Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Cone damage or just dryness?

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Help! Cone damage or just dryness?

i think it takes a while to understand a new rotine. I think you have to try for about 3 weeks to see if it works or doesnt work for you. I had the same problem and now i only use cones from times to times...
    there is a very important thing that is very hard to do it right the first time, that is the quantities of oil ( my favourite is coconut) and in SMT´s not all conditioners work and doing a wrong quantity mix can ruin all.

When i do a clarifying i take about two weeks to recover my normal hair. Clarifying is really drying so you need to really give a lot of moisture first before you start with your rotine.
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

I used to be a product junkie, and all of them LOADED with cones. About a month ago (maybe longer) I decided to clarify and go cone free. Not only was my hair softer, like you said, my routine is much faster. I use the suave naturals coconut one and I shampoo my bangs/roots (only when I work out) and condition the rest of it. After my shower I use coconut oil from the ears down, and then bobby pin my bangs back and pull the rest of my hair into a low messy bun. My hair feels/looks the best it has in a long time, and it’s SO much fast for me in the morning. Cones made my hair look dry and frizzy.
    -Mel

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

my hair did the same thing when i first stopped. it took about 2 weeks of constant conditioner soaks to bring it back to normal..

man people still like cones, I found that it takes my 3a/b hair and makes i more wavy b/c it tend to weigh it down with build up an what not. it's personal choice really
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I also have baby-fine hair and I had the same problem when I quit cones. CO works great for me. My routine is like chrissy-b's. V05 for washing and Biolage for additional conditioning. I also use Camelia oil. It's been almost a year since I quit cones and regular shampooing and my hair is so much healthier now. I do believe the cones were masking my hair's true condition. I have dry hair, but on cones, I thought I had oily hair. As a result I believe I was getting more breakage with the cones.

I don't believe cones themselves are damaging. But I think they mask other problems you might have. In my case, preventing me from giving my hair the moisture it needs.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder why you don't just go back to cones?

There are many here who DO use them and their hair thanks them.

Its important to do what works for YOUm. Cones are not evil or bad, they work with some and not others.

When I use cones I get they yucky hair you describe.

Do what works for you. You don't want to cause more damage fighting tangles. And the point is to enjoy the way your hair looks and feels.

Manderly, good point and I do realize that they work for many people. The reason I don't want to go back to them is because I realized once I quit using them that I actually had BODY in my hair. I can get a flexi 8 to stay!! (Nothing, and I mean nothing stayed in my hair before - I wore it down for two years straight). I thought I had oily hair when I used cones, and washed every day......now I'm to every second or third day and doing fine! I just need to learn a new routine., I guess.

Length
    SL/waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Cones took all the tangles out of my hair, which was nice, and I seemed to have less shed (probably because of the lack of tangles) but it also took all the body out of my hair, making it feel about a third as thick as it should. I don’t like them, but then again I put VO5 hairdressing in and that has no cones but it does have petroleum and lanolin, which doesn’t work at all for some people, but my hair seems to love it.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Thank you to everyone who replied!! I will try the oilings again (can't seem to get the balance right - usually end up either can't tell the difference or greasehead). And maybe I will try a leave in also - my hair is really soft and feels good; if it just wouldn't be so tangly I could handle the moisture problem.

At least I know I'm not alone- there seems to be a "transition time" from what everyone is saying. It's already been three weeks, though.......

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rags View Post
    Manderly, good point and I do realize that they work for many people. The reason I don't want to go back to them is because I realized once I quit using them that I actually had BODY in my hair. I can get a flexi 8 to stay!! (Nothing, and I mean nothing stayed in my hair before - I wore it down for two years straight). I thought I had oily hair when I used cones, and washed every day......now I'm to every second or third day and doing fine! I just need to learn a new routine., I guess.

Perhaps you just need to find a different way to use cones. It's not usually the cones that cause you to have to wash daily, but the harsh SLS poos that go along with it.

You say you've had crummy hair for 3 weeks, I think that's enough for a transition.

I would suggest you try COing with a coney conditioner you like. You may just have to do an occasional clarification wash to strip the buildup, but COing with cones is a very viable option.

Length
    thigh/apl/none
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

The same thing happened to me! I tried my hardest to moisturize my hair and ended up going back to cones after a year or so. My hair's pretty happy now

"Only the shallow know themselves." -Oscar Wilde

Length
    TB/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Cones are fine as long as you still focus on moisture and don't just slap on the more and more cones to make it feel good. Clarify from time to time, and do deep treatments.
    “I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil