Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 428290919293 LastLast

Thread: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Using Indian Herbs and Oils to grow, Grow, GROW!

Re: pre-oiling, I add a small amount to the last few inches every evening between washes, and then add a bit more to the length the night before I wash. I never really saturate it, just add enough so that it feels heavier and smoother. Hair has such a wide range of responses to oils though, both type and amount.

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Katia_k View Post
    I think it depends on the person. I saturate my hair, because mine is dry, and leave it to soak overnight. If I don't leave it that long, I have a hard time washing it out.

I know some people use less, but I like mine almost to the point of dripping (not quite, that's an exaggeration, but it's definitely disgustingly greasy when I'm done).
    This is how I do it as well. I put conditioner on my hair and leave it on for about 15 minutes before I get ready to hop in the shower and wash everything out. The conditioner helps get enough of the oil out so that shampooing becomes a lot easier.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Does anyone here use Amla oil (Indian Gooseberry)? It was one of the top 5 ingredients in a low poo and conditioner I really liked and would like to try it on it's own.
    Am hoping for tips on how to use it best, and a recommendation on where I can find it. Everything I see seems to be an Amla serum with other ingredients. Is that normal? Or can it be used on it's own?

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by nycelle View Post
    Does anyone here use Amla oil (Indian Gooseberry)? It was one of the top 5 ingredients in a low poo and conditioner I really liked and would like to try it on it's own.
    Am hoping for tips on how to use it best, and a recommendation on where I can find it. Everything I see seems to be an Amla serum with other ingredients. Is that normal? Or can it be used on it's own?
    Amla is very popular in Indian hair care (it also makes a wonderful face mask!). The amla oil you see isn't some pure oil extracted from amla but it is another oil that has had amla fruit soaking in it.
    You can buy the amla powder and mix that up as a hair mask or you can soak some dried amla in oil yourself and use that on your hair and scalp. If you mainly want the effect for the length of your hair then mixing amla powder into a hair mask night be your best bet.
    Oh and of course if you want to just buy the oil that is an option too but i would advise checking what oil the amla has been extracted into before buying it. HTH :-)

Length
    BSL/WL-HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I can vouch for Indian oils. They really do make a difference and add softness and add shine.
    Back when I was in India, oils (parachute coconut oil in winter/ amla in summer) were religiously massaged in our hair. I always had a bit of oil in my hair while I was in school and wash day was only Sunday (no fancy shampoos or conditioners, just Sunsilk) and my hair were so soft and lustrous. As kids we hated the oiling though (think of turning out as Severus Snape in school) and it was common for grandmothers to yell "hey you! come here and let me put some oil in your hair, they are DRY AS STICKS!!"

Sadly, once in high school I wasn't very regular with oiling. Also oils seemed to cause massive shedding, but now that I know better, I believe the shedding is nutrition related. Trying to use oils again, but I definitely cant oil everyday without looking greasy.

Length
    BSL/WL-HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Amla is very popular in Indian hair care (it also makes a wonderful face mask!). The amla oil you see isn't some pure oil extracted from amla but it is another oil that has had amla fruit soaking in it.
    You can buy the amla powder and mix that up as a hair mask or you can soak some dried amla in oil yourself and use that on your hair and scalp. If you mainly want the effect for the length of your hair then mixing amla powder into a hair mask night be your best bet.
    Oh and of course if you want to just buy the oil that is an option too but i would advise checking what oil the amla has been extracted into before buying it. HTH :-)
    Hi ChloeDharma, I am so happy to see a post from you even though I don't really know you. I have seen so many threads and discussions started by you, but I though you have left this forum now.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by priinnz View Post
    Hi ChloeDharma, I am so happy to see a post from you even though I don't really know you. I have seen so many threads and discussions started by you, but I though you have left this forum now.
    Hi there priinnz, thank you for such a friendly comment! I'm still about I just don't post as much as I used to :-)

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    I see.. thanks for explaining.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    1 in/23 in/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

For those of you who use pastes or muds, so you cover you hair or let it air dry?

If so is there a difference in the outcome?

Length
    ~Chin/TBL+/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild494 View Post
    For those of you who use pastes or muds, so you cover you hair or let it air dry?

If so is there a difference in the outcome?
    I recommend covering it with a plastic cap, for what it's worth! On my hair type, it seems to help with tangles and the rinsing out process if it stays damp under the plastic cap. I'm interested to hear of other experiences...
    ~Bleach-free from April 2018~*~No trimming~