Don't know where to post this, as I'm trying to attract responses from both sides of the haircolouring divide i.e. natural and herbal versus synthetic dyes. If I post it in the 'Recipes for henna and herbal' forum, I may only attract those who are eager to keep me in that field.

I'm thinking of giving up on henna and indigo... The problem is that I have 50% grey showing every week (fast growing hair!) and much as I love the 'natural' aspect of henna and indigo - I just can't cope anymore.

The palaver of mixing carefully (varying the recipe - trying to find the right balance) applying, waiting hours, washing out - and the after smell... it's all getting to me, and ruling my life (or so it seems).

Also, I have just come from H4H and have noted various complaints over time concerning itching skin, headaches etc. following henna/indigo/henindigo. I can relate to this as my head is itching as I type this, from a pure indigo gloss last night. And yes, I always rinse well, shampoo twice, condition, rinse, condition, rinse again... you get the picture. Also, I was aware that I felt shaky and irritable in the hours following, and can't help wondering if there is a link - especially as I seem to notice this after each application.

Seems to me I may as well shake, itch and tremble with commercial dyes as with natural ones.

Just to let you know, I'm medium dark - and so have to use both henna and indigo to get a good result. Don't suit the red of henna alone anyway.

Oh, I don't know... I'm sorry, I'm so fed up with the whole business right now that I don't know what to do. I've been doing henindigo/henna for nearly two years now - so it's not as if I haven't tried to work with it.

It's ok for those who have little or no grey. I'd be fine if that were the case. It's the blasted greys causing the need for frequent rootings, with all the work that natural colouring entails!

I'm seriously thinking of returning to other forms of hairdying (no, I am not ready for grey) and I suppose that means some degree of PPD exposure?

Anybody else made this decision? What did you do for colouring? Are you glad you made the change? Or did you regret it and return to henna etc?

Please share - because I don't want to do anything that I will regret in the long (!) run.