Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Length
    23"/36.75/54"
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

WOW! What a phenomenal difference! In just two days! I think I may look further into Indian Haircare methods. (By the way, I hope you don't mind my asking this, but, are you of East Indian or North (Native) American descent?
    3c F/M ii/iii 23/32.5/54
    "Love is a rose everblooming,and I water its roots with my tears." SBS

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

another member of the 'soapnuts appreciation society' checking in

Your hair looks like a mirror and I am going to try your formula worked out very well for you. x
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

WOW! What a phenomenal difference! In just two days! I think I may look further into Indian Haircare methods. (By the way, I hope you don't mind my asking this, but, are you of East Indian or North (Native) American descent?
    Thanks so much! I am close to half Cherokee, why do you ask? I've always thought part of my "frizz" was due to indian descent, because I saw it on my mom when her hair was long and straight. But I don't know anyone else that is Indian to find out if it's a common issue, or just a family trait.
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by silkenblacksea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Beautiful!

The traditional method with Indian washing herbs is to pre oil. And the hibiscus gives extra conditioning, along with the amla.

Gorgeous!
    Thanks Ktani! Now the goal is to find the fine balance between pre-oiling, post-Oiling, and conditioning with the herbs. I'm still having a problem with my hair very quickly becoming lank, flat and stringy.

This time around I pre-oiled a little lighter and with the Jasmine Hair Oil. I'll use the same formula but mixed with the soapnut liquid I had made the other day. I just mixed them together last night to simplify storage. I'm going to try to see how it all dries without post oiling this time.

I have a question for others that pre-oil. Do I keep working to find a balance where my hair doesn't get flat and stringy within a day, or do I just get used to my hair being slightly oily, and wear it up more often?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Wow! Very beautiful!

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Hi eaglefeather, I too have been using Indian herbs for about 2 months now. I also do the Vatika pre-oil, and like you, have yet to find the perfect balance between the oil and the herbs. My hair still comes out with the oil in it, but it is so smooth and shiny that I don't really mind. Plus, it soaks in as the days pass. I usually wash my hair once a week. Also, I put a small amount of rice powder into my hair in between washes, it soaks up the excess oil just fine.

Since I am very lazy, my routine is to just mix the herb powder with water to make a paste and I use that for the wash. One of these days, I'll simmer the herbs and strain them and see if I like that better. But either way, this is the best routine for my hair by far!

By the way, I think perhaps you were asked if you were of Indian descent because of your hair. Since these herbs are traditionally used with the beautiful, thick dark Indian hair. My hair is completely the opposite, but they still work great.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lynnala View Post
    Hi eaglefeather, I too have been using Indian herbs for about 2 months now. I also do the Vatika pre-oil, and like you, have yet to find the perfect balance between the oil and the herbs. My hair still comes out with the oil in it, but it is so smooth and shiny that I don't really mind. Plus, it soaks in as the days pass. I usually wash my hair once a week. Also, I put a small amount of rice powder into my hair in between washes, it soaks up the excess oil just fine.

Since I am very lazy, my routine is to just mix the herb powder with water to make a paste and I use that for the wash. One of these days, I'll simmer the herbs and strain them and see if I like that better. But either way, this is the best routine for my hair by far!

By the way, I think perhaps you were asked if you were of Indian descent because of your hair. Since these herbs are traditionally used with the beautiful, thick dark Indian hair. My hair is completely the opposite, but they still work great.
    Thanks for the detailed reply! I love hearing about everyone's routines, because I'm still (after a year) trying to find a routine and stick with it. Do you have issues getting the powders out of your hair doing it that way? Do you end up rinsing forever?

This last time, I pre-oiled with the Jasmine Oil, but didn't post oil while still damp like I usually do, in the hopes of cutting down on the oilyness. But now I have STATIC galore!

Does anyone else notice a lot of static while using Soapnuts or other Indian Herbs? Any natural ways of overcoming it? It's very irritating, especially with bangs and fringe. I have tried using a spray bottle with water and a tad of jasmne oil to see if that helps, which it does but only while still damp. As soon as I brush again I'm full of static. I know it would seem that the brushing is the cause, but I have always been a brusher and the static has only started since using the Soapnuts. Hmm.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Eaglefeather, I do have a bit of frizziness (not static though) when I brush after soapnuts. My hair definitely looks prettier and shinier if I don't brush it out, at least not until it's a few hours later.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Eaglefeather, I do have a bit of frizziness (not static though) when I brush after soapnuts. My hair definitely looks prettier and shinier if I don't brush it out, at least not until it's a few hours later.
    Mine actually gets prettier and shinier when I do brush, but I always wait until its dry before brushing. I haven't had ANY frizz which is exactly why I am loving this so much! My hair tends to have frizz even when it is baby booty soft. Now it is smooth as silk . The static, as irritating as it is, will definetly not be a deal breaker for me, just something to overcome...

I have been blowdrying with cold air a little, I wonder if thats making the static worse? I'll not blowdry at all this next time to see.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Oh yes - I betcha it's the blowdrying!!

Really your hair is looking soooo beautiful!!