occasions someone finds a stylist who is competent and honest, keep going to that person. But I repeat that in the vast majority of cases you're better off avoiding all stylists you don't already trust. And I repeat this as well: if you need a stylist for a trim you can't DIY, try to find one who has hair like the hair you want. Then let them know if they take off more than whatever you ask, you will walk out without paying them. That's how I will play it in a year or two when I need a shaping trim that I can't do on my own.

Stylists are generally good for coloring and highlighting, and they're good for helping customers choose and maintain a short/medium length style. Those are important things to many people, and no question they're the bread and butter of salons everywhere. But these things do not invalidate what I've said in any way, shape or form.

Rant over, but rant mode on standby....
    Thank you for the great advice you've given: "try to find one who has hair like the hair you want."
    My general policy with stylists is to avoid them like the plague. I haven't gone to one in a decade. I wouldn't even go to a stylist on my wedding day. I don't want ruined hair as a wedding gift. Yes I would actually do own my hair, for every single occasion, without exception. But I think your advice is the best tool for locating a stylist, if I really, really have no choice!
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    MBL :: WAIST :: abyss :: hip:: TBL :: class
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mochichichi View Post
    Ahhh, okay. I can definitely see how that would stall you for sure. A couple inches every 3 is the majority of your growth. Is your hair able to stand up to trimming less often? 6 months maybe? Around waist I was also trimming more, and it's also where I decided to lop off the bottom 6 inches or something where my layers used to be. I was stuck at waist for ages. And yes! My hemline is blunt. Now the primary purpose of me getting trims is to even it out so it lays flat-ish and isn't so lopsided.
    It's mostly because I'm getting married in two weeks, and want to make the ends look neat. I usually get a "dusting" every three months because there isn't much damage. The lady just got a little scissor happy, and did a lot of "*sigh* I hate doing long hair"
    I'm planning on avoiding trims until December and do twice a year after.
    Find me at the beach or springs wishing I was a mermaid
    SL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL - CLASSIC - FTP - KNEE

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by barnet_fair View Post
    mochichichi, I just took a look at your photos after your nice message in the other thread, and your hemline is out of this world! It sounds like you've been (unintentionally) maintaining at hip long enough to maximise its bluntness and thickness, which puts you in a great position for growing!
    Agreed! Mochichichi has such an amazing hemline! I think it's one of the best blunt hems I've ever seen. The color is so pretty too.

Length
    Chin/43.5/Blunt
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by floridaorchid View Post
    It's mostly because I'm getting married in two weeks, and want to make the ends look neat. I usually get a "dusting" every three months because there isn't much damage. The lady just got a little scissor happy, and did a lot of "*sigh* I hate doing long hair"
    I'm planning on avoiding trims until December and do twice a year after.
    Ahhh that's so annoying!! Well, if nothing else your ends must be super neat now. Happy growing!!

Quote Originally Posted by floridaorchid View Post
    Agreed! Mochichichi has such an amazing hemline! I think it's one of the best blunt hems I've ever seen. The color is so pretty too.
    Thank you!!!
    Chin~Shoulder~APL~Midback~Waist~Hip~TB~CL~[FTL]~MT~Knee~Knee+
    Pursuing my Princess Hair ♕

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Ended up not needing a trim! Excited to measure in next week