Page 4 of 93 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefeather71 View Post
    Tonight the night for me to wash again but with NO blowdrying to see if I can get the static under control...we'll see.
    I ended up not washing till morning and took a headscarf to work with me because it felt like I might not have gotten all the oil out, which was true. I'm sure my hair doesn't mind , but my coworkers probably do, so my hair is hiding in a headscarf. Oh well, I'll rewash this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
    I do mermaid rinse all the time. After henna, indigo or herb hair wash. In fact, I take bath all the time. Not really a shower person. I guess it's my cultural custom that I continue even in the US. I love how it relaxes me!

I hope your no blowdrying will work well for you. I am just so amazed how your hair looks wonderful after this herbal wash!! It's so exciting to see.
    Thanks so much! I am very excited as well, but getting all the oils out has been a challenge. I may try the lemon juice added to see if it will cut the oil better.

Quote Originally Posted by RavennaNight View Post
    Wow! Eaglefeather71 your hair looks much improved with soapnuts! Absolutely gorgeous! Maybe when I *finish everything in the bathroom* I will give them a go!
    Thanks so much, it really is amazing. I had no idea my hair could look this way. When I get my larger stash of soapnuts, maybe I can send you a sample size for you to experiment with , I'll let you know when I get them in, it should be any day now.
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I hear ya on the oil thing - I can't get that stuff out of my hair for the life of me with soapnuts, I had to lather up 7 times with Dairy Whip to get it out!

I think maybe just infinitesmally (sp???) tiny amounts of oil are good, and maybe not on the roots at all?

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    I hear ya on the oil thing - I can't get that stuff out of my hair for the life of me with soapnuts, I had to lather up 7 times with Dairy Whip to get it out!

I think maybe just infinitesmally (sp???) tiny amounts of oil are good, and maybe not on the roots at all?
    I have been able to get it out before, so I'm going to keep trying because I think this is one of the things that is making my hair so soft and shiny. Plus the oil I am using is infused with the Indian Herbs for growth and ultimately that is my goal, the awesome shine is just the icing on the cake for me. It's a good thing I like to wear headscarves because its not so detrimental when I end up with oily hair, I can just cover it up.

I will figure this oil thing out if it kills me ....not really Kill, but you get the picture

Length
    23"/36.75/54"
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

Lightbulb Re: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Thanks so much! I am close to half Cherokee, why do you ask? I've always thought part of my "frizz" was due to indian descent, because I saw it on my mom when her hair was long and straight. But I don't know anyone else that is Indian to find out if it's a common issue, or just a family trait.
    Oh my goodness! The frizz question is why I asked. My frizz that is, as well as the "common issue" question. I am of Cherokee heritage as well, and was wondering whether it had anything to do with my strange Texture. My hair tends to be frizzy even when relatively straight(2c/3a when handled). I had always wondered if your heritage was Native American.( though your name was a big clue )
    Anyway, when I saw the wonderful effects of your soapnuts & coconut oil treatment, I said, "that's it!, thats what I need!" Also, something in the way your hair sits and hangs looks like mine when I used to straighten it. I hope my rambling post answers your question. And thanks for answering mine!
    3c F/M ii/iii 23/32.5/54
    "Love is a rose everblooming,and I water its roots with my tears." SBS

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by silkenblacksea View Post
    Oh my goodness! The frizz question is why I asked. My frizz that is, as well as the "common issue" question. I am of Cherokee heritage as well, and was wondering whether it had anything to do with my strange Texture. My hair tends to be frizzy even when relatively straight(2c/3a when handled). I had always wondered if your heritage was Native American.( though your name was a big clue )
    Anyway, when I saw the wonderful effects of your soapnuts & coconut oil treatment, I said, "that's it!, thats what I need!" Also, something in the way your hair sits and hangs looks like mine when I used to straighten it. I hope my rambling post answers your question. And thanks for answering mine!
    I'm so glad to finally hear that it may infact be my heritage that is the cause of the strange hair frizz issue. My hair can be as soft as a baby bottom, but still be frizzy. I really hope your able to try the indian herbs and oils! Please keep us posted on the results if you do.

Length
    23"/36.75/54"
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

I'm so glad to finally hear that it may infact be my heritage that is the cause of the strange hair frizz issue. My hair can be as soft as a baby bottom, but still be frizzy. I really hope your able to try the indian herbs and oils! Please keep us posted on the results if you do.
    I certainly will! Where do you order your oils and herbs? I intend to start investigating tonight!
    (Ditto on the soft-yet-frizzy issue. )

Thank you for starting this thread!
    3c F/M ii/iii 23/32.5/54
    "Love is a rose everblooming,and I water its roots with my tears." SBS

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by silkenblacksea View Post
    I certainly will! Where do you order your oils and herbs? I intend to start investigating tonight!
    (Ditto on the soft-yet-frizzy issue. )

Thank you for starting this thread!
    http://www.buysoapnuts.com/store.html#anchor_118

For whole soapnuts

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_powders.htm

for powders and oils

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

So I got home and did a VERY quick wash with the same solution and off to a meeting I went. OMG! I started breaking out in crazy bumps all around my temples on my scalp! And on top of that I still didn't get all the oil out, and I had dandruf everywhere and static galore, so...after the meeting I decided to try it with just the powders mixed with a little water to make a paste. I was so worried about not being able to get the perticles out, but I was determined to get the oil out this time!

I mixed the following, which actually ended up being enough for 2-3 applications:

1 Tb Aritha Powder
    1 Tb Shikakai Powder
    1/2 Tb Neem Powder (for my scalp issues)

I think I'm in love! My hair is even better then my after picture! So soft, smooth, full of body, and very shiny.

So, I wonder what freaked my scalp out so bad (instant dandruff, bumps on each side of my scalp that showed up in a matter of minutes) weird. I'll really have to keep an eye on which powders and oils I use to see what I'm so sensitive to.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Eaglefeather, so sorry about the scalp weirdness! I haven't had anything like that happen.
    Just wanted to add here that I think the point of pre-oiling is that you DON'T want to wash all of the oil out. What I find is that my hair looks oily right after I wash it with the herbs, but I just pretend that I've used "product" in my hair and that it's supposed to look that way! By the third day, most of the oil has soaked in, but if it's really bugging me, I powder my hair with rice powder, which soaks it up. I've ordered some Orris root powder to see if I like that better. It supposedly has a nice scent.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lynnala View Post
    Eaglefeather, so sorry about the scalp weirdness! I haven't had anything like that happen.
    Just wanted to add here that I think the point of pre-oiling is that you DON'T want to wash all of the oil out. What I find is that my hair looks oily right after I wash it with the herbs, but I just pretend that I've used "product" in my hair and that it's supposed to look that way! By the third day, most of the oil has soaked in, but if it's really bugging me, I powder my hair with rice powder, which soaks it up. I've ordered some Orris root powder to see if I like that better. It supposedly has a nice scent.
    I'm ok with some oil being left behind for sheen, but I was flat lank and stringy...eew. I have a ljar of orris root mixed with corn startch and it works great to dry out the scalp oils, but my hair is so dark it really looks weird. The last time I used it, I remembered that I could use cheese cloth on my BBB to get it out, but I couldn't find any cheesecloth in my house so I looked kinda ghosty for a day before I washed again. The orris root I have has a slight , mild curry smell. At least that's what I think of when I smell it.