Page 91 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 LastLast

Thread: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I used a mixture of shikakai and amla in a paste for to wash my hair the other day and my hair was awesome afterwards. The only thing is, like when I henna, I has to use a ton of conditioner to get it all out. Any tips for this?

I use Hesh Heenara Hair Wash Powder, and I love it. (Your mixture of shikakai and amla would be similar.) The trick for me is to use about one or maybe two teaspoons of the powder dumped into a large, plastic bottle. (I also add about a teaspoon of methi powder {turmeric}, as this is supposed to help condition the hair.) Then I add about 3/4 cup hot water, shake it all up very well, then add about a quart of warm water, and shake it again very well. Then I pour ALL of this over my hair, about a cup or so at a time, gently washing it onto my scalp and through my hair for only about a minute. Then I rinse it all out, and end with a final rinse of about a quart of cold water into which I have shaken a teaspoon of citric acid powder. This I don't rinse at all.

In using such a large volume of water, I avoid the problem of the powder being hard to rinse out, as my solution is more like very muddy water, not a paste at all. Years ago I tried the recommended method (making a paste of the herbs), and just hated it. But now that I do it my watery way, this is my favorite hair wash method. It leaves my hair clean, shiny and soft. Maybe this method would work for you too.
    When you say methi is turmeric are you sure you don't mean that it's fenugreek? I'm a big fan of powdered fenugreek seeds as a hair mask.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    waist/TB/long

When you say methi is turmeric are you sure you don't mean that it's fenugreek? I'm a big fan of powdered fenugreek seeds as a hair mask.

You are right of course. When I wrote my message, I was too lazy to go look in the closet at the package to check it, even though I thought to myself, "Turmeric? Is that right?"

I'll try to edit my original answer.

Do you all know if it's possible to leave these Indian oils (really any oil, I suppose) on scalp too long? I applied a bunch to my scalp earlier today (Friday) and was speculating on leaving it all weekend and not washing until Sunday night. Is this something liable to cause problems?

I'm using Ramtirth Brahmi today, but I mix it up. I had some wonderful red oil (Ramtirth Brahmi is green) that had a cooling effect. Loved it and need to get some more of it when I finish some of these others.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneH View Post
    Do you all know if it's possible to leave these Indian oils (really any oil, I suppose) on scalp too long? I applied a bunch to my scalp earlier today (Friday) and was speculating on leaving it all weekend and not washing until Sunday night. Is this something liable to cause problems?

I'm using Ramtirth Brahmi today, but I mix it up. I had some wonderful red oil (Ramtirth Brahmi is green) that had a cooling effect. Loved it and need to get some more of it when I finish some of these others.
    I leave oils on my scalp for a few days. With Ramtirth my scalp is fine and I find adding more oil helps keep my scalp nice. I expect the best way to find out is to try it, if your scalp acts up then you can just wash it off but if you find scalp oiling generally works for you then I would imagine you'll be ok.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    SL/52.25/48
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I think I'm going to try grinding up some flaxseeds and adding it to my shikakai/amla wash next time.
    TBL 37.5" ~ Classic 42" ~ Thigh 48" ~ Knee 52"
    WCC ~ LOC

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Interesting! Should give you some nice slip. I use methi/fenugreek in my Indian herb wash mix for this purpose and find it very moisturizing. I wonder if you might want to consider straining your wash before use if it contains the ground flax seeds. I feel like I've heard people say it can be hard to rinse the bits out otherwise (though I might be misremembering).

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I had to do this with my methi for some reason; it was very grainy and did not want to come out. So I would recommend straining.

I have a bottle of flax gel in the freezer, and have been contemplating the idea of using that, throwing in an "ice cube" of gel into my mix to give it some awesome slip. Someone also mentioned chia seeds a while ago...those might work too, though straining still a must.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Yup, I have to do that with my methi too or I find it hard to wash out. If I strain it, the slip helps get everything else out but for some reason the methi itself clings. Straining can be a pain but I prefer it to dealing with bits in my hair post wash.

Re: plant gels, I find methi, slippery elm, and marshmallow relatively interchangeable as rinse-out conditioners in terms of the effect on my hair. Have yet to try flax or chia but I'm sure I'll get around to it at some point .

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    1 in/23 in/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Can someone explain pre-oiling please? How much oil is involved?

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I think it depends on the person. I saturate my hair, because mine is dry, and leave it to soak overnight. If I don't leave it that long, I have a hard time washing it out.

I know some people use less, but I like mine almost to the point of dripping (not quite, that's an exaggeration, but it's definitely disgustingly greasy when I'm done).
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.