Thread: Wooden or Metal Claw Clips, instead of plastic?

Length
    BSL/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

Default Wooden or Metal Claw Clips, instead of plastic?

I love claw clips but constantly break them. My hair is really thick and stubborn, and when I am trying to get the clip to securely hold my hair, I inevitably break off one or several of its teeth. All of my claw clips end up this way - toothless - because they're all made of cheap plastic.

I have been searching for "wooden hair claws" and "wooden claw clips" with no luck. All that's turning up are wood-COLORED plastic claw clips. I'd prefer wood but metal would be fine too... anything other than plastic.

Has anyone ever seen a claw clip made of something other than plastic?

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Wooden or Metal Claw Clips, instead of plastic?

I have a really beautiful metal claw clip of a butterfly I found at Whole Foods. They had multiple colors of them but mine is a white butterfly. They're really nice and the metal is thick yet not heavy since I have a scraggily neck length mullet with fine thin hair and it holds it! Your hair is thick so this may not work for ALL of your hair but I highly recommend!
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    BSL/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

Yesss! That sounds like it could work, AND it gives me an excuse to go to Whole Foods. Thanks for the tip!

there are some great daisies at daisies.com
    Last edited by LeaM07; March 30th, 2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Obscuring spam link

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I recommend claw clips from France Luxe. They're a much higher quality plastic than the usual drugstore sort. They have stronger springs and are seamless--very longhair friendly. They're pricey but IMHO are worth it since they last much longer. Also, I've been able to exchange broken ones for free when the spring broke. (I don't know if that's the case when the teeth break, but I've never broken a tooth on one of these during normal use.)

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    Jaw/31.5"/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Bringing this thread back in the hope some new options have come out since 2011!

I'm looking for wooden claw clips.

I've got a metal claw clip, but sadly it's too heavy for me. I'm hoping to find light (in weight!) wooden claw clips. I've banned myself from buying big plastic claw clips, I get through them so quickly, and I'm trying to reduce our household's plastic waste.

I've looked on etsy, eBay etc., and can only find wood-effect plastic. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Have you tried the Goody Half Moon claw clips? They are plastic, but hold so well when used in pairs, and I think they look good too! LadyLongLocks has past floor length hair and she also swears by them Mine have lasted for years without breaking.

JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Jaw/31.5"/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Have you tried the Goody Half Moon claw clips? They are plastic, but hold so well when used in pairs, and I think they look good too! LadyLongLocks has past floor length hair and she also swears by them Mine have lasted for years without breaking.

Ooh they do look lovely... I'll take a look, thank you It's nice to know there are robust ones out there - ones that last for years sound really attractive, even though they're plastic! Since starting to grow my hair out again, I've not had a claw clip in regular use last for weeks, let alone longer!

BTW, I love how the silver and gold swirls in your bun, that's so gorgeous

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by _fred_ View Post
    Ooh they do look lovely... I'll take a look, thank you It's nice to know there are robust ones out there - ones that last for years sound really attractive, even though they're plastic! Since starting to grow my hair out again, I've not had a claw clip in regular use last for weeks, let alone longer!

BTW, I love how the silver and gold swirls in your bun, that's so gorgeous
    Thank you! I do use them in pairs because they aren't big enough to just use one to hold my hair. They are very comfortable and they do blend a bit with my hair, too!

ETA: They open really wide to hold lots of hair too.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I’ve never tried them, so I can’t speak to quality, but I just walked past some metal claws in Target. $10 and $8, respectively.

Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer