Thread: Coconut Oil Keepage

The one at the end of the row, with the white door
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Coconut Oil Keepage

Anyone know how long Coconut Oil keeps well for? I have some that is past it's use by date but it's unopened. I'm guessing that it might have a use by because it was sold for culinary use.

Thanks chicks and chaps.
    For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves.
    Lady Auxesia of the Springtime Bloom in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Coconut Oil Keepage

I've had mine for over two years. I keep it out in the open on a shelf. It still works great and smells just like it did the day I bought it. If you use yours you'll easily be able to tell if it's still good because it will smell like coconuts. The scent of rancid oil is very, very strong. You'll know if it's bad.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You can keep it in the refrigerator; I think it will last indefinitely. I have a smaller container for upstairs, and when it's empty, I sit the big jar into hot water until it melts, then pour some more into the smaller container.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I keep my main stock in the fridge too, so it keeps pretty much indefinitely.

Easiest thing to do is open your coconut oil. If it smells good, pour a bit off into a small container for regular use, then stick the rest in the fridge. If it stinks, don't use it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

The one at the end of the row, with the white door
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Good call! That probably means I don't need my Dad to buy me more! Wooo! I can get rid of one lot which is open and smells weird, and decant the second lot into the bottle from the first one (which has a nozzle and is better for getting to my sore scalp with).

Thankyou!
    For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves.
    Lady Auxesia of the Springtime Bloom in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You know that coconut oil solidifies at any temperature below about 75 degrees, don't you? I would have a hard time using it from a bottle, unless I warmed the bottle every time, that is. I fear that would make it get rancid rather quickly.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I have had a huge jar(Nutiva) for over a year and have not refridgerated it. I just keep it in the bathroom and it smells as fantastic as ever. I'm glad too, as it is only half gone!!!