Page 10 of 93 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Length
    25.5/25.5/30
    Type
    2c/C/ii

Default Re: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Hi EagleFeather71,

Thank you for sharing with us. Your first experiment was wonderful. Can you tell me what the measurement was of your four dried hibiscus flowers - was it, for example, two teaspoons. Just wondering.

Also, on your second experiment, I wonder if you'd get the same results if you omitted the greek yoghurt? I'd be curious to find out if the shine was mostly due to your herbs and whether the yoghurt made that much of a difference.

Cheers,

Pura7

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pura7 View Post
    Hi EagleFeather71,

Thank you for sharing with us. Your first experiment was wonderful. Can you tell me what the measurement was of your four dried hibiscus flowers - was it, for example, two teaspoons. Just wondering.
    It's hard to say what the measurement was because when I buy the flowers they are still whole but all dried up. Hmm... if I crushed them and put all 4 on a spoon it would probably be about a Tablespoon but that is just a guess.

Also, on your second experiment, I wonder if you'd get the same results if you omitted the greek yoghurt? I'd be curious to find out if the shine was mostly due to your herbs and whether the yoghurt made that much of a difference.
    I used the yogurt because that is used as a base in many henna and/or cassia glosses. Others also use conditioner in it's place. I don't use conditioner and much prefer the "Foody" ingredients when I make a mix myself. I don't know if the yogurt helped with the shine, but I think it did do something for the texture/thickness of my hair because what ever it did is fading with subsequent washes. My hair still feels like satin when I touch it, but the thickness is fading a bit. I hope that makes sense.
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

An issue I have been dealing with lately is Scalp Pimples. I had this same problem when I used to do vinegar rinses. I haven't figured it out yet. One theory is that my overnight oilings are clogging the pores of my scalp, so to overcome this idea, my next few heavy oilings will be a bit lighter, and will be left on my scalp for only a few hours before washing. I am also going to be using the Soapnut Washing Method that Mellie wrote an article about for the next couple weeks. I may get bored with it (as I usually do get bored easily) and add some other herbs here and there, but I'm going to try not to just for a couple weeks to figure out the scalp pimple issue.

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

You who pre oil with Dabur Vatika (coconut based herb oil):
    Does your hair get dry from this? Should it be used on scalp only, and put some pure cocnut oil on ends?

My hair is dry (if not proper taken care of) and it doesn't seam to like pH 4,75 or lower.
    Should I keep the Vatika oil from my lengths and ends?

I have bought Dabur Vatika and Hesh bringraj oil (that included many other herbs too). The bringraj I intend to use on scalp.
    If I get them out of their bottles... I have 16 degrees Celsius in here. It will be "hot" water bath for them, with plastic bag on (to save the labels).

BTW, I found all of the herbs I wanted, besides amla. The store said they will have amla in 2-3 weeks...

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HotRag View Post
    You who pre oil with Dabur Vatika (coconut based herb oil):
    Does your hair get dry from this? Should it be used on scalp only, and put some pure cocnut oil on ends?

My hair is dry (if not proper taken care of) and it doesn't seam to like pH 4,75 or lower.
    Should I keep the Vatika oil from my lengths and ends?

I have bought Dabur Vatika and Hesh bringraj oil (that included many other herbs too). The bringraj I intend to use on scalp.
    If I get them out of their bottles... I have 16 degrees Celsius in here. It will be "hot" water bath for them, with plastic bag on (to save the labels).

BTW, I found all of the herbs I wanted, besides amla. The store said they will have amla in 2-3 weeks...
    The Vatika does not dry my hair out at all. I have not really paid much attention to the PH of the oils I use so I wouldn't know how that would affect my hair.

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefeather71 View Post
    The Vatika does not dry my hair out at all. I have not really paid much attention to the PH of the oils I use so I wouldn't know how that would affect my hair.
    Great.
    Do you have dry, oily or "normal" hair?

I can't measure pH in oils, but it is lemon and other acidic stuff in the Vatika oil.

I will test, and if hair do not like it, I can allways use it on scalp or skin.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Great.
    Do you have dry, oily or "normal" hair?

I can't measure pH in oils, but it is lemon and other acidic stuff in the Vatika oil.

I will test, and if hair do not like it, I can allways use it on scalp or skin.
    I think my hair is "normal" and my scalp is "very sensitive" but also "normal" (not dry or oily)

If anything my scalp is a little sensitive to the acidic ingredients in things like the vatika, I have been having problems with scalp pimples (possibly reactive) and I'm thinking it may be the Vatika. It would make sense that it's the acidic ingredients because the last time I had the scalp pimple reaction I was using Vinegar Rinses. Hmm...something to consider.

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefeather71 View Post
    I think my hair is "normal" and my scalp is "very sensitive" but also "normal" (not dry or oily)

If anything my scalp is a little sensitive to the acidic ingredients in things like the vatika, I have been having problems with scalp pimples (possibly reactive) and I'm thinking it may be the Vatika. It would make sense that it's the acidic ingredients because the last time I had the scalp pimple reaction I was using Vinegar Rinses. Hmm...something to consider.
    Ok, I think I may have sensitive scalp, cause many things itch on it.

I will try slowly to see what happens.

Maybe I should preoil one lenght with Vatika and one with pure coconut, to see if there will be any difference.

But this week (tomorrow) I will start with the Bhringraj on scalp, coconut milk on lengths.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Ok, I think I may have sensitive scalp, cause many things itch on it.

I will try slowly to see what happens.

Maybe I should preoil one lenght with Vatika and one with pure coconut, to see if there will be any difference.

But this week (tomorrow) I will start with the Bhringraj on scalp, coconut milk on lengths.
    I would like to post the ingredients of the 2 oils here for everyone's reference but when I look up the Bhringraj I get a few different kinds. Do you know which one is commonly used by people here at LHC? I'll go ahead and post the Ingredients for the Vatika Oil, and hopefully someone else can post the ingredients for the Bhringraj Oil.

Ingredients:
    Coconut Oil, Neem, Brahmi, Fruit extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar, Kapur Kachri, Henna, Milk, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil, TBHQ, Fragrance.
    For those in the know, what is TBHQ?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii