Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair Dye over Henna?

Length
    nape/BSL/BCL?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair Dye over Henna?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Ideally, I would like to color my henna so that it blends in with the naturally color that's growing in. I already have almost 3 inches of roots. Now that the roots are longer it doesn't look as bad as it did at first, but I still don't really like the two-tone effect. I'll take all your suggestions to heart.

Originally I used the henna because my hair had become too light from highlighting it and I wanted something different. Unfortunately the henna really built up on my hair, after just a few applications. So my hair lower on my head has that burgundy color, and the lighter/finer previously highlighted hairs towards my face and crown are more red. Now I just don't want to worry about dying or henna-ing or roots or any of it. I want easy hair.
    i have gone back and forth from BAQ henna to dye and back again with no problems.

the only thing i can think *might* cause you trouble would be if your natural color is lighter than the henna... you'd have to find a way to lighten the henna before you dye that hair to match your roots (nightshade did it with sun-in but i'm not sure how sun-in reacts with chemical dye. others have successfully used straight 30vol developer to lighten their hennas).

but if your henna'd sections are lighter, i wouldn't see any problem with going for it, personally. good luck!
    i wish i had used olaplex BEFORE i bleached. sigh.

...henna will be my friend again someday

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    i have gone back and forth from BAQ henna to dye and back again with no problems.

the only thing i can think *might* cause you trouble would be if your natural color is lighter than the henna... you'd have to find a way to lighten the henna before you dye that hair to match your roots (nightshade did it with sun-in but i'm not sure how sun-in reacts with chemical dye. others have successfully used straight 30vol developer to lighten their hennas).

but if your henna'd sections are lighter, i wouldn't see any problem with going for it, personally. good luck!
    Yes, my natural color is lighter than the henna. Darker roots don't look as wierd to me as light roots. Maybe I will give the Sun-In a try and then dye. The thing I'm afraid of is that the ends of my hair are quite light (henna-red, though) because before I was doing henna I was highlighting my hair. I actually have a 3-toned thing going on.

Maybe I'll just live with it until my hair is long enough that I feel ok about chopping off the light ends (they are about 6 inches long at the light part).

All the suggestions have been helpful. I'm afraid I'll make things worse, though. If I do anything, I'll test it well first before going for my full head.
    Lady Parvati, Messenger of Unity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    I looked, but couldn't find a threat about this.

Has anyone ever dyed their hair over BAQ henna?

I'd like to grow out my henna, but it's going to take a long long time, and the henna'd hair is very red while my roots are more of a light brown.
    I have, mainly because I was impatient as well (I could not have red hair for an entire YEAR, that was too much for me).

So, at the time I had extremely long and fluffy hair. I first tried indigo because that seemed like my best bet - my henna company (light mountain natural) states that layers of henna will work, whereas other dyes may have unpredictable outcomes.

I used the color "Medium Brown", a combo of henna and indigo. Left it on my hair for about 2 hours.

This worked amazing. The first day there was absolutely no trace of red. However, as the days went by, even if I hadn't washed my hair, the color began to fade.

In the very end I was left with a darker version of what I started out with. After the indigo dye, I decided to try over the counter hair dye from CVS. I think it was Oila or something, either way the brand probably doesn't matter.

This also had the same affect as indigo, except it faded even sooner.

Overall, I did something SUPER CRAZY that legit nobody would ever do to my hair. I bleached it out. YES, WITH INDIGO. I probably should make a whole thread on this hair story but honestly I am extremely new to this site and have no idea what I am doing.

I was able to get my hair to blonde (YAY!) with just a TINT of grey - not even green, on some strands. And honestly this is totally okay with me, as I am going to dye over my hair with a permanent light ash brown hair dye. This will hopefully even out everything and hide any discolored strands.

*** Oh and I just realized how old this thread is. This info probably isn't useful anymore but it was still nice to share

hennatheem, I am so glad you posted this! Thank you! I am trying to keep my formerly bleached length to a medium to dark auburn. The indigo and katam/buxus I use just keeps fading out, even without washing. I feared using permenant color over the indigo/buxus. Now I am not so scared. Thank you for sharing your journey!